Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #1

Feeling lost with all the posts about winterization

We just bought an 2012 122 last month, the guy that sold it to us hadn't had it long enough to instruct us about winterization. I am so scared we are going to miss some vital things. Without a bathroom I thought the sink was the only thing I had to worry about so I have opened up the outside hole coming from the sink and opened the faucets...there was very little that came out. I unscrewed 4 hoses under the sink to really make sure there was no water coming or going. I can see something that looks like a pump under the sink but don't know how to access it and am afraid there might be water in that...how do I find out and is there anything else I should do?
Anything else, I see some unhook the battery??
dbquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
194'er

Drain the hot water tank, Check the p-trap under the sink, Open the low point drains, use a blow out plug and blow air through the lines ,and you can ONLY use RV antifreeze, just by pass the hot water and freshwater tanks, you don't want rv antifreeze in there, it won't kill you, but it'll taste like it will. That's about it, it's not as complicated as some people make it out to be. Remove water , that's the name of the game.

2015 rockwood 194A HW.
Jaydubya81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
194'er

RV antifreeze! Not every anti feeeze, thanks autocorrect!

2015 rockwood 194A HW.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #4

This type of stuff.

Not what goes into cars, auto antifreeze is highly dangerous to have around potable water plumbing.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
This type of stuff.

Not what goes into cars, auto antifreeze is highly dangerous to have around potable water plumbing.
Not only dangerous, auto antifreeze is POISONOUS!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #6

Ok, like I said I am a new RV owners so I apologize for these next questons...

Drain the hot water tank ...how, from the inside or out and if the latter, where?

Check the p-trap under the sink ...are these the 4 plastic tubes, 2 red, 2 blue, that is about the only thing under the sink?

Open the low point drains ...where are these, accessed from inside or out?

use a blow out plug and blow air through the lines...how many lines are there, where are they (in or out) and I take it I use a air compressor to do this

RV antifreeze... do I get this at lowes/HD or would a RV place have it?

by pass the hot water and freshwater tanks...I don't even know where these are
Old 12-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbquinlan View Post

Drain the hot water tank ...how, from the inside or out and if the latter, where? Remove the anode rod from the hot water heater

Check the p-trap under the sink ...are these the 4 plastic tubes, 2 red, 2 blue, that is about the only thing under the sink? P-Trap is the drain, just pour the pink antifreeze down it

Open the low point drains ...where are these, accessed from inside or out? Outside, under the camper, they hang down.

use a blow out plug and blow air through the lines...how many lines are there, where are they (in or out) and I take it I use a air compressor to do this The blow out plug is used through your city water connection. You can purchase one for a couple of dollars at a camping store. Use a compressor but not under high line pressure, back it down to 40-50 psi.

RV antifreeze... do I get this at lowes/HD or would a RV place have it? Tractor supply, Advance, Wal Mart

Look behind the water heater, you will need to remove an access panel inside somewhere. Turn on your water pump and listen for where the noise is coming from.

You can also use the water pump to push the pink thru the lines. Many pumps have a tube attached to them where you put the tube into the gallon jug, turn the valve at the base of the tube and open each faucet. Make sure your water heater is in bypass and don't forget the outside shower and toilet. The water pump will push the pink thru the lines for you.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Drain the hot water tank ...how, from the inside or out and if the latter, where?

Check the p-trap under the sink ...are these the 4 plastic tubes, 2 red, 2 blue, that is about the only thing under the sink?

Open the low point drains ...where are these, accessed from inside or out?

use a blow out plug and blow air through the lines...how many lines are there, where are they (in or out) and I take it I use a air compressor to do this

RV antifreeze... do I get this at lowes/HD or would a RV place have it?

You sound somewhat overwhelmed by the winterization process.

If you haven't already... read up on how to winterize by going to the forum library and utilizing the links there.
Here is the link to the Library. There is also a link at the top of the page in the green bar if using a computer.

There are tons of youtube videos that will help answer your questions too.
Do a search on youtube for RV winterization and days worth of viewing will show up.

Finally, if you still have concerns you might ask a local fellow camper for help or have a dealer or mobile tech do it and show you how it is done so you can do it yourself from here on out.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #9
OYO

dbquinlan,

Where do you live? No specifics, generally speaking.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #10

northern, vermont
Old 12-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #11
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I have blown air thru my RV several times. A special connection threds onto the city water connection that will allow you to connect an air hose. Always start at the farthest water outlet (I.E sink toilet). Working closer to the water/air connection. Take your time as this is hard on an air compressor. Don't forget the outside shower. This involves both cold water and hot water so ensure you turn off the electricity and propane for the water heater. After and I mean after several 2-3 rounds of sinks and toilets and showers with only a mist coming out, you can remove the drain plug from the water heater usually a 1 1/8 socket. You'll need to open the outside door panel on the water heater to access the bolt (anode rod). Ensure all tanks are drained and the waste valves are left open. Most freshwater tanks have a petcock to drain them. All inside doors including cabinets and closets and refers need to be open to help prevent mold. Are you covering the RV for the winter? Try to prevent entering during the winter. Everything inside is frozen and normally not breakable. Like the three cracks on my entry doors inside panel....
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #12

Post #2, straight and to the point. Post #11 extremely helpful and explanatory. Awesome to reap the benefits of knowledgeable Rvers!

There's not much to worry about with our little A-Frames. Drain the water heater for sure. You will access it from the outside, (it's the ventilated metal cover with the twisty door closure) You will need to remove the anode and it will drain. Once it initially drains, we flush ours out with a gentle stream of water gurgling into from the yard hose. The debris from the anode will wash out. Air is pushed the the system last.

Lift the cover on your dinette bench seat (on the street side of the trailer) you will discover low point drains there.

Don't forget the outside shower - open the lines to push air thru them.

Post #11 says it well!!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 PM   #13

Here's a generic plumbing diagram. Don't know a lot about A-frames; you may or may not have the anti-freeze (winterizing) connection.

Don't forget to pour some RV antifreeze into your sink drains.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Plumbing pic.pdf (190.5 KB, 33 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:45 PM   #14

I just hook up and tow 10 miles to the dealer, pay $60 for them to do all the work, pick it up and bring it home. That way I know the job is done correctly.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:15 AM   #15
194'er

You assume it's done correctly! From my experience with so called RV repair\sales places, repairs are at best A crap shoot. I totally understand that not everyone is capable or Have the time to do their own maintenance or repairs. My dad wants had his RV winterized at a dealer due to a coupon for that, when he got it back he had RV any freeze in his water tank and freshwater tank after a call to the dealer they say and I quote RV antifreeze isn't poisonous, You might just need to rinse it out. My response to that is urine is it poisonous either, but I don't know too many people who enjoy drinking it

2015 rockwood 194A HW.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:28 AM   #16
OYO

Quote:
northern, vermont
I think you need antifreeze in the water lines up there, not just air. If you're not comfortable doing that I'd follow the advice above and take it to a dealer.

I don't know about RV dealers , but most boat dealers guarantee their winterizing as long as it's done before a hard freeze.

Good luck.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:32 AM   #17
Insert witty title here

One thing you can do is take it to a dealer to winterize but then watch how they do it and ask questions. Once you see just how simple it is, you'll be all set to do it yourself in the years to come.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #18
ETC

If really is simple on the A122, however it appears that basic operation of the various appliances wasn't something that the person who sold it to you went over with you. Since you don't know where some of these items are and how they work I think it would be wise to setup an appointment with a dealer and have them review everything with you. At that time you would have enough knowledge to even winterize it yourself and can ask them how at the same time you are going over the other items. I am the last one to go to a dealer for anything, but the basic rundown on each part I think would be well worth it for you.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:29 AM   #19
ETC

Also since winterizing the unit should have already been done for where you live, since it has already been bellow freezing it would be a good idea to have them check everything. Or is this unit garage kept? Either way having a dealer go over everything with you will make the spring that much more enjoyable when you can just get out and use the camper. I am assuming you have not used the systems on it based off of some of the questions. This will make spring a lot easier as you will hit the ground running come time to get out and enjoy the purchase.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #20

Quote:
northern, vermont
Speed read!

Just kidding. Just take some time and read, and it will make sense. Any loose ends, just pop back in for pointers. Equipment specific owners can give you more pointed information, being as they have been there, done that.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter