Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #21

There is a small screen filter on the water pump that I removed to drain. All so remove water filter to drain.
Banjo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #22

Search you tube, hundred of videos showing you everything involved in winterizing.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #23

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...avel%20trailer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #24

When I first bought my MH, I took it to a nearby business that services RVs and asked him to winterize it for me. He refused and told me that I needed to learn how to do it myself. So, I went down the street to the next guy and he did it for me in 15 minutes and $30. This is my 3rd winter and I finally decided that I would do it myself after watching these other guys do it for me. I'm a female and am learning to get handier than I had ever anticipated when I naively bought my first MH. I bought and did fixer upper homes for many years, but had never touched a vehicle before!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #25

Thanks everyone for your advice...the space is so small under the sink it is hard to tell which pipe/hose is going where...not like all the videos where everything is easy to get to and see. Checked with the local RV place and they will show me how to do it, while they do it...pricey but well worth the piece of mind and price to pay if I didn't do it correctly.
dbquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
When I first bought my MH, I took it to a nearby business that services RVs and asked him to winterize it for me. He refused and told me that I needed to learn how to do it myself. So, I went down the street to the next guy and he did it for me in 15 minutes and $30. This is my 3rd winter and I finally decided that I would do it myself after watching these other guys do it for me. I'm a female and am learning to get handier than I had ever anticipated when I naively bought my first MH. I bought and did fixer upper homes for many years, but had never touched a vehicle before!
I think that's called "tough love!"

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:07 PM   #27
ETC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbquinlan View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice...the space is so small under the sink it is hard to tell which pipe/hose is going where...not like all the videos where everything is easy to get to and see. Checked with the local RV place and they will show me how to do it, while they do it...pricey but well worth the piece of mind and price to pay if I didn't do it correctly.
Yeah inside you shouldn't have to disconnect hoses. Make sure they give you a complete walk thru of the AC, furnace, hot water heater, how to turn on the pump and when to use it, etc... You should have an idea of what will work on power and what will work on propane. Not hard once you have someone give you a basic walk through on everything.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:57 PM   #28

I have a 2014 A122. There might be subtle differences, but most should be the same.

Battery - there is no battery disconnect as it comes from the factory. You need to fully charge the battery (several days), then disconnect it every time you bring the camper home. The CO/propane alarm, and often the stereo remain on at all times, taking power from the battery. They will drain the battery in less than 2 weeks. A fully charged, disconnected battery can be left in freezing weather over the winter without harm. A mostly discharged battery will freeze and be useless the following spring. I installed a battery cutoff switch shown in the pictures.

Plumbing: the A122 has only the inside sink, water heater, water pump, and outside shower.

The outside drain on the sink, even if left open does not drain all the water out of the trap. You need to add a little antifreeze into the sink drain.

The water pump is located under the sink on the floor. On my A122, there is a 2 sided thin plywood cover around the pump with 2 screws holding the cover to the floor. The pump switch is mounted on this cover. You want to make sure you have the pump turned off whenever you empty the water tank. On my A122, the water filter is on the upper level under the sink, against the fridge wall. You will want to remove the filter element and bowl. Don't lose the O-rings!

Low point drains are either under the sink or at the back end of the drivers side dinette seat. Water tank drain petcock is behind the driver's side tire, just behind the axle (forward end of the water tank).

The water heater is under the driver's side dinette seat, all the way forward. The bypass valves are accessed by lifting the seat plywood. The water heater anode is accessed by opening the outside panel. The switch for the water heater is near the converter and CO/propane alarm on the riser for the driver's side dinette seat.

I don't winterize because my garage stays just warm enough to avoid a hard freeze.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery cutoff switch 23Apr2016.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	126076  
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:07 PM   #29

Don't understand all this winterizing stuff? Me too
Old 12-02-2016, 11:10 PM   #30

Yo Popup Fred how's it going?
Old 12-03-2016, 05:12 AM   #31
Insert witty title here

Winterizing is a must for us. Our TT stays parked outside for an entire New England winter.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #32

Well I see one member with your unit chimed in. Save the money from the dealer and follow his intuitive instructions. You really learn best by doing. Your dealer will just overload you with do this, that and the other thing, which will end up getting you winterized without you remembering the actual steps for the next season. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #33

You definitely need the link below to get familiar with basic RV principles!

New RVer
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #34

On or first TT, my wife recorded the PDI on her phone for reference later. That's always an option when the dealer goes through the winterization with you.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #35

Great advice, as a new owner of an A122s, I took mine in last week and asked if I could watch and ask questions during the winterization and they were all cool with that. Our orientation at the dealer on purchase day was so overwhelming, that it was worth the $60 to go to our local FR dealer and have them walk me through it.

2016 Rockwood A122s
Toyota Sequoia and 4Runner
SoonerWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerWilson View Post
Great advice, as a new owner of an A122s, I took mine in last week and asked if I could watch and ask questions during the winterization and they were all cool with that. Our orientation at the dealer on purchase day was so overwhelming, that it was worth the $60 to go to our local FR dealer and have them walk me through it.
Great!
Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #37

The shortcut water system winterization method is

1. Drain the hot water tank and reinstall the anode.

2. Drain all water out from the main water drain valve.

3. Run the water pump for a few seconds to make sure "most" water is drained from the main lines and water pump.

4. Drain the shower lines by holding the shower line downward and open the shower valves.

5. Remove, empty, and reinstall the main water filter canister.

5. Close the main drain valve.

This shortcut method works, or, it has worked for me, and through sub-freezing temps.

Of course, I will not guarantee it will work for anybody else.

And, no need to tell the dealer about this.

Happy winter!
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter