Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2016, 09:43 PM   #1

Fantastic Fan Lid Flaps Like Crazy Going Down the Highway

Does anyone else ever look in the rear view mirror and see the lid to the Fantastic Fan going berserk from all the road wind?

I've noticed on mine that even though the lid is latched from the inside (mainly in just one corner), the other corner that's not latched tends to catch wind and air draft while going down the highway.

I swear one day it's just going to rip off.

My only idea so far is to strap a bungee from one end of the roof to the other, crossing over the lid to help keep it strapped down. But I'm not real big on that idea.

Anyone else have this quandary and/or know of a way that might work to keep it from flipping up, catching the wind, and blowing off on the highway?

2016 Rockwood A122s
Toyota Sequoia and 4Runner
SoonerWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:48 PM   #2

I haven't noticed the problem when locked down.

The only thing I can suggest is assuring it is cranked down tight before you lock it when closing.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
I haven't noticed the problem when locked down.

The only thing I can suggest is assuring it is cranked down tight before you lock it when closing.
Yeah, I've almost broke the knob trying to make sure it's super tight and have even looked in the housing with a flashlight to make sure the hook is latched onto the screw as best as possible.

I'm thinking it's designed to have a little bit of "play" but sometimes the wind catches it and it's a wonder it's never been ripped off.

2016 Rockwood A122s
Old 12-13-2016, 10:10 PM   #4

Put one of these on your vent. Fan-tastic Ultrabreeze Vent Cover - White - Dometic U1500WHS - Vents - Camping World

Or a Maxxair which is very easy to install (about 1/2 hour). I have a Maxxair II Easier to install than the Fantastic cover.
Maxxiar - The Maxxair 2 RV Vent Cover with Easy Open Hinge | Airxcel

Then you can leave the vent open even in the rain.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerWilson View Post
Does anyone else ever look in the rear view mirror and see the lid to the Fantastic Fan going berserk from all the road wind?

I've noticed on mine that even though the lid is latched from the inside (mainly in just one corner), the other corner that's not latched tends to catch wind and air draft while going down the highway.

I swear one day it's just going to rip off.

My only idea so far is to strap a bungee from one end of the roof to the other, crossing over the lid to help keep it strapped down. But I'm not real big on that idea.

Anyone else have this quandary and/or know of a way that might work to keep it from flipping up, catching the wind, and blowing off on the highway?
Which direction does the opening face when you raise the lid?
Old 12-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Put one of these on your vent.

These do not work on A Frame campers, like the one the OP owns, and cannot be installed according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Use while driving could cause damage to the camper while driving. Please don't recommend these to new AFrame owners to protect the vent while driving. They can only be used on A Frames if modded to make them removable.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 12-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Which direction does the opening face when you raise the lid?
Forward, into the wind.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 12-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Put one of these on your vent. Fan-tastic Ultrabreeze Vent Cover - White - Dometic U1500WHS - Vents - Camping World

Or a Maxxair which is very easy to install (about 1/2 hour). I have a Maxxair II Easier to install than the Fantastic cover.
Maxxiar - The Maxxair 2 RV Vent Cover with Easy Open Hinge | Airxcel

I never noticed mine but I leave it closed. I also installed the vent cover and being a newb it was not very hard. I wanted to be able to leave it open going down the road and in the rain.
I looked at the install steps for both and it does looks like the Maxx Air is easier but on Camping World website they show a video with airflow and looked like the Fantastic Fan cover did not restrict the airflow much. It was a video by Fantastic Fan. Only big difference is you need lap sealant for the FF one.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:47 AM   #9

Mabee dumb question here, being not familiar with A frames, can the fantastic daughter be reinstalled 180 degrees facing other direction?
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Forward, into the wind.
Yeah, the hinge side faces the back bumper while the open side faces forward.

2016 Rockwood A122s
Old 12-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Mabee dumb question here, being not familiar with A frames, can the fantastic daughter be reinstalled 180 degrees facing other direction?
Not a dumb question as I briefly wondered the same thing. Although I'm not gifted towards aerodynamics and mechanical engineering, my take is that because it's an A-frame roof, if the lid were rotated 180, the vented air would have a harder time escaping since it would be directed upwards towards the apex of the roof and not downwards towards the bottom of the roof.

I could be wrong on that, but that's my take as of this point.

2016 Rockwood A122s
Old 12-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerWilson View Post
Not a dumb question as I briefly wondered the same thing. Although I'm not gifted towards aerodynamics and mechanical engineering, my take is that because it's an A-frame roof, if the lid were rotated 180, the vented air would have a harder time escaping since it would be directed upwards towards the apex of the roof and not downwards towards the bottom of the roof.

I could be wrong on that, but that's my take as of this point.

Just thought mabee kill 2 birds with one stone. As it would solve OP's problem and Hot Air rises so might help with removing stuffy air also. ???
Old 12-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #13
194'er

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1481722107.360376.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	126610Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1481722129.691980.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	126611
It can be done, and works like a charm. It goes one way when towing, and the other when camped. Pull pins rotate. However, your not going to be able to leave your vent open going down the road, it won't open when the cover is in position to be towed, and if you did turn it ,like when you have it popped up , yea you could open the vent however you basically installed an air ram for the camper! I'm positive it would rip off and kill the guy behind you

2015 rockwood 194A HW.
Jaydubya81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-G View Post
I never noticed mine but I leave it closed. I also installed the vent cover and being a newb it was not very hard. I wanted to be able to leave it open going down the road and in the rain.
I looked at the install steps for both and it does looks like the Maxx Air is easier but on Camping World website they show a video with airflow and looked like the Fantastic Fan cover did not restrict the airflow much. It was a video by Fantastic Fan. Only big difference is you need lap sealant for the FF one.

I will reiterate:

These do not work as designed on A Frame campers, like the one the OP owns, and cannot be installed according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Please don't recommend these to new AFrame owners without noting the need to significantly mod them.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 12-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #15

Quote:
I will reiterate:

These do not work as designed on A Frame campers, like the one the OP owns, and cannot be installed according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Please don't recommend these to new AFrame owners without noting the need to significantly mod them.
Conflicting info here. How do you explain the post immediately prior to yours which shows it can easily be done. I don't see any significant mod with just pulling four pins and reversing the cover for travel. Obviously, the cover has to be facing forward for use but it's just a one minute job to do that.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #16

Question

Quote:
Conflicting info here. How do you explain the post immediately prior to yours which shows it can easily be done. I don't see any significant mod with just pulling four pins and reversing the cover for travel. Obviously, the cover has to be facing forward for use but it's just a one minute job to do that.

I am also wondering??
Old 12-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'll agree on the surface, it seems like conflicting information but Pooneil is correct in that the cover should not be installed UNLESS it is one of the newer styles that have the hairpin clips which hold the cover in place.

If it has the pins, one can easily turn the cover for travel and then turn it back when camping.

The older bolt on style would be a PITA to have to remove mounting bolts each time one were to move the unit and leaving it mounted in the wrong direction would prove disastrous going down the highway.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'll agree on the surface, it seems like conflicting information but Pooneil is correct in that the cover should not be installed UNLESS it is one of the newer styles that have the hairpin clips which hold the cover in place.

If it has the pins, one can easily turn the cover for travel and then turn it back when camping.

The older bolt on style would be a PITA to have to remove mounting bolts each time one were to move the unit and leaving it mounted in the wrong direction would prove disastrous going down the highway.
That makes sense. I've only used the quick release type and didn't know some could be bolted on.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #19

Quote:
It is not that it can't be done, but it requires a special modified installation that is not according to the manufacturer's instructions. The "easily done" part is accomplished with a non-standard, non-apparent instalation.

Just saying "I use this" does not help new Aframe owners, like the OP, and can easily lead to a incorrect installation that could damage the camper because the fan placement is reversed on his camper.

What I am asking is for people to consider the individual features of the OP's camper before answering a newby question.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 12-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #20
194'er

I can't speak for any other vent cover, the only one I know for sure about is the fantastic vent cover. It does not need any kind of special modifications. I installed it just like the pictures and manual that was sent with it. I didn't replace or modify anything , it comes with the pins that allow you to rotate or remove by pulling four cotter pins . The only thing I did different than what the instructions stated, was instead of screwing the mounting brackets thru my roof, I simply marked there location and used marine adhesive/sealant to secure them to the flange on the bottom of the original vent housing, not the roof. I didn't want any caulk on my actual roof. If I can remember when I get home I will take a pic of the brackets with the cover removed so all can see the way it's installed. Very easy, very secure.

2015 rockwood 194A HW.
Jaydubya81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan