Old 10-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

electric brakes on Rockwood A128S

I adjusted my TV brake controller all the way up to 10 volts and still do not get the trailers brakes to lock up. Does anyone else notice this? The usual procedure to adjust brake controller is to increase the voltage until lock up, then back off on the voltage a bit to get the proper braking. Do these Aframe brakes not lock up?

2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You need to adjust the brakes on the trailer it sounds like.
There not automatic like cars.
Periodically they need adjustment.

Turbs

Old 10-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #3

Mine do not lock. But they will grab enough at the highest setting that the TV/camper combo will brake much more quickly than the TV does alone, for any given peddle pressure. I just back them off from that point until stopping while towing feels just a bit tighter than normal driving.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Mine do not lock. But they will grab enough at the highest setting that the TV/camper combo will brake much more quickly than the TV does alone, for any given peddle pressure. I just back them off from that point until stopping while towing feels just a bit tighter than normal driving.
Sounds good...I do note what you described, and will follow the same procedure. Thanks.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #5

X2 on Pooneil's post ..
Old 10-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #6

Your welcome, Big Vic.

As an aside, I also find that the trailer brakes don't work at full capacity if the camper hasn't been out for a while. So I use the emergency lever on the controler to drag the brakes a bit and knock the debris off.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 12-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
World Traveler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
I adjusted my TV brake controller all the way up to 10 volts and still do not get the trailers brakes to lock up. Does anyone else notice this? The usual procedure to adjust brake controller is to increase the voltage until lock up, then back off on the voltage a bit to get the proper braking. Do these Aframe brakes not lock up?
I picked up my brand new A194HW and as I was driving off I notice the trailer brakes did not work At all and I immediately turned right back into the Lot and told them and they had the service dept adj the brakes right there and Now my work great at 4-5 on the controller. So they come in needing a adjustment and as they wear you will have to do them again periodically.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #8

I'd appreciate any input for assistance. We purchased a new A128S late in the year. I currently have an older Tahoe and have ordered a new Chevy Colorado that we'll receive in February. My Tahoe has a 7-pin electrical hook-up and so will the Colorado. The elect brakes on the camper did not engage with the Tahoe elect hook-up and I'm guessing it also won't with the Colorado.

I believe what I need to get is a separate electrical brake accessory device from a hitch company and have it installed so the electrical brakes on the trailer so they will work?? I've heard that these mount on/under the dash board of the TV and are wired back to the 7-wire connection. I towed a boat for years and never had electrical brakes so I have zero experience with them.

Thanks for any assistance.

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #9

Hi Big Red - yes, you are correct. You'd need a brake controller installed (most of them are plug and play on newer vehicles) since the electrical current controlling the brake force is supplied by a brake controller. You'll find it'll stop pretty good once it's installed!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #10

The most widely recommended brake controller I've seen is the Tekonsha - Prodigy P2. I have the older P1 and it is a set and forget system that uses a motion detector to match the pace of TV slowing to the trailer braking power. When you brake lightly in town, so does the trailer. When you hit the brakes hard on the highway, the camper brakes grip hard too. Other manufactures use a similar system now, so some other brands may be as good, but I know this one is very good.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Tags
a128, a128s, brakes, electric, rockwood