Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #1

Fan-Tastic vent cover

Anybody have one on your A-Frame, is it worth it,does it help?
Judielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #2

Nope. Would not recommend. It would face forward as a scoop to the incoming wind stream while driving. It would probably get ripped off by the wind quite quickly.

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #3

It could work if you made it easy to remove. Maybe use Velcro. You would remove it for travel and install it before putting roof up. Always nice to get more ventilation when raining, but I think just opening the fan vent a little might accomplish the same thing.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #4

A Frames have an advantage over flat roof campers when it comes to the fan. On a flat roof, opening the fan more than a few inches exposes an area to the sky so water can fall straight in. On our sloped roof campers, the hood actual covers more area than the actual opening, providing some protection. With the hood open just enough to get the fan running, it will keep all direct rainfall out. I have had some splashing in during heavy rain, but not much.

I'd check it out in service during a rainstorm before spending the energy on the removable cover mod. But that's just me and where I camp, YMMV.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #5

^ What he said ^
Good post

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #6

Works For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
It could work if you made it easy to remove. Maybe use Velcro. You would remove it for travel and install it before putting roof up. Always nice to get more ventilation when raining, but I think just opening the fan vent a little might accomplish the same thing.
I installed one on my A-Frame. I only used 2 of the L brackets, on the outward side and used two SS thumbscrews for easy installation and removal. It only takes a moment or two and you're finished. The advantage is some ventilation while the camper is closed and extra protection while up in a bad rain storm when away from the camper.

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Frame Don View Post
I installed one on my A-Frame. I only used 2 of the L brackets, on the outward side and used two SS thumbscrews for easy installation and removal. It only takes a moment or two and you're finished. The advantage is some ventilation while the camper is closed and extra protection while up in a bad rain storm when away from the camper.
Interesting. Got some pictures?

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 03-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #8

Would rotating the install 90 deg allow a vent cover installation that would not fly off while under tow?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #9

[QUOTE=Pooneil;1143141]Interesting. Got some pictures?[/QUOTE)

I knew someone would ask for pics. lol
I won't have them for sometime, as the camper was returned to the factory last fall where they installed a new roof and other repairs from serious water damage. My dealer now has it ready for pickup, 3.5 hours from home. I won't be picking it up until all of the winter road salt is gone. The last few days a bad ice storm was in the area, therefore, more salt. Not knowing what repairs would be done, I removed everything from/off the camper before returning it to the dealer. When I reinstall it, I'll take the photos showing more detail.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Would rotating the install 90 deg allow a vent cover installation that would not fly off while under tow?
I think you need to rotate it 180 deg for road travel. To me, this would be a nuisance as I wouldn't be able to open the vent when closed for ventilation. If you need to take it off to turn it around, why not just put it inside for safe travel. I'm just using two thumbscrews on the outside/roadside while closed or parked, for convenience. For highway travel, you would need to mount it more securely and you can't reach the inside/curbside of the camper without a ladder or climbing on the roof.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #11

Quote:
I think you need to rotate it 180 deg for road travel. To me, this would be a nuisance as I wouldn't be able to open the vent when closed for ventilation. If you need to take it off to turn it around, why not just put it inside for safe travel. I'm just using two thumbscrews on the outside/roadside while closed or parked, for convenience. For highway travel, you would need to mount it more securely and you can't reach the inside/curbside of the camper without a ladder or climbing on the roof.
I was talking about rotating the "fan assembly" 90 deg which would allow the cover to be permanently installed sideways and not have the blunt front end of it in the airstream. I think it may be aerodynamic enough in this configuration. I am talking of course about a MAX/AIR cover. Oh well, maybe not a good idea to explore.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:29 AM   #12

Oops, sorry about that. I missed what you were getting at.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #13

Given the shape of the cover, it would still present a pretty big wind dam up there. But that is not to say it wouldn't work. Anyway it is an interesting solution. Let us know if you try it.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 03-27-2016, 07:44 PM   #14

Quote:
I knew someone would ask for pics. lol
Yes, whenever you get the chance. It will help others who have the same question. I'm interested in seeing the solution too.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 04-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #15

If the fantastic vent cover mounts the same on an A-frame as it does on a popup, you can remove the cover in about 10 seconds. Just pull the four clips out of the pins and lift it off. When I wash mine I pull off the cover to wash under it.
To install, reverse....

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:26 PM   #16

I installed a fantastic vent cover with Velcro (Velcro on the vent cover and Velcro on top of the roof where it meets with the lip of the vent cover). I take the cover off during movement and mount it again prior to raising the roof and walls.

Other comments correct - 1) Could never permanently mount and travel with the cover in the correct position (open end of the cover on the forward side or facing the tow vehicle) as it would get caught by the wind and get ripped off. 2) I had concerns about using the fan with rain/wind possibly allowing water to enter. The cover ensures that no rain enters from the roof while using the fan no matter how hard it rains or how hard the wind is blowing the rain around.

I store the cover in my forward storage compartment on my A128S. Works out very well for us so we can always have air movement in the camper even during rain storms.

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #17

Sorry, meant to add a pic yesterday with my response. This cover works very well for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper with cover.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	603.1 KB
ID:	108988  

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Interesting. Got some pictures?
Finally did the re-install of the roof vent cover. I used SS fittings and only did it on the outside as you can't reach the other side without a ladder. I only had to use two screws to fasten the brackets to the fan housing. Before breaking camp, I only need to remove two nuts and off it comes. This is adequate for camping or parked and I just leave it on the bed while travelling. It's a Camco cover and is suitable for my use. You can't raise the vent to its highest point but high enough to have great air movement. I find the fan very good for exhausting warm air with a window opened a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	109408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0305.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	109409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0307.jpg
Views:	127