Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #1

First Night in the A122BH

I'm out right now on my first night in the 2014 A122BH. It's pretty good so far, but I've run into two issues:

Hopefully this is easy, but I can't figure out how to insert the retaining pins for the outside grill! The way the lip on the top of the stove sits, there isn't room to insert the pins. Maybe I'm just trying to do it wrong!

The other issue is that my water heater seems to leak. I noticed dripping under the water heater, and removed the panel to find a little water pooled inside the bottom, under the anode rod. It may just be that the anode rod isn't tight enough, but it's a bit tricky to get a wrench in there. How tight should it be? I was able to get it hand tight.

One other question, with the low counters my 19-month-old can reach the faucets. Any ideas on how I might lock them down? Maybe there's a replacement faucet that has some sort of lock?

Luckily the fridge door has a lock, and the microwave controls have a lock as well.

I'll post pictures of the camper setup soon!

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #2

Open the lid on the grill, will make a big difference
Tomscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #3

It is open, but there is still a lip all around the bottom half that the top have sits on!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #4

I have a heat pump/thermostat question now too! I turned on the heat pump, and it works great! Once it hits the temperature it seems to turn off, but if I go to the thermostat and put it way up, it doesn't turn back on.

If I turn it completely off, then back on, it will come on again.

Is that normal? Maybe there's a delay between automatic restarts from the thermostat?
Old 04-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

You may need to remove the anode plug and wrap the threads on the anode plug with Teflon tape and then reinstall. Just snug it up. Also look to see if the relief valve on the water heater is driping. Sometimes you can manually lift it and it may reseat.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #6

The water leaking from your water heater may be what is referred to as "weeping". It is the result of heated water expanding. It's not unusual as it has happened in other campers I've owned. I wouldn't be overly concerned unless you find it excessive. If so, refer to your water heater's owner's manual. It should describe the method to reduce the frequency of weeping.
dmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #7

It may just be weeping, but I'll try adding some tape as well. There does appear to be some on the threads, but all the way near the knob, and I can't hand tighten it enough to get that far in.

The heat pump seems to work fine now, by the way! It came off and on all night and kept the camper nice and warm. It's a bit loud though!

I think there are different types of this grill too. I've seen people mention a top rack, which mine doesn't have. I'll post a picture of where the pin should go when I get home!

One other question... How can I drain the water heater tank? If I pull the anode rod, I imagine that will do it, but the water would run over the side and I would think into the floor, but maybe that's correct?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #8

The water is weeping from your pressure relief valve rather than the anonde.
dmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
Mostly Harmless

First Night in the A122BH

Pulling the anode rod is the only way to completely drain the water heater. The outside housing is completely sealed off, so water can't get into the trailer from out there unless the WH wasn't installed right (but it think they test for that). There should be a great quantity of sealant visible around the edges of the water heater access area. That's been reassuring to me.

You're right that the compressor in the heat pump won't restart immediately. It needs time for the pressures to equalize between cycles.

You might want to get a socket large enough to fit the anode rod. That'll help you get it tight enough and more importantly, loosen it. If I recall the right size is 1-1/8 inches (but it may be 1-1/16). You may need an extension too, since the access is indented. I have that socket if you ever need to borrow it.

Edit--I just went out and checked; it's a 1-1/16 nut on the anode rod.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

As for the faucets, about the only sure cure is teaching the child NO! I don't know of any locking faucets on the market.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #11

I pulled the anode rod and let it drain, and it does look pretty sealed up. However, the water runs over the edge and follows it around to the underside before dripping. I could probably make some sort of guide to run the water away better.

I'm thinking I either didn't have the rod in enough, or it was just expansion. I'll get a socket and tighten it up a bit next time!

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #12

Here are some photos! imgur: the simple image sharer

The last photo shows a really simple PVC drain with vent for my gray water. It seemed to work well!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #13

Here's a photo of the grill. I rigged something up to hold it in, but I'd prefer to use the supplied pins. That lip on the bottom half of the grill covers the holes.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
Mostly Harmless

FYI, Ben--

The Smiths, Greg and Rachel, are another DSM-area couple with an A122BH. They have a 2013 model. They're camping at Jester this week, until Friday. Just thought I'd mention it if you wanted to compare notes with a similar unit's owners. Don't know their site number but they should be easy to find.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #15

for the stove, not sure if i understand your pic, but slide the grill onto the horizontal arms, all the way back, and then open the grill and the little pinholes in the two horizonal arms should be visible to insert the pins through. you cannot access the pinholes when the grill cover is latched however.

regarding the anode rod, use teflon tape before "snugging it up" with a ratchet. the coarse threads can have a tendency to freeze/corrode in place otherwise. the teflon lubricates the area so removal is easier and helps prevent corrosion issues.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #16

Sorry that's not the best picture of the grill... The background is in focus instead of the grill!

It is pushed all the way onto the arms in that picture. There are square stops welded to the arms, and the stove stops at them. It's hard to see, but the hole in the arm is under that lip on the top of the bottom half of the grill.

I believe there is more than one type of this grill, so maybe mine is a newer, different model. The older models had a warming rack above the grill, and this one doesn't. I'll see if the dealer knows anything about it!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:44 AM   #17

I had the same trouble with mine until I looked close and saw the pin holes
Jsusluvsyou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122, a122bh