Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #1

Enlosed Storage Locker for Front Rack

Hello Everybody! I have been researching A-frames extensively and have settled on the Flagstaff series for my purchase next spring - My only dilema is I want a unit with the full rear bed as found in the T 12RB, AND I want an enclosed front storage locker as found on the T12DDST .... unfortunately such a layout is not offered in either the FR or Rockwood models.

That leaves me with choosing the T 12BH that has the expanded metal front rack ....

Has anyone out in the Forum manufactured an enclosed locker to fit on the front rack?

PS - after years of tent camping can't wait for my own A-frame!
RedTruckVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #2

I have a rooftop cargo carrier mounted and sometimes my truck box also. I just drop the bolts through the box, then through the expanded metal and put a metel brace and a wingnut to tighten it down.
BelgianSquiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #3

You could use one of those diamond-plate or aluminum tool-boxes like you see in pickup trucks as a weather-tight box.

Also, if you can tow it, do check out the "Toy Hauler" version as well, which has a larger cargo rack on the front. Even though it doesn't have a bed in it, you could just leave one of the seating areas in the down position and get a better mattress and boom you have a bed. With the larger cargo rack, it would be able to have a truck box permanently installed AND still have room for lots of other stuff.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:01 AM   #4

Depending on how the trailer will be used, you might just consider using a portable box versus a mounted one...here is a picture of ours with a portable box we took along on our last trip (see black box on deck)...eventually we plan to bring along dual purpose motorcycles (him a Kawasaki KLR650, me a Yamaha XT250)

Farfromstock posted pictures of their mounted toolbox on their toy deck - sure looked great! I have used our deck 10x over...when we take motorcycles, we will lose ability to carry anything more on the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-31 17.11.20-1-1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	19585  
Attached Images

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #5

Depending on how the trailer will be used, you might just consider using a portable box versus a mounted one...here is a picture of ours with a portable box we took along on our last trip (see black box on deck)...eventually we plan to bring along dual purpose motorcycles (him a Kawasaki KLR650, me a Yamaha XT250)

Farfromstock posted pictures of their mounted toolbox on their toy deck - sure looked great! I have used our deck 10x over...when we take motorcycles, I will lose ability to carry anything more on the deck...I am still working on DH to agree with me in a purchase of a dunebuggy...but he wants to stick with street legal 'in case' we want to see a town's local sights in addition to campgrounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-31 17.11.20-1-1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	19584  
Attached Images

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #6

We installed a storage box we got from Tractor Supply. It's one that is made for a pickup, but we thought it would be perfect for our A127TH...and it is!!! We store our EZup canopy, folding chairs, generator, and still have room for lots more!!

2012 Ford Raptor
Camping born-on date: 21 July 2012
Nights camped: 2014-3 (so far!!); 2013-16; 2012-2 nights
FarFromStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #7

RedTruckVC

We have the Rockwood A128S (Flagstaff T12DDST I believe) which has the enclosed front storage "trunk" and the double dinette. We keep the rear dinette down all the time and have a regular double mattress there. This gave us the storage we wanted and the option of the permanent bed or a dinette. Right now there is just the 2 of us so we use the regular dbl mattress and leave the rear dinette down ,and the cushions at home. I suppose if we were travelling with another couple or (future) grandkids we would leave the mattress home and use the rear dinette as it was designed. We liked the flexibility and also thinking that should we ever decide to sell the unit the dbl dinette model may have broader appeal.
The front storage is great, you just have to watch tongue weight.

Food for thought.