Old 04-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
IndianaBirder

Question Difficult to lift ??

Spring has finally arrived and the wife and I opened up our 2015 A122S camper yesterday afternoon. Once ready to begin pushing up on the two roof panels, we noticed that it was much more difficult that any previous time. We were able to push the panels up and lock them into place, but it was much more of a struggle than ever before. We might be getting a tad older ... but c'mon. This will be the third year using our camper and we love how easy it is to set up (until yesterday). The camper was stored in the down position since November of last year, outside, with a cover.

I did a search of this A-frame Campers site about issues with lifting the panels into place but could not locate any pertinent threads.

Can anyone give me an idea of what / where to look to resolve our issue? Thanks ...

2015 Rockwood A122S

2015 GMC Canyon
tkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
Gold Miner At Heart

Eat some spinach! Seriously just kidding. I have no experience with these but hopefully someone will jump in soon. Have you tried contacting the dealers service dept. for advice?

Old 04-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
IndianaBirder

Yeah, more than likely I will need to:

a.) check the bungee cord and system somehow.

b.) drive 90 miles to the nearest dealer.

c.) enroll in some body building exercise classes !

Hopefully, someone on here will have dealt with this problem and can lead a little guidance.

2015 Rockwood A122S

2015 GMC Canyon
Old 04-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #4

I thought I remembered my 2014 A122 being a little easier to raise when I first bought it. But then I realized I was lifting the wrong handle first. Don't know if I stretched anything by using the front handle to raise instead of the back handle.

It's really the first couple of inches on the back handle that are tough - the handle is located too close to the hinge for good leverage, and you have the weight of the front panel to get started as well. If I move the rear lift handle forward, it will not be reachable at the top (I'm 5ft 9in).

It also makes a difference what the lay of the ground is, and the relative height I am lifting from. Some short folks have experimented with a lift stick with crutch at the top to put the handle in - seems to work for them. I would think that would give better leverage on the 1st few inches for somebody like me.

Might also consider some wax or dry lube in the channels where the two parts lift each other.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
Old 04-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #5

Your lacking lubricant on the inside rail of the front roof panel. Put a small bit of lithium grease on the upper portion of this area...with lifting and lowering the roof a few times you will notice it is both easier to setup and take down
Old 04-17-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
IndianaBirder

I spoke with a salesman and a service technician at the dealer I purchased the A frame and both told me it was probably a broken spring in the lifting mechanism. Trouble is ... I know there are bungee cords helping to lift the panels but I have never heard of this "spring" being discussed on this forum in the past.

Has anyone heard of a "spring", somewhat similar to a garage door type spring, on our type of camper? I suppose there could be and I suppose just like a garage door spring, once broken, makes the garage door very difficult to lift manually. Just not ever seen this discussed before.

Both reps said they have heard about this spring issue before. I've also e-mailed the service department for Forest River to explain the problem and see if they can answer.

2015 Rockwood A122S

2015 GMC Canyon
Old 04-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #7

The lift springs are inside on each corner where the top meets the end, look under the decorative valance ! Not a coil spring but a bar spring mechanism !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	105209  
Old 04-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #8

These torsion bars hardly ever break...they weaken
Old 04-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #9
IndianaBirder

Smile

All ... repair complete. We had our A122S repaired at the manufacturer's facility in Millersburg IN. Believe it or not, the repair took less than 40 minutes and the problem was a broken spring bar on the front of the camper.

After repair, my wife and I are so happy that the roof panels can be pushed up into place with little effort ... just like normal.

Staff at the facility were completely helpful, courteous and pleasant. We were impressed.

They deemed the broken bar "defective" and so there was no cost to us !

Amazing.

2015 Rockwood A122S

2015 GMC Canyon
Old 04-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #10

Awesome. Great news!

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Outdoorsman 5.7L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote