Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #1

Does anyone get separate insurance for popup

for roadside repairs? I was thinking about fixing a flat tire. I have insurance with my auto insurance for accident, damage or theft. Thanks to all ....
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Call your insurance. I thought the same as you until I did call. Its the same, truck towed to the nearest dealer, 5r towed to the nearest CG. Tires or axels same same. GIECO for life!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #3

I just put a call into my agent. Thanks donanddona
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #4

just a sideline to this post .. we have separate insurance for our a-frame. It is covered for theft, fire comprehensive, costs a little more and is well worth it my option. We had a branch of a tree go through the bubble window in 2012 while sitting in the driveway .. fixed without issue.

d-mo
Old 02-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #5

Absolutely, especially if it's brand new! My car insurance will cover damage while being towed, but I have comprehensive coverage on the camper too. If a tree falls on it while camping, I'm covered under that policy.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #6

I've had roadside assistance coverage and not had it. Currently I don't.

For general coverage, this is my normal writeup on insurance from a Texas perspective.

Texas is an "at fault" state, so states with "no fault" laws, in particular, may be entirely different. So can other "at fault" states.

Your auto insurance covered liability attributed to the camper while driving and is sufficient in states that have mandated liability coverage. That is if your camper breaks free and causes damage to someone else's property or person, you are covered for the liability.

The standard auto collision and comprehensive insurance in Texas and states with similar laws covers only listed vehicles and does not cover your camper while driving or any other time. So the damage to your breakaway camper is not covered. Why is it this way? Say the TV is a ten year old Suburban, the owner is paying relatively low comprehensive and collision insurance rates based on the low value of the vehicle, which will be "totaled" for major damage. Attach a $20,000 camper to it and the cost of repair goes way up. So that additional value needs to be accounted for under a rider or separate policy that specifically lists the camper as a covered vehicle. Again this can vary from state to state.

Agents that do not handle campers often can be confused. Particularity the under-trained client service new hires at the agent's office. If the agent say's you are "covered" and the owner does not know specifically what this means in the state, it is important that the owner asks to be shown the section of the policy that covers camper collision and comprehensive coverage.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #7
Love My Sunseeker

I have Progressive, but I also paid extra for AAA Motor Club's RV roadside service. Haven't used it yet.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #8

Excellent explanation tom ...
Up here in Ontario Canada .. where no fault is supposed to exist .. it really doesn't. If you are in the wrong, you or your insurance company will pay ...so insurance for a camper up here is a good thing.

d-mo
Old 02-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #9

We considered it last year but ended up not purchasing any, and now are considering it again this season. The reason we did't get it last year was that that when I tried to get insurance from our home/auto insurer they lost their minds when they found out that the camper has a stove. Apparently fire is a big no-no for some auto insurance companies. Oddly, there were OK with the water...

That said, we are currently looking at GoodSam RV insurance since our current insurance agent is not interested. I like the idea that I can get a replacement of the same model but the current year for the first 5 years, and then get the full purchase price after that in the event of a total loss.

- R

Tags
pop up