Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #21

I'm not going to say anything about the dealer except this - I doubt very much there is $2K difference - even at full retail - between the 2 models. I would check on-line pricing (RV Wholesalers, a dealer in Connecticut) for realistic selling prices. My dealer - Nolan's in Denver - offers fixed discount pricing. That would be another source.

As far as between the various A122 models, it really depends on your desires and how you camp. I saw a friend's A122BH and was surprised at the small size of the platform. I shouldn't have been, it's in the specs.

Having previously owned a pop-up with a front storage unit, I didn't see the A122s as the end-all, be-all. The front storage area is more useful on an A-Frame because the bed doesn't pull out over it, preventing top access to the storage area. But they are prone to leak and delaminate and have hinges not work very well (my Coleman did all those things).

When we measured our garage and realized the 19ft length of the -bh or -s was going to be a very tight fit, we went with the straight A122 with a length of just over 17ft. We decided we were going to be minimalist campers to take best advantage of the quick setup and take down of an A-frame for overnight camping. All our camping gear (including camp stove, cooking gear, portable BBQ, etc) - except for the food (2 medium coolers), EZ-up, 2 chairs, and 2 duffles with our clothes - are stored in the A122. I only lift the bed once to get the propane lantern and gray water bucket/hose out (they don't fit through the small side hatch) and once to put them back when we are leaving.

If we had the A122s, the EZ-up, chairs, gray water bucket/hose, and propane lantern would go in the front storage, and I would never lift up the bed.

OTOH, the A122bh would be by far the easiest way to carry bicycles, a generator and gas, and other similar stuff. Unfortunately, it would also be easy for less-than-honest people to pilfer expensive items from the platform.

just our experiences and preferences, yours may differ
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
They should make good and give you the 2017 for the same price. That is good will.
X2

Or go else where.
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #23

When you go in they will probably tell you its gone They already sent it back to the factory...............................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:57 AM   #24

I agree with the "good will" and "making good"

principles, although I have a couple of questions -

Did you put any money down on the purchase?

Do you have a sales agreement?

If the answers are yes, then you have legal basis to enforce the good will.

Good luck!
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #25

Well here is the update.

The trailer really was damaged. I verified the information I was given after stopping by the dealership and speaking to the sales manager with a friend who is a RV repair guy. And I am happy that the issue occurred before I took it home as it would have been disastrous for me for it to have happened after I purchased the trailer. From what I understand the damage is unusual, and they do not actually know how it happened, but it involves a structural steel component (can't recall if they said rod or shaft) that has completely snapped. This dealer has never seen this part break before and neither has my friend. Its brings in to question the structural integrity of the entire trailer, so they will not sell it for that reason and it is being returned to the manufacturer. I assume, on the same truck as the 2017s are coming in on.

I have also been offered a substantial credit towards accessories for my new 2017 model instead. I was unable to get the BH (they can't get them in) so will be getting the S model, as I had originally agreed to.

I haven't signed anything yet, so I did shop around. I personally visited a few other dealers and called several more that were too far to drive through. None of them will meet the price I have been offered for the 2017.

A nearby dealer did come close with a different brand. It was a clipper. But it weighs too much for my tow vehicle, and is, frankly, not as pretty or streamlined looking. It also comes with far less (1 propane tank, instead of the two full, no toilet, no grill etc etc)

So, after all that, they really are still offering me the best deal. Yes, I'm still a little annoyed, however the credit to purchase accessories for my new trailer has made me feel better, as has the chat with the sales manager, my RV tech friend, and my salesperson. I will have their offer to me in writing tomorrow.

I do wish this had gone more smoothly, but it is true that the bright side is that it broke on the lot and not on my tow home.
21Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #26

The only thing I remain slightly disappointed about is that I still can't get the BH model.

However, think I can fit my bike inside the folded trailer, since I intend to replace the big table with a tv tray sized one (I camp alone) and I could still store my gasoline and extra spare tire in the front compartment of the S model when I need to carry those things.

But thanks for rallying around me! I sure can feel the love (or sympathetic rage)
Old 06-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I'm curious if you had seen the exact unit before making the deal or if you ordered it in. They may have sold it out from under you but not necessarily.
I was not able to see the exact unit that first day, no. The units I toured that were set up were tagged as sold. It was the paper catalogue that suggested there was one left. What I haven't had clarified to me was whether there was a miscommunication on the lot. That the service department or the sales manager who wasn't there the day I first visited knew the other trailer was unsellable and it was sold to me by mistake, because his first copy of the catalogue did say there were none left but a different copy suggested they had one. I think this is likely where the problem started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
My guess is that the newbie guy at the dealer, moving units around, backed into it and damaged it, or drove the forklift into it.
My guess is that something happened when they moved their stock from their old location to this new temporary location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
As far as between the various A122 models, it really depends on your desires and how you camp. I saw a friend's A122BH and was surprised at the small size of the platform. I shouldn't have been, it's in the specs.

Thanks for the info! I did consider dropping back to the A122 if I couldn't get the A122BH because I really did want the bike rack for a bike specifically.

But I decided to stick with the S instead because even though it isn't the open rack that I had hoped I could get (I can, at another dealer, but they won't come down to the right price) I will still be able to store some things in there that I wouldn't be comfortable storing in the living quarters. Namely my gas can. I travel to some pretty isolated areas, I bring few luxuries but extra necessities. I carry 2-3 spare tires for the trailer, up to two for the car, gasoline, and a toolbox. I go where there are no cell phones and no roadside service, and sometimes no one to help for hours at a stretch if not days.

When I'm not doing THAT I'm using the trailer as my benching area at flyball competitions, which means the front storage will be handy for the extra dog "stuff" needed for that.

I am as minimalist as I can be with my safety in mind! But where I choose to isolate myself does mean I have to be a little extra prepared. However, I am hoping that now that I will have an easier camper to set up than my previous 1000 year old tent trailer that I will do more casual weekends in populated areas as well. Not every trip needs to be a BIG adventure. I need to learn to chill out.

Tags
a122, a122bh