Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #21

So Here's what I've gotten from everyone so far, I may start a new thread that hopefully will become a sticky (because I can't edit my first post) so people don't have to search for this info.

It can be hard for a new owner to know what to supply their new camper with and what not to bring. One of the best suggestions (by dts3204) was to "Solution Mark" everything with blue painters tape at the beginning of the season and remove the tape as you use an item (Note never do this to first aid kit or tools). You will be surprised what you don't use. I asked forum members what they thought were essential and helpful items and decided to put together this list from the responses I got. This should be used as a guide to get you started but ultimately.
  1. Back-up Camera behind Trailer
  2. Gel foam topper for the bed
  3. Storage shelves/containers
  4. Food Prep/cleaning items (buy compact collapsible if possible)
  5. Coffee Maker - Some use a water boiler and french press but the smaller the better
  6. Replacement Locks for outdoor storage and shower doors (it seems that all campers are keyed alike)
  7. Collapsible wagon - good for hauling firewood or items to a friends campsite
  8. Grey water container and a short hose to connect it to your drain
  9. Spare water containers for sites without full hook-ups
  10. Water inlet/outlet adapters (90 and 45 degree)
  11. Water Bandit (adapter for stripped or leaky water hookups)
  12. Drinking water hose
  13. Water Filter
  14. Water pressure regulator
  15. Secure key hooks to hold a spare set of keys
  16. Smaller folding table to replace the larger dinette table
  17. Bubble levels for the front and side
  18. Leveling Blocks (many people swear by the Anderson leveler and chocks)
  19. Wood blocks for leveling
  20. LED strip light to add to the peak of the roof for ambient lighting
  21. EZ-Up Canopy Awning
  22. Comfortable camp chairs
  23. Privacy tent for the Porta Potti and outdoor shower
  24. Camp mat/rug (shower mat for the exterior shower)
  25. Consider making a pattern and having a carpet shop bind a remnant to fit the inside of your camper
  26. Corner protection to protect the storage cover (pool noodles, cutout tennis balls, etc.)
  27. Electrical adapters - 50 Amp to 30 Amp adapter and 15 Amp to 30 Amp adapter
  28. Extension Cord 50' 30Amp
  29. Electrical Management System (EMS) or Surge protector to plug into the campground/site power pedestal (or hard wired unit)
  30. Steel braided security cable and lock to lock up items outside your camper incase you wish to leave
  31. Battery powered self stick LED touch lamps/nite lights
  32. Stadium cushions for sitting and kneeling on
  33. Wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer to measure temperature inside of refrigerator from tow vehicle (costs is about $10 from Walmart)
  34. Spare AA/AAA/9V batteries
  35. Tubeless tire repair kit

Tool kit with the following items:

• Ratchet/sockets
  • Screw drivers (or multi-driver)
  • Screw driver bits (including square bits)
  • Pliers
  • Torpedo Level
  • Adjutsable wrench(s)
  • Tape measure
  • Multimeter
  • Electrical tape
  • Electrical Connectors
  • Spare fuses
  • Breaker bar or torque wrench with socket that fits lug nuts, spare lug nuts.
  • Epoxy
  • Super glue
  • Duct tape
  • Various sizes of zip ties
  • Ratchet (tiedown) straps
  • 50' 12V primary wire
  • Blue funnel for water
  • Red funnel for fuel/oil
  • Cordless drill
  • Air Compressor (Ryobi makes a cordless drill and compressor that use the same battery)
  • Tire pressure gauge
Fire Pit Tools:

• Axe
  • hatchet
  • splitting maul
  • shovel
  • portable fire pit
  • fire starters/extingquishers
  • fire poker
Long Term Boondocking Supplies:

• Dual 12V or quad 6V Deep Cycle Batteries
  • 80-120 Watt Solar Panel
  • Generator
  • Generator Fuel
Feel free to suggest more items and I'll update the list.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
p40whk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #22

That's a great list! Starting our 2nd yr. with an A-frame.....going to compare with what we have.

Happy travels!
Around the Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #23
OYO

If you have a power tongue lift it's a good idea to keep the motor housing covered. Folks have reported water damaging switches and motors. Our LED light is ruined.

I got this wet bag from REI Garage pretty cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180201_152937.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	161415  
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
Got a smaller folding table for the dinette (unsure of what to do with the old one and how to make use of the bed now)
We did the same thing. I purchased a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and cut to fit where the old dinette would fit to support the bed. I then cut approximately 12 inches off the plywood. This piece stays in place and is used to set totes, etc, on. The larger piece fits under the bed in the storage area. If needed, we just pull in out and make up the second bed. I few pieces of Velrco hold both securely in place.
lonewolf465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
If you have a power tongue lift it's a good idea to keep the motor housing covered. Folks have reported water damaging switches and motors. Our LED light is ruined.

I got this wet bag from REI Garage pretty cheap.

OYO, I had a plastic bag over mine till the wind blew it off. Will check REI Garage thanks for the tip
Old 02-01-2018, 05:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf465 View Post
We did the same thing. I purchased a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and cut to fit where the old dinette would fit to support the bed. I then cut approximately 12 inches off the plywood. This piece stays in place and is used to set totes, etc, on. The larger piece fits under the bed in the storage area. If needed, we just pull in out and make up the second bed. I few pieces of Velrco hold both securely in place.

Lonewolf, got any pics to share?
Old 02-01-2018, 06:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Lonewolf, got any pics to share?
Sorry, the a-frame is in storage in our shed. Behind a bunch of equipment, a tractor and snowblower. Anxiously awaiting spring!! We hit double figures above zero today!
lonewolf465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #28

One of the first things we did was change the bench seat storage door to open from the short end instead of the long end. That made it easier to access with the table in place. Then we quickly decided that table was way too big even to sit at so we don't use it inside the camper, we set it up outside as a food prep station. I found a small folding bistro table at target so we use that inside instead. However - When I accessed the bench seat storage, I used a shower curtain rod to prop open the door. Which wasn't ideal - no, I'll say it was downright dangerous after whacking myself in the head several times when the rod shifted while I was digging in the storage area. The last time it happened, I bled a little and saw stars for a while so I told my sweet husband (again) we needed to find a safer way to keep that door open. His excellent idea was gas powered shocks. So while he was doing that little modification, he also addressed my itty bitty bladder issue and installed a hidden potty for night time use so that I don't have to wander to the outhouse in the middle of the night. Air shocks found on Amazon - all potty parts found at Walmart. There is a small household bucket under the seat that holds the bag in place. The bag comes up through the hole and the seat sets over the top of it. He put 4 little rubber stopper things around the seat to keep it from sliding around. The bucket just prevents anything from hitting the bag and is a security feature incase of a leaky bag but these things are super heavy duty and double ply. I also bought a bottle of camp toilet deodorizer liquid and pour just a tiny big in the bag to help with odor though we never really noticed anything. We are gearing up for Season 3 with this little A Frame. Super excited for warmer weather to get it pulled out and PURGED. We found we had at least 1 of everything and used less than half of what we took each time. So this years goal is to go MINIMALIST! Easy up - easy down - make due or do without! Hope these modifications help or inspire!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23316639_10155949349517386_5170541483233847399_n.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	162011   Click image for larger version

Name:	23167751_10155949349537386_7692540748647873644_n.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	162012   Click image for larger version

Name:	23319416_10155949349522386_5741674177415441603_n.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	162013   Click image for larger version

Name:	23379870_10155949349532386_1707489341380903570_n.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	162014   Click image for larger version

Name:	23231260_10155949349682386_2548007655782506991_n.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	162015  

2019 Forest River MicroLite 21FBRS
We are 2 new empty nesters who used to back pack and tent camp. Now we are learning to RV!
Follow our adventures at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6r...KCvkpBJyxQMDMA
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:31 AM   #29

Nice mods Mama! I'll have to take advantage of the compartment idea.

On another note, if anyone is looking to outfit their new camper and you have an Ikea store close by, they have a ton of small organizational, lighting and kitchen items at great prices.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Nice mods Mama! I'll have to take advantage of the compartment idea.

On another note, if anyone is looking to outfit their new camper and you have an Ikea store close by, they have a ton of small organizational, lighting and kitchen items at great prices.
Thank you! Do you have any pics of what you’ve found? We would like to have a kitchen box (chuck box) to store all kitchen items in. Right now we use those white plastic drawer things. They pack nicely in the bench area. Then we take them out and set them on the table outside but it’s not the best option. They take up a lot of space and stuff falls out thru the cracks. Definitely interested in seeing what you found at ikea. We just got a store not far from here.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Thank you! Do you have any pics of what you’ve found? We would like to have a kitchen box (chuck box) to store all kitchen items in. Right now we use those white plastic drawer things. They pack nicely in the bench area. Then we take them out and set them on the table outside but it’s not the best option. They take up a lot of space and stuff falls out thru the cracks. Definitely interested in seeing what you found at ikea. We just got a store not far from here.
There was a lot of stuff I passed over on my trip to Ikea because I didn't really have measurements of the Cabinet space.

I bought this Because it folds flat if needed and holds a plastic grocery bag perfectly: VARIERA Trash can - IKEA

Then I saw this little bin and bought it as well so we'll see what fits better: FILUR Bin with lid - IKEA

I picked up this USB light since I have a few ports next to my control panel and will allow me to see things at night without turning anything else on: JANSJÖ LED USB lamp - IKEA

I bought all my Kitchen Utensils there: Search result - IKEA and they're dirt cheap and well made.

They also have a lot of lighting products many battery operated LED lights that can be stuck in dark places, picked up a few of those puck style lights there for a couple bucks as well.

If you want inexpensive pots and pans that's the place to go! I picked up a nice set of three small nested pots with lids for $10, perfect for two people: Search result - IKEA

If you've never been in one, you'll be blown away by all the stuff they sell. And don't listen to anyone that says that it's all junk, I've got a complete kitchen in my house from them and it's as good quality as the big box stores at half the cost.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #32

Thank you!! I'll have to go check it out and see what I can find.

We are 2 new empty nesters who used to back pack and tent camp. Now we are learning to RV!
Old 02-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #33

Mama,Awesome idea with the hidden toilet!!! Brilliant!!

I have a question, what do you do with the bags when it is time to get rid of them? We want to replace the porta that came with our unit (among other things, I am too old to squat that far) and one of those bag jobs might just be the ticket.

We already have a cabana bought for the shower that will do double duty as an outhouse so all we need to do is find a better potty solution.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpiezzzz View Post
Mama,Awesome idea with the hidden toilet!!! Brilliant!!

I have a question, what do you do with the bags when it is time to get rid of them? We want to replace the porta that came with our unit (among other things, I am too old to squat that far) and one of those bag jobs might just be the ticket.

We already have a cabana bought for the shower that will do double duty as an outhouse so all we need to do is find a better potty solution.
Thanks! He's pretty smart so I think I'll keep him around lol

So these bags are pretty cool. There is a black inner bag that's attached to a heavier outer silver bag. Inside the black bag is a powder that turns into a gel when it's wet. The outer bag has a double zip lock style closure and the inner bag is twice the vertical size as the outside bag. So I pull the black bag up though the hole and place the seat over it. After 3-4 days it's not full but ready to empty so it's perfect for a Fri - Sun trip. When I empty it, I twist the inner bag really well and tie it into a knot, then tuck it down into the outter bag and seal it up. Then I tuck that into a small kitchen trash bag just for good measure. It goes into the trash with everything else. That part of it, I have to admit, I don't really like. However, we do not use disposable paper goods, plastic cups, plastic service ware, etc when we camp so I feel like it's a neutral foot print for us. We used to have 2-3 bags of trash but now we just have one after 3-4 days and it's rarely full. Hope that helps!

Old 02-12-2018, 11:57 PM   #35

That makes me kinda glad my camper has a toilet in it! I used it a couple times on my first trip last month (so far the only trip I've done in it). I got some Thetford chems to use in it. Really helps supress any smell. Sure, you don't want to stick your nose in the open hole of the cassette, and it won't gag a maggot when you dump it... but inside the camper doesn't get any hint of scent from it good or bad. I dig the cassette toilet. I just kinda don't like the thought that someone else was doing their business in it before I got the camper! LOL

And Ikea is crazy awesome. I went in to the local one last weekend, and could have loaded my truck full of stuff if I didn't have any self control!
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #36

All good suggestions! Don't do too much too soon, as you may not want or need all the suggestions. I always have a small note pad for jotting down what I don't have and need or things I can do without. If you camp off grid a lot, a battery or solar powered weather radio is great to have. Make sure you know what county you are in as most bad weather reports are done by county.
jimstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #37

A nice list indeed, the two hints I can contribute is to bring along a solar charger for house battery and a socket made to work with a cordless drill which will speed up lowering/raising corner jacks.
theatv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #38

Pillows I think you can't have too many...lol) and a shelf over the sink. I found a dish-rack at Wallie World and works great, and on the shelf above the sink the dish-rack pan underneath directs the draining water back into the sink. It is also small enough to fit into the sink when we are packing up.
JoArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:39 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstark View Post
All good suggestions! I always have a small note pad for jotting down what I don't have and need or things I can do without. If you camp off grid a lot, a battery or solar powered weather radio is great to have. Make sure you know what county you are in as most bad weather reports are done by county.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatv View Post
A nice list indeed, the two hints I can contribute is to bring along a solar charger for house battery and a socket made to work with a cordless drill which will speed up lowering/raising corner jacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoArt View Post
Pillows I think you can't have too many...lol) and a shelf over the sink. I found a dish-rack at Wallie World and works great, and on the shelf above the sink the dish-rack pan underneath directs the draining water back into the sink. It is also small enough to fit into the sink when we are packing up.
I neglected to add the solar charger since my A-Frame came equipped with one but for those that don't have this it should be added to the list, thanks!

I had a cordless drill on my tool list and the socket to raise and lower the jacks was in my head but not sure why I forgot to put that on the list, thanks for pointing that out.

Ah pillows! I almost went and bought new pillows for my bed then decided not to because I love the ones I have at home and figured I'd bring them when I go camping. But, I'm assuming you also mean to have some around the dinette as well.

I've also been looking at storage ideas such as shelves and baskets and found that the plastic shopping baskets you use at the Grocery store will fit great under the dinette seat and they're cheap to buy. I'll have to look at Wally World for that shelf you mention, I haven't been able to find one that fits in the sink for storage.

I also removed that big honking dinette table and replaced it with 4 finished boards to support the bed. I put a piano hinge on 2 of the boards so that when one is hinged 90 degrees it provides storage space against the front wall of the trailer between the dinette seats. It's a variation of a mod that others have done and I'll post pics once the weather breaks again and I can uncover the camper.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:19 AM   #40

Consider for your essentials:

A first aid kit
Couple tarps
Container of bungee cords, various sizes
Grommet set
Can of Fix a Flat for trailer tires
Barbeque lighter
Press N Seal (multi uses)
Extra coupler clip
Trailer coupler lock
Hitch lock for ball mount
A whisk broom/dust pan
Broom for outside mat
Stakes

Be sure tire gauge measures high pressure for your rig
Carpet cover for your entry step (it covers the holes if you have dogs and last dirt/rock defense before entry)

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, a-frame