Old 12-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #11

How does the power lift system work? Presumably there is an outside switch. Does it lift the back half of the roof all the way up so it locks into place? Does it automatically shut off when the roof is up? How about disengagement of the roof halves and lowering?

I suppose I could visit my dealer to figure this out, but they are a good way from home. So I thought I'd ask here.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #12

The power system works by extending a lift rod mounted externally next to the CoolCat and Water Fill. Look closely at the picture Here and you can see it.

After parking / stabilizing / and everything you do to any trailer the first step in "raising the roof" is to undo the two side latches just like on any other A-Frame.

Next, there is a switch on the outside, beside the door, for the power lift.

Note: My dealer recommended manually pushing up on the front roof section slightly to get it "loose" before using the power lift. I take tips like this one from service techs seriously as it can save me money later.

When you raise the roof it is being lifted from the rear section and it does go all the way up and "lock" in place. After it reaches the top of the front section the jacking arm is fully extended so it does automatically shut off as such.

When lower the roof you give the front section a push, using the handle to break it loose. After that using the power lift, in Down Mode, pulls down the front down with the "bungee cords" just like on a non-powered roof.

Couple of tips:

To lock the roof down for transport use one arm to apply downward pressure, leaning on the roof, while closing the latch with your other hand.

I keep a microfiber towel handy to wipe off the support rods before lowering the roof. That way no excess dirt, water, or other crude is forced in to the units. I suspect the power lift unit won't be cheap to replace...

As I mentioned in another post the power lift unit has an in-line fuse collocated in the CoolCat compartment.

If the unit should fail while on a trip I was advised to remove it using the pivot nuts at the top and bottom mounts. You will also need to disconnect the wiring harness, at the fuse, to take the unit off the trailer.

That help?

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #13

Thanks for the run through.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #14

Just a quick update. I was at a RV Show today and they had a new Rockwood A194HW on display and it did have the power roof lift installed.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #15

RedLdr1---thanks for the update. Do you know what model year the A194HW was? I doubt if it will do me any good, but I can call FR and ask what's up with only some having them AFTER I was told mine should have the auto. lift.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #16

Is it possible to have this option added to an existing camper?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjaz View Post
Do you know what model year the A194HW was?
According to the display info it was a 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwesty View Post
Is it possible to have this option added to an existing camper?
Since there are no major changes to the trailer itself, other than adding the reinforcing pads and wiring for the lift, it might well be possible... I wouldn't say it would be economical though...

Old 01-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #18

I guess I'll just have to work on those biceps! I like the idea of the power lift, but it's just one more thing to break!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwesty View Post
I guess I'll just have to work on those biceps! I like the idea of the power lift, but it's just one more thing to break!
I'm concerned about breakage as well. Enough so that I had the tech who did our PDI show me the best way to remove the unit if it fails while on the road. The good news is I don't have a real "need" for the lift but it came as standard on our trailer. To me its just one of those fancy things to "show off" with at the campground...

Old 01-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #20

To heck with the power lift! We picked up our camper two weeks ago and it has been colder than you know what since we got home! It looks really great in the garage, but I can't wait to see it at the camp site! I like to surf the forums, but I'm suffering from camping withdrawal!!!

2003 Shasta Fifth wheel
kcwesty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, electric, frame, roo, roof