Old 05-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #1

Exterior cooling fan for refridgerator

What fan has anyone installed and how was it positioned to cool the fins for the refrigerator. It appears a fan of adequate size would block the AC/DC controls. I have a 2014 A122S. A picture of you fan in the compartment would be great.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Buy a 120mm ball bearing computer fan.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g36/...ml?id=F93GnrDs
TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"

Old 05-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #3

Exterior cooling fan for refridgerator

Thanks TURBS, I see you have a fifth wheel and I have a small A Frame. I was hoping to see the compartment of an A Frame with fan installed. Thank you for the site however to order fans.
Gary
Old 05-08-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Thanks TURBS, I see you have a fifth wheel and I have a small A Frame. I was hoping to see the compartment of an A Frame with fan installed. Thank you for the site however to order fans.
Gary
Can't help you on the A-frame sorry.

Good luck and pics of your project will help others!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #5

Mine has 2 fans installed from the factory they are located at the top of the coil to help draw out the heat and they work good. Mine are cycled on by temperature so they are always cycling on and off. I also put a dual fan on the coil on the inside to keep the temp the same throughout the big fridg. works excellent. 33 deg. cold ones
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #6

cooling fan for refridgerator

Installed a solar powered one in an older MH I had. Worked great.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
What fan has anyone installed and how was it positioned to cool the fins for the refrigerator. It appears a fan of adequate size would block the AC/DC controls. I have a 2014 A122S. A picture of you fan in the compartment would be great.
It's a mod I haven't gotten around to. As is, I get adequate cooling, freezing everything inside after 24 hours if I turn up the gas or AC to max cool. So it's not an urgent mod for me.

If I were going to do the mod, first I would try to put some baffles in to get a natural chimney draft on the external cooling coils. You want the the natural draft to go in the bottom grill across the coils and out the top grill. I probably need to screen the inside of the grills to prevent insects getting in.

A 12 volt, 120mm computer fan (like Turbs suggested) would be the next step. I'm not at all sure the gains would be significant if a decent chimney was in place. If I did put a fan in, I would want to have it easily removable so as not to block air flow when not in use - we do a lot of camping with no hook-ups. I would install the fan near the bottom of the fridge to blow air up the chimney. This would not interfere with the fridge controls - my switches are all in the top half of the compartment. I would also install a switch to turn the fan on or off to preserve battery when not needed.

just my thoughts
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai minivan with Equalizer 600/6000
camping Colorado, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico one weekend at a time
Old 05-10-2015, 12:08 AM   #8

Don't have a picture for you but would suggest when you purchase one look for the highest CFM and lowest DBA you can find. I like this one but there are higher CFM's at a lower price if you look.
Silenx IXP7618 iXtrema Pro Fan - 120mm x 38mm, 18dBA, 90CFM at TigerDirect.com
Old 05-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #9

I did this mod a few years back

when I had an older regular popup, and I used an old computer fan, mounting it right inside of the outside air vent. It really improved the cooling.

My A122 of year 2012 works very well when running the frig on shore power electric, so I don't see a need for the mod again.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrock View Post
when I had an older regular popup, and I used an old computer fan, mounting it right inside of the outside air vent. It really improved the cooling.

My A122 of year 2012 works very well when running the frig on shore power electric, so I don't see a need for the mod again.
I was just about to write the same thing.

McPhee, you should consider installing a baffle in addition to or even instead of a fan. RV fridges use convection to keep the air moving over the coils and the fridge compartments on full height campers are designed to make use of this. Our folding campers cannot provide the proper air path. Using a baffle that forces the airflow from the bottom of the compartment over the fins at top greatly increases the cooling capacity of the fridge.

I used a small amount of Reflectix cut into a shape that fit into the compartment right up to the fins and flue. It is an easy mod. The material is made as radiant barrier insulation for attics, so it is durable in the heat and has Class A/Class 1 fire rating.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior, fan, fridge