Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2016, 09:17 AM   #1

Smile Drives me Buggy !

Now y'all don't laugh, this is a legit question ! We have a new Flagstaff A frame . We have already winterized it and put it up for the winter. My question is how do you prepare it for storage ? We live in the country so there is no shortage of invasive bugs looking for a warm dry place to spend the winter. In the past they invaded our previous pop up. We keep our a frame under cover in our tractor shed with a fabric camper cover. Should we be concerened about moisture and condensation ? Do you seal the vents for fridge, water heater, furnace ?
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:27 AM   #2

There are 1000's of Post on Mice & Lady bugs! Feel free to try any or all of the Ideas! But you will probably still have Lady bugs and Mice visit from time to time! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #3

I dont have an A frame, but we just mouse prof, and put ours in a storage shed down the road as we too live in the country i would thin you would wan to let it breath as. Not to build up ant moisture, but we live in iowa no insects this time of year

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:31 AM   #4

We store our a-frame in the machine shed out back. Normal water system winterization. Leave no food stuff inside. Frig door open. A few sticky traps for potential mouse visitors (if a mouse did get in, I don't want a poisoned one to hide somewhere and die and await discovery after searching for it). No cover on the camper. No problems after 3 years using this system.
lonewolf465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Buy some alum screen at HD/ Lowes....cut to fit ALL and use heat duck tape to tape in...If you've got A/C, take outside cover off and screen it also.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrode View Post
I dont have an A frame, but we just mouse prof, and put ours in a storage shed down the road as we too live in the country i would thin you would wan to let it breath as. Not to build up ant moisture, but we live in iowa no insects this time of year
X2. Ours is stored inside on a farm on high ground near Washington, Missouri. So far, no bugs, mice or flood waters!!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #7

I've never had a problem with bugs during storage but we live in Indiana so after a freeze, they're done anyway. Mice are a different problem however. We have always used mothballs and not had a problem. I know others have used dryer sheets, some with not so good results. Mothballs are also an excellent elephant deterrent. In all our years of using mothballs, never had a problem with elephants.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
Left Coast

How do you know...you full timing?
Old 01-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice ! In Liberty North Carolina we still have not had a hard freeze so the bugs are still out ! Those devils are looking for anyplace dry to hide till spring. I like the idea of screen. Screen would still allow air circulation without contributing to moisture buildup !
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
Left Coast

All the 'hard liners' in your area convinced me on the screen'n.......wasn't 2 days later, found mud doppers had built nest on A/C fan....and that was out here... lis'n to the old guys there, a ton of great ideas
Old 01-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

I like to keep everything covered up with a breathable cover. In northern Illinois, gets cold and lots of weather. Mice are always a problem. Mothballs seem to work the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1451674451752.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	97127   Click image for larger version

Name:	1451674472738.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	97128  
ccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #12

I also screened the fridge and furnace vents. Caulked all floor openings.
ccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #13

I check for tracks in the snow , like any good outdoorsman.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #14
Left Coast

Those are deer...not mice!
Old 01-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #15

Lady bugs good, Japanese beetles bite, stink-no good, hide everywhere. How do you tell the difference? Lady bugs good in garden, Japanese beetles bite, stink, hide everywhere.

We have found that "roach tabs" work well for roaches, silverfish and some other crawlies. They are odorless and can be spread around inside the camper.These also work very well in fixed dwellings.

Moth balls help as a rodent deterrent. I scatter a bunch of them around the wheels and underneath the camper.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #16

Went to farm store bought a product called cab fresh. Comes in small packets . Just put them in multiple places. Designed to keep rodents out and don't smell to bad either.
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote