Old 07-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
First camping trip ever, challenging but we survived

2012 Rockwood A124. Whispering Hills RV Park, Ohio. Our first camping trip ever. Our son disliked the public restroom and that is one of the main reason we choose A124. We survived on this forum on how to use the cassette toilet and how to turn on the hot water heater. The internet was down the whole time. So you can imagine our pain of walking around with our cell phones above our head, looking for cell phone signal to connect us to this forum .
While facing the challenge of operating our first camper, here comes the 65+ mph wind/storm out of nowhere and we run for our vehicle (Happy 4th of July). The next day, we took on the challenge of putting up the screen room that came with the A124. I thought for sure that would end our marriage but we survived the process. We will never again put up the screen room. We permanently removed all the Velcro we had to install (the bugs, just love the glue on the back of the Velcro’s, and seems to be having a hell of a party with it). Also, we didn’t feel comfortable folding the permanent screen room over the wall of the A frame and had a dirty, screen room laying inside of the camper (when folding down the camper). Just when we started to relax a bit and decided to drive up and have a good meal, another surprise hit us pretty good. When a waitress came into a room full of people and asked “Anyone here own a Red SUV?”…well, it is never a good thing. While we enjoyed our meal, a black 4 door vehicle hit our vehicle in the parking lot and left the scene. The damage on our SUV wasn’t so bad and we got back to our camper just in time for dinner, in which the hot soup just happen to drop on to my son’s foot. Our large emergency bag came in handy and the cool water from the sink in the A124 saved the day. We ended our last night there watching the movie “RV”. We laughed and told ourselves that we didn’t have it that bad. Sounds crazy but we can’t wait until next weekend, we are taking the A124 out for another camping trip.
P.S. since the A124 loved Velcro so much, I decided to Velcro the GE Antenna, Futura HD TV to the top of the camper. My husband said that is “red neck”. I am ok with being a “red neck” with about 45 channels. I picked up the antenna from Home Depot for about $50. Check out the picture and tell me what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7043854.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	16230   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7043912.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	16231   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7074002.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	16232  

Jeff, Cindy + one kid and two dogs
2012 Rockwood A124
2007 Toyota 4Runner SR5, 4WD, Tekonsha P3
U.S. Army Veterans
threegeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Hello from Dayton, Ohio! Congrats on your new camper! I think the screen room looks pretty good in the pix. We were going to camp this weekend, but 101 degrees Friday and 102 Saturday kept us home. Sigh...

This is a great camping forum, isn't it? Lots of friendly helpful people. Welcome!

Pitstop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Hi there! We actually moved from Beavercreek/Dayton area, just about last summer, still got a rental property there. We love the area and dread having to move to Columbus. The screen room on the popup hardwall was nice, but it didn't keep the bugs away, instead, we got more bugs because they love the glue materials on the Velcros. The weather was pretty hot and we have to used the AC most of the time in the camper, (mostly for our dog). The lot we were on have two large trees and that did help some. This forum has been very helpful and we are so thankful for all the help we been getting. Our RV dealership is just as clueless as we are. Thank you!
2012 Rockwood A124
U.S. Army Veterans
Old 07-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
Congrats on the new camper, and WELCOME to the forum. What you are doing is creating memories not only for you but also your son. Ours are 30 and 27 and they hate it when we can go camping and they can't. (Work and family of course ). But they take their kids camping and they just love it. We take the grand kids about once a year and they just love the 5th wheel over a tent. HA HA. I a couple of years you will be laughing your butt off when you tell stories about your first camping trip. Each one gets better. Enjoy.
2007 Chevy 2500 HD 6.6
2012 Sabre 31RETS
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
Welcome to the forum. I was born and raised in Franklin, but have lived in Pickerington for the last 26 years.

It sounds like your first time out was a real adventure. You'll get more comfortable after a few outings. Enjoy the new trailer.

I usually go to Deer Creek, but Cowan Lake (near Wilmington) is my favorite state park. My trailer is now setup for primative camping so I plan to visit some of the Federal Reserves in southeastern Ohio on future outings.

Currently trailerless.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Wanna Be Camper
All in all sounds like a fine bunch of memories you collected for the weekend. Hope you keep enjoying your A Frame and be safe.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
I get through the rough times by continually saying "Are we having fun yet?!"

2012 Flagstaff T-12DD
2004 Chevy Suburban
2000 GMC Sierra Z-71
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
Thanks all! We will do our best to have a good time, and will adopt the saying "Are we having fun yet?" hahahahaha.
2012 Rockwood A124
U.S. Army Veterans
Old 07-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
like the hd ant. thing ... love the humor ... and appreciate the info on the screen room ... great post.

2008 Nissan Frontier 4x4
2011 Rockwood A122
D-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
I read once that the problems encountered camping help bring families closer together. Something goes wrong every trip, its how you deal with it that matters.

Once, we had a new camper and someone had left the black water tank valve open. I took the cap off the pipe and it ran all over my shoes, gushing blue water and toilet paper etc. everywhere. The guy at the next dumping station was trying to contain his laughter, but he failed after hearing my wife and son laughing hysterically...all from the comfort of the inside of the camper. I "think" I said some bad words. Now, it is one of our funniest camping calamities. It took 30 minutes to wash it all down the drain.

I agree about the Velcro. Much of ours is peeling off after just a few trips.

We call all of our campers past and present " the fun zone". We check our attitudes before we leave the house and make the most out of whatever happens!

CCrane2299 is offline   Reply With Quote