Old 09-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #11

Thanks for not being too serious about DHMO. Keeping the crud out of my RV is the reason we use the filter as well. Don't usually use the onboard tank for drinking either because I can't seem to get rid of the rasberry antifreeze taste and smell. Have tried a number of fixes but it persists. So, just use it for hands and dishes. Have a 4gal IcyTek water cooler to fil with ice an fresh water from home that does the trick....and ice cold beer! Which I now read has DMHO in it....lol.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:36 PM   #12

We have taken the built in filters out of the last two rigs. Too much a pita to keep up with. We do use bottled water for drinking/coffee. If we are somewhere for awhile that has nasty water we might use the portable filter at the spigot.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #13

We use bottled water for drinking and cooking. I do use an inline filter to keep crud out of the water lines and faucet screens. I always keep 30 - 60 gallons of water from home in the FW tank just in case stuff happens.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:23 PM   #14

We use inline filter to keep crud out of the water system. We use bottled water for drinking and cooking. I have an onboard filter but have never installed the cartridge.

Our first time out this year I was filling the onboard tank and the water slowed to a trickle. When I took the inline filter off I found green sludge from the parks water system had clogged the filter. I believe they were just turning on the water system for the year and the green sludge was from the park water system sitting over the winter.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeItEasy View Post
We use inline filter to keep crud out of the water system. We use bottled water for drinking and cooking. I have an onboard filter but have never installed the cartridge.

Our first time out this year I was filling the onboard tank and the water slowed to a trickle. When I took the inline filter off I found green sludge from the parks water system had clogged the filter. I believe they were just turning on the water system for the year and the green sludge was from the park water system sitting over the winter.
Over the decades I found problems a couple times. Now I run the faucet for 10 - 15 seconds before I connect my hose then another few seconds before connecting the hose to the 5er.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Over the decades I found problems a couple times. Now I run the faucet for 10 - 15 seconds before I connect my hose then another few seconds before connecting the hose to the 5er.
I too run the faucet for a couple seconds before hooking up. That is a habit I picked up after I found bugs crawling out of the faucet before hoking up one time.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #17

I have said this and believe it.. "Living is hazardous to your health!"

There was just an article in the WSJ about letting your kids get really dirty when they are young. Let em play in the dirt and eat junk off the ground. Helps build up their immune system. That is how I grew up, barefoot and dirty most of the time.

Now im not saying drink poisonous water but use common sense. We use bottled water for drinking but I will brush my teeth with spigot water and use it to cook. It just seems to me the filters could be a breeding ground for bacteria as they sit not used for long periods of time, sometimes in a very hot climate, without fresh cool or cold water flowing thru them and you can't sanitize them like you can your holding tank..... Just saying.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:58 PM   #18

DHMO contamination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_and_Abby View Post
We should all be aware, of the threat posed to our water, by DHMO contamination. Locally, a lot of our neighbors were caught completely off guard by the recent rainy weather, and are now contending with DHMO contamination.
We had DHMO in the neighborhood swimming pool. What a pain. It had to be completely drained to remove the DHMO. It cost a bundle. Thank goodness it no one was swimming at the time, excess immersion in water mixed with DHMO is a little known but significant cause of drowning.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
This may be a dumb question, but I'm curious about what others think.
They are cheap and some people like them. I would guess that the filter manufacture provides the housing to FR at cost or below just to get the replacement filter sales. So they get included to help make the RV sale. Any claim to a material benefit to health of filters is pretty questionable and I bet the manufacturers don't make any specific claims about health or performance either.

My home fridge has one and it costs $50 to replace. It's a rip off as far as I'm concerned because our tap water is very good. I'll check closer when we buy a new fridge in another 15 years or so.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:05 AM   #20

Dumb Question

Since I posted this thread, it seems to me a kind of consensus exists among the respondents: (1) most people use bottled water to drink, camp water for everything else, (2) few people like the manufacturer-installed water filters and, (3) if they use them, they do it to keep crud from clogging the camper's water pump filter. I hadn't thought about #3 when I posted this question. So thanks for the additional info!

kdot

kdot is offline   Reply With Quote