Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #1

Disengage the "Power Roof Lift Assist ?

Hello fellow campers,

I will be ordering either a 2017 A213HW or T21TBHW as soon as Forest River restarts production after the mid-year changes.
My local dealer informed me that the power roof lift assist, or actuator, can be disengaged without having to take the device off of the RV.
I am 6'2 and would have no issues raising the roof manually. Call me impatient, but I've seen the lift assist in action and I think the earth rotated several times before the roof was totally raised.
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge as to the validity of disengaging the roof lift assist?
Please advise and happy camping.
Brimare57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #2

Lift Mechanism

The dealer told me to take off the nut at the top of the lift mechanism arm to disable it and then the lift arm should be slid down below the hinge. Then you can lower the lift manually.
greatblue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblue7 View Post
The dealer told me to take off the nut at the top of the lift mechanism arm to disable it and then the lift arm should be slid down below the hinge. Then you can lower the lift manually.
Thanks for the tip greatblue7. I appreciate that. I hope you find a Rockwood dealer that can help you with your issues good sir.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:44 AM   #4

I must be missing something. When the lift system failed on my a194hw, I had to disconnect both ends to take it off so I could raise the roof. Well, I guess I could have just disconnected one but then the free end would be either hitting the side of the trailer or the ground. If I understand what GreatBlue is saying, there is a way to disable the lift without disconnecting it?
ptchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptchap View Post
I must be missing something. When the lift system failed on my a194hw, I had to disconnect both ends to take it off so I could raise the roof. Well, I guess I could have just disconnected one but then the free end would be either hitting the side of the trailer or the ground. If I understand what GreatBlue is saying, there is a way to disable the lift without disconnecting it?
My dealer ensures me that somehow it can be disengaged without having to remove either end from the trailer. I think I will go back and have him demonstrate it for me.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimare57 View Post
My dealer ensures me that somehow it can be disengaged without having to remove either end from the trailer. I think I will go back and have him demonstrate it for me.
That'd be awesome if you find this out.

2016 212HW led valiantly into the beyond by a 2010 Track Edition Ford Ranger 4x4.

Nights camped 2016: 14
Nights camped 2017: 11 (so far)
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
PLEASE let us know when you find out! Thanks in advance. :-)
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #8

I just got back from the Forest River factory. I specifically asked the representative if the roof actuator can be disengaged without taking the unit off the trailer. He said no. One would have to totally remove the actuator from the trailer if that person wanted to manually raise the roof.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #9

Quote:
I just got back from the Forest River factory. I specifically asked the representative if the roof actuator can be disengaged without taking the unit off the trailer. He said no. One would have to totally remove the actuator from the trailer if that person wanted to manually raise the roof.
When our first one went kaput, we unhooked it from the top (part attached to the roof) to manually lift the roof. We did what we had to do in the camper and made an appt. to have the second lift assist back on. We (again, manually) put the camper down and rebolted the actuator back on at the top, so it didn't flop while driving, leaving the bottom part with the motor (and wiring) still attached.

So WE didn't TOTALLY remove ours from the travel to manually raise the roof.
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, roo, roof