Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
Mountain Goddess

Do I need to winterize before....

Hello, thanks in advance for any help. I'm about to take my FR A Frame up to Wallowa Lake, OR with full hookups (water/elec). The temps will be down to 29 at night, 50s by day. Am I going to be ok with a full water tank with the water heater on or should I go with an empty tank and use the water provided via the hose? Will everything work? (water heater, frig, etc.) First time camping in colder weather. Thanks in advance!
Annabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
WFD

29 by night and back up to 50 by day is fine...it will just hit the 29 mark a bit before sunrise and wont be there very long...a full tank of water would take hours to freeze at temps much colder than that...if hooked up to city water at the campground if temps suddenly went lower than forecast say mid to low 20's then there is a good chance your outside hose could freeze up a bit before temps rebound...if you hear of lows getting much lower than the 29 you may want to consider simply disconnecting your hose outside to prevent freezing up...make sure your propane tanks are full though...you will go through alot of it keeping the trailer warm in those temps....we just did a 3 day trip in similar temps and emptied a propane tank in 3 days.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #3

I have camped or left my camper un-winterised at those temperatures many times without issue.

As long as the furnace is keeping the insides above freezing, the piping will be OK. If the water heater is turned on, it will of course not freeze.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #4

You could also take an electric space heater that way you don't have to use as much propane.
Droes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droes View Post
You could also take an electric space heater that way you don't have to use as much propane.
On our last trip with temps like that we had an electric heater going all night but it couldn't keep up...furnace still ran quite a bit..I am sure it helped though, but just dont count solely on that...also the electric heaters are power hungry, so in the morning, when you are up and about and fire up your coffee maker or toaster or microwave you may want to shut off the heater, otherwise you will likely trip a breaker.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #6

WFD has a 5 wheel, The space heater will be more then you need in the Aframe. We did 15 degrees to 25 degrees day and night in 20 MPH wind, ice storms in Texas and the space heater cycle on and off.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
WFD has a 5 wheel, The space heater will be more then you need in the Aframe. We did 15 degrees to 25 degrees day and night in 20 MPH wind, ice storms in Texas and the space heater cycle on and off.
Sorry about that...I shoulda paid closer attention to what you were camping in!
Old 10-10-2014, 02:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabanana View Post
Hello, thanks in advance for any help. I'm about to take my FR A Frame up to Wallowa Lake, OR with full hookups (water/elec). The temps will be down to 29 at night, 50s by day. Am I going to be ok with a full water tank with the water heater on or should I go with an empty tank and use the water provided via the hose? Will everything work? (water heater, frig, etc.) First time camping in colder weather. Thanks in advance!
I have always disconnected the city water line after I fill the FW tank and stow it inside, and then just use the 12v pump at night. Then in the morning reconnected the city water if the CG line is not frozen. Everything will still work as long as you have power. Make sure your batteries are fully charged incase of an outage and you should be fine. a space heater plugged in should be warm in an "A" frame. That will save your propane and use that for back up. Your weak point will be the hose or CG system.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize