Old 12-12-2013, 04:22 AM   #11
Site Team
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Maybe something like this, then use a 15 amp adapter at the end of it. You could probably cut the hand grips off to give you even more room towards the fence. Camco 55522 18" 30 AMP Standard Male / 30 AMP 90 Degree Locking Female PowerGrip Adapter: Automotive
Carla, the more I think on this, the more I wouldn't recommend cutting the locking ring off if you get this adapter (which you could cut the handle off no problem)................or in using any adapter that doesn't have a locking ring already on it.

The reason I say this, is the NEMA L5-30R connection (the part that twist locks to your RV) really needs that locking ring on it for two purposes.

1. The locking ring will help hold the connection in place. If you don't do the actual little final twist all the way, or it comes loose, you can get what is called electrical arcing across the connections in the cord and trailers inlet. Over time this can ruin either or both. There are several forum threads that show where other members have had this unfortunate problem.

2. The locking ring also helps hold the connection tight to prevent rainwater from entering.......which you also don't want water on an electrical connection.

The RV place you picked this up from may have had a connector in place to quickly run electricity for your PDI, but from the way you describe the connector they were using, it wouldn't be recommended for long term you are about to do....which sounds like you are going to keep it plugged in while near the neighbors fence.

Just a little heads up on another thing, but it may or may not apply to you (if you don't have an air-conditioner in your RV). If you do use the 30 amp to 15 amp adapter (that let's you plug into a regular household outlet/extension cord), then you are limited to using less amps (15 to 20 usually). You may not want to use an Air conditioner (if equipped) when plugged in this it could ruin the AC or overheat the connections/cords. I know in the dead of winter, most people aren't thinking of Air Conditioning, but warm weather will be here eventually.

2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I've just ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon.... I will keep you posted.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou
Lots of replies while I was looking. I found what I was looking for in a complete cord; but I know they also make an adapter for your existing cord set.

Right Angle Locking Cordset - $69.94

or you could combine this

with this

if you just use it to keep the batteries warm and charged.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Marinco 1RPCRV Right Angle 30 Amp Adapter

Thanks Lou and Laura. THIS looks like the one that is going to work for us. Just need to keep something plugged in there so we can attach elect to it the night before we head out without having to pull the trailer out to do it. Puts the last boost on the batteries and cools down the fridge before we pack it.

Thanks wmtire for the caution about the proper electrical connection. This will be plugged into the trailer while it is stored. Glad to have found something low profile that is water tight. It will not be plugged into elect the whole time during storage though. We keep a trickle solar charger on it for storage.

Thanks for your help everyone.
2014 A122BH
18 Trips
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Carla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #14
Site Team
Originally Posted by Carla View Post

Thanks for your help everyone.
Glad to hear it and you're very welcome.

We just now need you to send in your payment of one small child to

Rumpelstiltskin RV Consultants
P.O. Box 1234
Pueblo, Colorado 55555

2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I've just ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon.... I will keep you posted.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

electric, electrical