Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #1

Fan-tastic Ultrabreeze Vent Cover?

Does anyone have a Fan-tastic Ultrabreeze Vent Cover and do you like it? Was it east to install? Is there a better alternative?
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #2

Yes maxair, for all of the above. Youroo
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
Site Team

Our "W" is at the dealer right now having a Fan-Tastic Fan 7350 upgrade kit installed in the front living area replacing the cheap 1200 Series FR installed as an expensive option. And a complete 7350 is being installed in the rear over the bed. Both will have black Ultra-Breeze Covers with the new snap in bug screens installed as well.

I went with Fan-Tastic over MaxxAir mainly due to the ease of upgrading the front fan and my previous experience with Fan-Tastic. On You-Tube there are several videos on Fan-Tastic including a "How-To" on the install.

This one shows the airflow comparison:

This one the installation:

I like MaxxAir as well and will probably use one of their units when I replace the shower fan. With two 7350's, with one set to intake and the other exhaust, I should be able to create a small wind tunnel in our motor home. That might help when I'm cooking!

If you are considering a fan upgrade as well as a cover read this thread before you start. The fans in a A-Frame are a real pain to change out.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The new max air!
20 minute install.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1443105742773.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	89725Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1443105767261.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	89726Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1443105889686.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	89728Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1443105910056.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	89729

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #5

I have (and have installed by myself) both. I like the Fantastic Fan cover because the overhang is longer so its likely more resistant to rain driving from the backside. However, they are more expensive than the Maxx Air II and not as easy to install, although the time is about the same.

With the Maxx Air, you drill through the vertical part of the metal flange and bolt the bracket on. With the Fantastic Fan cover you have to use a utility knife to remove and notch out the Dicor that is likely gooped over four corner screws attaching the flange to the roof, then you put the bracket under the screw and reseal with some Dicor that you also had to buy.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #6

I have installed both; the Maxxair over the manual vent and a fantastic cover over the fantastic vent fan.

However, not all fantastic vents fans are installed with screws, they are clamp style. (Probably used on popup more than other applications.) With the clamp style, you need to drill four holes into the roof. And the instructions are not included with the unit.

To get instructions, email fantastic vent and they will email you a PDF file in just a few minutes. Those additional instructions give exact measurements for where the holes are needed to be drilled.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
I have installed both; the Maxxair over the manual vent and a fantastic cover over the fantastic vent fan.

However, not all fantastic vents fans are installed with screws, they are clamp style. (Probably used on popup more than other applications.) With the clamp style, you need to drill four holes into the roof. And the instructions are not included with the unit.

To get instructions, email fantastic vent and they will email you a PDF file in just a few minutes. Those additional instructions give exact measurements for where the holes are needed to be drilled.

Btw my pictures show the "newest" version of the maxx air.
Doesn't even appear to be on there web page yet.
I'll keep looking.

Here it is.
http://www.maxxair.com/products/fan_mate.php

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #8

I liked the Fantastic fans in my Shamrock, so I ordered another Fantastic fan and vent cover and installed it in my van, so I don't have to use AC as much while towing. Installation was pretty straight forward. Came with everything including a seal gasket.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
There must be two type then or perhaps if you were installing the Fantastic Fan cover over a non-Fantastic Fan vent.

If installing on an actual Fantastic Fan vent, the brackets line up with the screws at the front and back corners of the sides of the flange and no drilling is required. I know this for positive sure because even though I ordered the second fan in my 5er, there was only a cover on the one in the bathroom and I had to install the second one myself.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er

I put the MaxxAir covers on the two bathroom vents in our unit, but I went with the Fantastic vent cover for the Fantastic fan in the living area. It offers the added air flow needed for the fan to work properly by allowing it to open correctly. All are black and all you see is a different shape, so they look really nice. Also, I bought them at Camping World and had them install them. I had installed them on our last RV but getting on the roof is not my forte currently. Besides, Camping World installed them for a whopping $16 each - let them climb up there for the $48 it cost me!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #11
Retired

I have two Fantastic Fans and installed a Ultrabreeze vent cover on both of them.

They allow the vents to fully open but still butt up to the cover so I wouldn't use them if I had rain sensors. Both of my fans open/close manually.

They are very easy to install but you'll need some dicor.

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDually View Post

They are very easy to install but you'll need some dicor.

[omitting YouTube link 'cause you don't need to see the preview again]
That was exactly my installation experience.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
There must be two type then or perhaps if you were installing the Fantastic Fan cover over a non-Fantastic Fan vent.

If installing on an actual Fantastic Fan vent, the brackets line up with the screws at the front and back corners of the sides of the flange and no drilling is required. I know this for positive sure because even though I ordered the second fan in my 5er, there was only a cover on the one in the bathroom and I had to install the second one myself.
I just installed a Fantastic Hood over a Fantastic vent that I had installed last winter. I could have used just the existing screws when installing the brackets, but I found that to get the best fit between hood and vent lid allowing the most opening of the vent, I had to set the rear bracket off a screw, but a thin pilot hole and a screw in between vent screws was a tiny bit of work. BTW the vent will hit the hood, but the motor senses the resistance and cuts off. By my eye ball guesstimate, the Fantastic hood allows the widest opening of the vent lid between several covers on the market. And of course the one I like IS the most expensive
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
Does anyone have a Fan-tastic Ultrabreeze Vent Cover and do you like it? Was it east to install? Is there a better alternative?
Don't give undue attention to these posts from big camper owners because many things that work for them don't work for us. You can't use those types of covers on the stock A Frame fan. Nor is a cover really necessary.

Due to the slope of an AFrame the roof, when the fan top is open to where it is level to the ground, it allows plenty of air movement and a reasonable cover for the vent opening. It won't of course keep out a wind driven rain while open that far. But with the cover mostly down, air will still move while it takes a pretty strong wind to drive much rain under the cover.

In the campers with level roofs, opening the fan at all exposes the camper interior to the slightest of rain.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #15

Mea Culpa! I didn't register the fact that we were talking about an A-frame.

Since the vent is on the front half of the roof and the opening of a vent cover always has to face the rear, when the roof is up the opening would be on the high side and its ability to block rain could be reduced - its louvers would be almost horizontal. Its possible that the cover could still be useful to keep the vent open while in storage. Although this would be a personal thing, I think it would look strange on the roof when folded down - seems like they have a pretty smooth stock profile and a vent cover would be quite a wart.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #16

Lots of misinformation....please check the forum string before you post
Old 09-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
Lots of misinformation....please check the forum string before you post
x2
mzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
Mea Culpa!
The problem is that new owners don't understand what answers address their question and what is discussion for the more common types of campers that doesn't apply to them. Most long time members know to check the sig line to see what type of camper the poster owns. So its not really a big deal. But we do need to note the irrelevant discussion to help new members and lurkers understand what is addressed to A Frame owners.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
I'm sure this will be edited or deleted, but...

I answered the question, at face value, as originally stated... "I have one (two actually), like them and the one I installed was easy to install".

It sounded like the OP had already decided that he wanted to install one on his RV. It did not sound like the question was 'research my RV and tell me if this is what I should do'. If that had been asked, the answer would probably have been 'would work physically but does not make sense logically'.

There were 8 other people who read it this way too.

Tags
cover, fan, vent