Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

First Mod-Dual 6v, new battery box and monitor

First off a big thank you to so many of you that have made great mods and suggestions.

When we bought our A-Frame I knew I would need a new battery and elected to swap the 2012 dealer installed battery for dual 6v Duracell 125's from Batteries Plus. When all was said and done with rebates and online order discounts I spend less than $83 a battery. I also had to cut and re-weld the battery box brace. I cut out the angle iron end piece, re-welded it to the end and added an additional center brace where the original end brace was for additional support. The battery box is from allbatteriessalesandservice dot com. Arrived quickly and with only minor modifications necessary on original welded frame pieces.

I added a battery tender pig tail as a result of Fred's suggestion that the long term battery charging on the camper might be too high a voltage for long term use, this allows me to keep a tender on it during the summer vs. plugged into shore power.

Last but not least I added a Accutire MS-51 Bluetooth battery monitor. It's a cool and inexpensive idea...a blue tooth monitor that gives some great battery data. I'm still undecided on what direction I want to go with solar vs gen and all that and I do want to add USB charging capability on the microwave cabinet and would most likely do a voltage monitor as well, but this cool little device lets me check the battery level while sitting in the camper from my phone. At less than $25 it was worth a shot!

Let me know what you all think!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image11.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	113921   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	113922   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	113923   Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	113924   Click image for larger version

Name:	image5.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	113925  

Colorado-A-Frame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:43 PM   #2

Looks Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado-A-Frame View Post
and I do want to add USB charging capability
This is what I recently installed after being very satisfied with the other chargers I've bought from Anker. Specifically, I've had several cheap auto chargers that refuse to work with both iOS and Android at the same time. Much less have enough power to charge several devices at once while using them. The Anker does both very well.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-5-Port-...&tag=ianker-20

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:39 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I was thinkin something more built in but I could see the advantage of a cigarette lighter and swapping having a more universal option and capability.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado-A-Frame View Post
Thanks for the info. I was thinkin something more built in but I could see the advantage of a cigarette lighter and swapping having a more universal option and capability.
I routed the cig lighter into the cabinet beside the 120V outlet on the side of the cabinet to keep the wires out of the way. It is connected it to the 12V system in there. The USB ports are fixed to the wall with 3M command strips.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:05 AM   #5

Nice job! Wish I could weld.

Here is what this Colorado camper put in his fiver for more functionality.

Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Dual USB Adapter Charger Digital Voltmeter Switch | eBay

Does your camper have an on/off battery switch? If so, strongly recommend a marine battery switch. I'm partial to the Blue Sea Systems marine switch which are easier to rotate than the Perko marine ones.

If you ever decide to go solar, hit me up for advice and designing a system for you.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #6

Thanks Tony...I do need some advice on solar. I just got back from a short 1 night trip. We did run the heat and although sort of careful on power use we had temperature lows in the high 30's and ran the heat set at 63 all night for the baby. When I woke up we were at 80% battery. If it were just my wife and the dogs and I wouldn't be so concerned with the battery use and feel more free to experiment with our power. With the baby I can't risk not having heat at night.

The solar plan I currently have is just one 100w panel to charge the batteries, no invertor. I love the "cattledog" set up that's on this board with the panel on a pole piggy backed off the jack post. That location is close to the batteries to keep the cables short and also fixed, I've hear rumors that the portable set ups can get and do get stolen.

What are your thoughts?

PS-I wish I could take credit for the welding, that's all my brothers work. I just provide the food and beer!
Old 07-17-2016, 08:51 PM   #7

I should add that I don't have an on and off switch but I can pull the 30A inline fuse, not elegant at all, but it seems to work.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #8

I did the very same thing on my new trailer. Did you happen to put a drain hole in the box? I did not. Hate to put a hole in a perfectly good battery box and the manufacturer doesn't recommend doing so anyway.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #9

I did not add a drain to the new battery box. I do love this box it fits perfectly between the factory welded long rails with a minor modification the the end brace. The white is nice too, not as heat absorbing as the black boxes

Tags
battery, modifications