Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Site Team

Exclamation Fan-Tastic Vent Model 7350 Upgrade Issue

My dealer ordered a Fan-Tastic Vent Model 7350 "upgrade kit" to be installed in my T21QBHW prior to its delivery this Wednesday. The "upgrade kit" is supposed to allow you to upgrade an existing OEM fan to a Model 7350. Well it doesn't fit.... The "upgrade kit", and a new complete replacement 7350 fan they tried, both have extended manual closing knobs that could impact the side panel when the roof is collapsed. They also tried a Model 3350 with the same results. It appears the OEM fan unit has a different design to allow it to clear the wall panel when in transport mode. I'll look closer when I pick up my T21QBHW on Wednesday.

Anyone considering upgrading their Fan-Tastic Vent needs to pay very close attention to the transport mode clearance in their trailer to avoid an expensive "gotcha". I'm just glad my dealer discovered "gotcha" this before I found it after a run down a bumpy road!
Old 12-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #2

Thanks for the heads up. As I am always looking for a reason to make a mod, what is the motivation for wanting a different fan?

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
As I am always looking for a reason to make a mod, what is the motivation for wanting a different fan?
The new Three R's: Rain Sensor with auto close, Reversible Fan, and Remote control. It is a looong reach to the fan controls on the T21 since the roof is taller.

After I take delivery in the morning I'm going to start looking at the feasibility of adding an external "riser box" to make the 7350 fit.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #4

Thanks.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 12-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Yesterday during my PDI it became very obvious why none of the FanTastic upgrades will fit my T21. While raising, or lowering, the roof the rear roof section passes very closely over the fans location in the front roof section. The OEM fan compensates for this by having all the controls recessed in the lower fan case so that nothing protrudes below the lower fan casing. The FanTastic upgraded units have knobs that protrude below the lower case at least two inches. The rear roof section will not clear the knobs and it would make an expensive mess of the roof panels and the fan if one was installed.

It will definitely take a exterior riser that effectively recesses the non-OEM fans controls to be able to upgrade the fan on a T21. I really don't want a chimney look so I suspect this upgrade is dead at least for now...
Old 12-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #6

Good luck on working this one out.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Site Team

Talking Qapla'!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Good luck on working this one out.
I think I already have... The MaxxAir / Maxxfan Model 7500 does not protrude below the roof line. All the controls are fully recessed in the unit including the manual closing knob.

I emailed the link over to my dealer and the service shop folks think it will work as well. So I'll be hauling the trailer back over to them as soon as one arrives from their distributor.

The Maxxfan has the additional advantage in that it can still be used in the rain, not that it ever rains here in Georgia , unlike the FanTastic Fan. I'll post an update after the service guys try installing the Maxxfan.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #8

I thought that the problem with the MaxxFan was how it would be oriented on the roof. You would not want the fan opening pointed towards the front or sides when towing due to potential wind damage, and if you orient it towards the rear, it can allow rain to come in when the roof is upright.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #9

The model in the link closes down similarly to the stock fan and does not leave that big MAXXair wind scoop that we are more familiar with. While the web description says it can be operated while driving, that would not work with an Aframe installation. The locking feature is more important for us!

I guess the question, is does the remote lock and unlock the fan cover?

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 12-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #10
Site Team

The units mounted orientation for my installation will be "backwards" with the rear of the fan facing forward. And yes, installing it the "correct" way would make a wonderful funnel for any rain! Since it folds down nearly flat, and does not have the traditional MaxxAir big box scoop, I think it will do fine when in the "closed" mode while towing.

I don't believe there is a "lock" feature of the unit per se. Powering off the unit, or using the Open / Close button, brings the lid down in to the Closed mode. That should suffice as there should not be a lot of wind on the trailers top with it behind my Expedition.

I just received an email from my dealer that the fan should be in late this week.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #11

This looks great, especially being able to use it during rain.I printed a picture of it and held it against the roof line of my aframe and it looks like the opening would still be in a somewhat downward angle when mounted facing the rear. Along with the louvers on the opening a light rain may be ok. Not sure what the roof thickness is though, 1 1/8” is required minimum.
2014 Tacoma 4x4
OutAndAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAndAbout View Post
Not sure what the roof thickness is though, 1 1/8” is required minimum.
I wasn't sure on that either and pointed it out to my dealer in my first email. Since that didn't generate a "it won't work response" from them I'm assuming the roof thickness is okay. My roofs reinforcing edging is 1.5" thick so it will be close. Per MaxxAir if necessary it is acceptable to "build up" the roof for the installation.

I'm looking forward to finding out if it will work....
Old 12-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
Site Team

Update: The MaxxAir won't work... After going through the install process with the techs at my dealership it became apparent the chances are too high that when towing in a heavy rain water will make it over the fan lip in to the trailer. The MaxxAir design is made for a sloped roof application with a good run off...unlike our flat roofs!

Oh well, back to the drawing board. I'm checking out another promising lead and will update this thread when I have some additional info....
Old 12-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #14

How about this option: install a Fantastic Fan with the features you want and then add a removable vent cover when the roof is closed. The cover could be installed like a traditional vent cover on a flat roof TT. This would prevent any rain from entering while on the road, and then it could be removed before lifting the roof. Might just require a couple of quick release pins.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #15
Site Team

Okay, I've begun Round Three is this upgrade debacle! I did what no self respecting guy would admit to doing and called Fan-Tastic Tech Support. I was transferred to Jerry, who is the A-Frame expert, and he knew all about the clearance issues from dealing with A-liners and Chalets. He explained which kit I needed, the 7350 Fan PN 807357 "clamp design" and the other parts required.

Today I went by my dealer and had them call Jerry, who confirmed what was needed, and it was all ordered. When it comes in I'll take my trailer over to Peco and hopefully come out with a Model 7350 upgrade. I'll post an update here, with pictures, after the installation. They say the third time is the charm...I hope sure so!
Old 02-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #16
Site Team

After three tries it has become apparent there is not a good way to upgrade the OEM ceiling fan. My dealer, Peco Campers, called Jerry at Fan-Tastic and ordered what he recommended. When it arrived I took my trailer in and thought I was on my way to a upgraded fan. Nope, the spacers and risers that Fan-Tastic recommended would be a leak waiting to happen the first time any water hit the roof. The spacers sent required stacking and they are just thin plastic that would not even line up together due to the plastic warping.

Fortunately the Service Manager at Peco realized this was not a good plan so he called and advised me not to proceed. After looking at the spacers I'm glad that he stopped the work and called or I would have had a real mess. So for now I'm going to stop trying to replace the ceiling fan. Maybe after a couple more years of production there will be enough FR A-Frames sold to justify a vendor tooling up a kit that will reliably work.

I advise anyone considering upgrading their ceiling fan to be very careful...and let us all know if it works!

Tags
fan, upgrade, vent, modifications