Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #1

Family of 4 fit in t21qbhw?

Anyone have a family in one of these? We are a family of 4 and a dog and like the easy of setup. The t21qbhw has 2 beds. 60 x 80 and 50 x 80. Do you think this would work or has anyone tried this. Thanks in advance.
samjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:38 PM   #2

A lot depends on what I call your camping style. The A-frames have a lot less interior space than the same box size in a conventional pop-up.

The model you suggest has what is essentially a queen size bed and a dinette that converts to a full size bed. Assuming the kids can share a full size bed, and the family will fit in the dinette for a game of cards during a rain storm, yes it is sufficient if you spend most of your time outsided the A-frame.

Aisle/standing space is the real limitation. Only 2 (and preferably one) can be standing or cooking inside or dressing or anything else in the aisle at a time. Our small dog tends to stay under the dinette table (and sleeps there, too).

The other limitation with 4 is the repeated conversion of the dinette from bed to lounging area and back. The only inside seating areas are at the dinette and one sitting on the main bed.

Since our camping is generally limited to long weekends, and we use the camper only as a comfortable sleeping facility, we are very happy with the quick setup of the A-frame and the ability to store it in the garage.

We spend almost all our awake time outside the camper. The picnic table is used for cooking, eating, and cleaning. We carry comfortable folding chairs for lounging at the campsite. We have a nice EZ-up to provide shade at the picnic table.

There are only 2 of us, although we occasionally use the A-frame (Rockwood) A122 to visit our kids for a weekend at their colleges (Baylor and Nebraska). During those visits, the kid will sometimes sleep in the camper with us for a night.

If you expect to spend much time inside the camper or camp for extended stays (like a week) you will probably want the extra interior space of a pop-up or travel trailer. We chose the A-frame over a pop-up because the rapid setup and teardown makes weekend (and one night) camping that much more enjoyable. It literally takes less than an hour for complete campsite setup, with the EZ-up being the most difficult part.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan) with Equalizer 600/6000 WDH and anti-sway
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #3

Forgot to mention - it doesn't look like there is much floor space in that model to use the porta-potty inside. We don't take ours with us; we use the campground facilities. Your needs/desires may differ.

Fred W
Old 06-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #4

nope .. its really only a 2 person camper

d-mo
Old 06-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #5

The specs say it "sleeps" 4 IMO that's about all you will do.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:17 PM   #6

If you can live together camping in one tent, you could do it in one camper.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:04 PM   #7

We usually are only in tent or a pop up if we are sleeping or it rains. I thought it would be easier since I do all setup and take down. Also looks to have enough interior/exterior storage that we could just grab pillows, food and clothes and be off.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:58 PM   #8

If you're only using it as a glorified tent a couple of times a year, then 4 is probably fine for an overnighter. Personally though, I would lean more toward a pop-up with the extended beds if I were trying to keep it small. Even with just two it would be a bear to really do any cooking or clean up. If the weather went bad on you I can't imagine 4 people being cooped up in there for any length of time.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:54 AM   #9

We are currently a family of three, with a fourth when an older child comes 'home'. As others have stated, moving space inside the trailer is minimal. The two kids 17 and 20 sleep head to toe on the dinette and hubby and I share the queen. We can fit five around the dinette table (with stool on end) for card games if chased inside due to weather. But, we camp to enjoy the outdoors so we rarely change the dinette from bed to table. Hubby is 6'5" which is why we own a Rockwood....and an A-frame. He can sleep and stand comfortably inside. All depends on how 'close' your family is. A122BH works fabulously for our family.
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Carla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #10

There is this old "rule" that says to buy your second camper first. So with your concern about space, project that concern to the growth of the kids and what you and they will be wanting to get out of camping in a few years. And of course the budget.

A 12 foot box popup will provide a more spacious environment where some can sit at the table while other lounge in bed. Teens really like some space to call their own. The set up and striking of camp is more complicated, but with a family pitching in, it goes pretty fast.

OTOH, if everyone already crams into a tent and has a good time, or you think the kids will grow out of camping and move on to hanging with friends, an A Frame could be right. Also, teens will sometimes prefer a tent of their own to being with the parents in the camper.

Hope this perspective helps.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #11

If just sleeping and looking for short term protection from inclement weather, it can work, especially if doing all cooking, social activity, etc outside. This can be facilitated by the addition of an attached or detached cover, such as a folding gazebo.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #12

I'd agree that 4 is too many in an a-frame. Two of us and a three-year-old is probably about the limit.

It's not the beds, it's the lack of storage and interior space compared to a pop-up with the same box size.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #13

Storage is sufficient (and we have the smallest model - straight A122).....if you are ruthless about not taking extra "stuff". Again, our max stay is 3 nights (long weekend).

We each have a duffel for clothes that is moved to camper upon setup - cold and wet weather jackets stay in camper permanently. That way we each pack a duffel for the weekend on less than an hour's notice.

We use foam toppers on top of the stock mattress, and a fitted sheet and a blanket. All bedding (including pillows) stays in the camper, on the bed. Sides and roof fold down fine with this stuff on the beds (unlike a PUP).

Food and drink go into 2 medium coolers in the minivan - most cooler contents are transferred to camper fridge upon arrival at site, but don't have to be.

Cooking is griddle, frying pan, 2 pots, foil, and utensils. We have a set of 4 hard plates, bowls, cups, and silver - but usually use paper products and plastic cutlery. Cleaning is 2 dish tubs and soap, sponge, pad. All are stored under dinette seat. Paper and plastic products, foil, cleaning supplies are renewed as needed after a trip. 2 burner Coleman-like stove and propane bottles fit in left rear, along with small tool kit and electrical and plumbing fittings. We may add a table top grill in the future.

The A-frame, unlike the PUP I had previously, is truly one person setup. We store ours in the garage (the reason we bought the smallest model). Clothes duffels, food, folding camp chairs, and EZ-up go into van night before or morning of trip.

Arrive at site, note number of orange Legos needed to level side-to-side from calibrated level on front of camper, place Legos, back on to Legos and chock. Turn fridge DC off. Disconnect minivan. Level fore and aft. Set up A-frame. Turn on propane, hook up electric (when available), restart fridge, hook up water or turn on pump, turn on hot water heater, connect gray water hose and bucket, turn on heater or A/C as needed, open windows/vent. Less than 30 minutes by myself.

If you need/want more camping stuff, the A-frame is probably too small. We bought the A-frame for quick setup for frequent one night trips and ability to store in garage, pretty much ready-to-go. Easy to use makes for frequent use, justifying the money spent. I learned from owning and using boats that despite their many limitations, small boats get used a lot more than big boats.

my thoughts and experiences, your choices
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Old 06-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #14

I have been a tent camper for more than 50 years and we only used the tents for sleeping. Keep that idea in mind. Your situation will work if you set up the screened awning and use that to eat in. You can grill outside, cook inside and in the evening you can all sit around the table in the evening, either inside or in the screened. I like it because we have air conditioning and heat and my wife and I plan on spending most of the winter with it in Florida.
You just need to have a plan for dressing, using the porta potti and coonverting from sleeping to eating. You can also remove the convertible table, keep it outside in the screen in awning area and replace them with boards for setting up for sleeping.
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #15

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to try it out as we spend all our time outside unless it's raining. The t21 seems like we should fit as it's the biggest model and we have a standalone screen room.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:33 AM   #16

Great. Happy Camping.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 09-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #17

We have A122S and it fits our family of 4 perfectly. The front bed is 45x80 so if our kids are much taller later, we will move to the front and the kids can have the back bed which is 54x 80. I agree with Pooneil as cramped into a tent looking hardwall is quite enjoyable as cramping into a tent. We use it for sleeping and spend most of our time outside...hence looking for ideas for homemade awning. Our kids have been taught to be minimalist as so they can make games out of rocks, paper and pencils...this Aframe is luxury camping to us already after tent camping over 12 yrs follow by tent trailer for 11.

The small size allows for quick and easy pull into a camp site and easy pop up is fantastic and fabulously and wonderfully appreciated over airing out tent after wet camping trip.

Oh yes, we store in our garage.

Regards,

Newbies to Aframe 2015
Family of four to teen and almost teen
Newbies to Aframe 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #18

We purchased the t21qbhw and fit 2 adults, w kids 8 and 11 and a golden doodle. The storage vs our previous pop up is much more. We camp outside and use inside for sleeping and when it rains. I also have cots with no middle rail that I will place over dinette when kids get bigger if needed. Love the 30 Second setup. I think if you outside camp great, if you spend a lot of time indoors maybe not.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #19

Samjs: can you please explain your configuration with the cot as our kids are 13 and 10. Eventually the front bed (45x80) will be too small and hubby and I may need to trade with the kids. If the cot works, it would be better. I am trying to use handbuilder's planks model ( use of 4 planks instead of the dinette as support for the bed) and perhaps modify it furher to expand the width of the front bed.
Newbies to Aframe 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #20

I use discobed cots. You can buy an extra middle piece and shave off an inch or w as they are large.