Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #1

Electrical Connector/Adaptor

Can anyone tell me where to find an electrical connector for the outside of the trailer? When we picked up our A122BH, the electrical was plugged in with a yellow extension/adaptor to a regular extension cord. We would like one of those yellow adaptors because we store the trailer right up against the fence on that side and the black cord that came with the trailer sticks out FAR. I've bought two different yellow adaptors and neither were right. Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to get? Thanks for any help you can provide.
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Carla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Site Team

If I understand this correct, you are wanting an adapter that plugs into your camper's inlet directly, and then immediately converts the 30 amp twist lock connection to where you can plug in a regular 15 amp extension cord....thus bypassing the campers 30 amp detachable power cord completely?

Is this correct or is it something else? If so, then maybe this:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping....YzaftVkG.dpbs

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Site Team

i'm also not sure what you're asking but if you're asking to adapt a 30 amp RV plug to a home-type 15 amp outlet, just get a 30 to 15 amp adapter.
Walmart carries them along with hardware stores, RV parts/dealers and CW.
or from the internet vendors.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #4

Just like the one wmtire posted but....
didn't stick out like our black cord and the one posted,
about 12-18 inches that would plug to a regular extension cord, (probably with that black adaptor plug)
but hung directly down rather than sticking out.
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Old 12-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla View Post
Just like the one wmtire posted but....
didn't stick out like our black cord and the one posted,
about 12-18 inches that would plug to a regular extension cord, (probably with that black adaptor plug)
but hung directly down rather than sticking out.
Ok, I think I understand. It did an immediate "L" downwards as soon as it came out of the trailer inlet.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Maybe something like this, then use a 15 amp adapter at the end of it. You could probably cut the hand grips off to give you even more room towards the fence.

Amazon.com: Camco 55522 18" 30 AMP Standard Male / 30 AMP 90 Degree Locking Female PowerGrip Adapter: Automotive

Old 12-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #7

This Hubbell adapter might work as well - can't tell with 100% certainty. Google that part, though, as I think you can finder it cheaper than this listing.

Hubbell HBL31CM29 Adapter 15A Female to 30A Male Model HBL31CM29 | eBay

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #8

I could not find a part for what you need on Furrion's web site. You might give it a look though.

RV Camp Power - Electrical

Is there any way you can mod the fence to give you the room you need? Short of that, a change of the entire power inlet to one with a standard RV plug might suit your needs.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Ok, I think I understand. It did an immediate "L" downwards as soon as it came out of the trailer inlet.
Yes, an L and it didn't have the screw ring or the handle, it just plugged right in.

Can't modify fence, it is property line with neighbor's narrow side yard. And changing the entire power inlet seems a bit extreme when I know there is something out there that will work for me.

I've found 30 to 15 amp pigtails, but they didn't have the right plug configuration. They had round pins and wouldn't fit with that locking pin we have.

I don't even need it to be 30 to 15 amp adapter as I have that black block that does that trick.

Guess I'll just have to keep trying to get past the receptionist to the techs at the dealer to learn what they used and where I can get one....
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Old 12-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Yes, an L and it didn't have the screw ring or the handle, it just plugged right in.

Can't modify fence, it is property line with neighbor's narrow side yard. And changing the entire power inlet seems a bit extreme when I know there is something out there that will work for me.

I've found 30 to 15 amp pigtails, but they didn't have the right plug configuration. They had round pins and wouldn't fit with that locking pin we have.

I don't even need it to be 30 to 15 amp adapter as I have that black block that does that trick.

Guess I'll just have to keep trying to get past the receptionist to the techs at the dealer to learn what they used and where I can get one....
Is the Camco 55522 18" 30 AMP Standard Male / 30 AMP 90 Degree Locking Female PowerGrip Adapter that wmtire suggested not what you are looking for? You can cut the handle off and the screw on ring shouldn't bother you and if it does, cut it off also.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Maybe something like this, then use a 15 amp adapter at the end of it. You could probably cut the hand grips off to give you even more room towards the fence.

Amazon.com: Camco 55522 18" 30 AMP Standard Male / 30 AMP 90 Degree Locking Female PowerGrip Adapter: Automotive
Carla, the more I think on this, the more I wouldn't recommend cutting the locking ring off if you get this adapter (which you could cut the handle off no problem)................or in using any adapter that doesn't have a locking ring already on it.

The reason I say this, is the NEMA L5-30R connection (the part that twist locks to your RV) really needs that locking ring on it for two purposes.

1. The locking ring will help hold the connection in place. If you don't do the actual little final twist all the way, or it comes loose, you can get what is called electrical arcing across the connections in the cord and trailers inlet. Over time this can ruin either or both. There are several forum threads that show where other members have had this unfortunate problem.

2. The locking ring also helps hold the connection tight to prevent rainwater from entering.......which you also don't want water on an electrical connection.

The RV place you picked this up from may have had a connector in place to quickly run electricity for your PDI, but from the way you describe the connector they were using, it wouldn't be recommended for long term use....like you are about to do....which sounds like you are going to keep it plugged in while near the neighbors fence.

Just a little heads up on another thing, but it may or may not apply to you (if you don't have an air-conditioner in your RV). If you do use the 30 amp to 15 amp adapter (that let's you plug into a regular household outlet/extension cord), then you are limited to using less amps (15 to 20 usually). You may not want to use an Air conditioner (if equipped) when plugged in this way.......as it could ruin the AC or overheat the connections/cords. I know in the dead of winter, most people aren't thinking of Air Conditioning, but warm weather will be here eventually.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Lots of replies while I was looking. I found what I was looking for in a complete cord; but I know they also make an adapter for your existing cord set.

Right Angle Locking Cordset - $69.94

FOUND THE ADAPTER!

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Right-...-p/55-3760.htm

or you could combine this

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/power-...-p/19-0637.htm

with this

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Camco-...-p/55-8479.htm

if you just use it to keep the batteries warm and charged.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #13

Marinco 1RPCRV Right Angle 30 Amp Adapter

Thanks Lou and Laura. THIS looks like the one that is going to work for us. Just need to keep something plugged in there so we can attach elect to it the night before we head out without having to pull the trailer out to do it. Puts the last boost on the batteries and cools down the fridge before we pack it.

Thanks wmtire for the caution about the proper electrical connection. This will be plugged into the trailer while it is stored. Glad to have found something low profile that is water tight. It will not be plugged into elect the whole time during storage though. We keep a trickle solar charger on it for storage.

Thanks for your help everyone.
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Old 12-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:

Thanks for your help everyone.
Glad to hear it and you're very welcome.

We just now need you to send in your payment of one small child to

Rumpelstiltskin RV Consultants
P.O. Box 1234
Pueblo, Colorado 55555

Tags
electric, electrical