Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #1

First Outing - MANY Questions & Mods

I bought my A122BH trailer last year in November and was able to use it this last weekend down in Cedar City, Utah for the first time. Boy was it fun, but I also saw many upgrades that are needed and learned quite a bit.

Let me start with my questions for the forum and hopefully some of you can help me out:

1- Stabilizing jacks - When I back this into my RV pad it scraps the rear stabilizing jacks to the point that one was damaged and needs replacement. Are any of you aware of ones that are NOT attached, but that you can store? I was hoping I would be able to take them off and buy new ones that are free standing, just for the rear?

2- Has anyone loaded 2 6Volt Batteries in Series on this trailer along with 2 Propane tanks? All on the front tongue? I am wanting to take this route, just hoping it doesn't max out the tongue.

3- For those that have installed Solar Panels on this trailer, would you recommend a kit? Or would you buy the panels separate and buy GOOD quality controllers separately as well? The renogy kit looks tempting, but I've heard the Controller is not very good.

What I already learned and have changed:

1- Microwave is gone!!! We will never use it and it now is a great place for more storage. EASY Modification. I used a scrap piece of drywall to enclose the wires behind.

2- Removed the water filter. I'm camping... I'm not worried about that water at all not being filtered. Now I have more room under the sink. Also incredibly easy to remove and requires no extra parts.

3- Hangers, hoops, and hooks are now installed all over the place to help hang coats, water bottles, keys, etc... Super easy.

I know this is a lot for my first post and I apologize in advance if it's too much for one thread.

I have really enjoyed reading this forum as everyone seems very helpful, full of great info, and cool ideas.
Harkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #2

1) yes, you can remove the attached jacks and use stand alone jacks to replace them. Google "stand alone stabilizing jacks" to check out whats available.
2) 2 6v batteries will not cause an overweight issue with your RV.
3) I'd buy a kit to install solar panels. Typically the kit has been engineered for you, is less $$ than buying all the parts individually, and there's no waiting for the next part you ordered to arrive.

Your post was very comprehensive and well presented. Nothing wrong with asking several questions in 1 post. Hope you enjoy your new unit and happy camping!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #3
Site Team

If you plan your system carefully a package is a good deal. If you are not sure on the number/wattage of the panels you need and think you may add a panel, try to upgrade to the next lager controller. That way you do not need a new controller if you add a panel. Consider where you will be camping when you consider solar. If you camp primarily in open areas ( no large trees) permanent mount is OK. If you mostly camp in the shade, you may need more panels or non-permanent mounted ( not necessarily portable) position-able panels.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:26 AM   #4

Thank you both for such great info!
Old 04-30-2016, 05:02 AM   #5

I swapped out the 12v for two 6volts.I use the Renogy 100w suitcase with built in charge controller and 20ft cable,there is a quick disconnect on the cable so I just leave the clips on the battery all the time so there is no messing with the battery box cover. That way I can park in the shade and have the pannel in the sun.
StevenT231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #6

Removable Jacks

Camping World sells some removable jack attachments so you can remove the jacks easily. I haven't tried them, but I'm thinking about it.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:34 PM   #7

Im pulling two deep cycle 12 volts...on the tongue . ..no issues for me...but we need to know what your pulling with..
As far as solar...use your brains on this point....your powering a water pump...5 12 volt lights...a stereo . ..sometimes the furnace fan...ignition for you water heater....and some parasitic draws.
80 watts with good power bank of either 6 volts or 12 volt good quality deep cyles will do you for a good 5 days...solar is a nice to have if your off the grid for a week or more...

I rarely take the solar panel out of the garage if im off the grid for 5 or less days.....but i religiously recharge my batteries
Old 04-30-2016, 11:31 PM   #8

Jacks

Growing up my family used the aluminum jack stands for many years.
We would level the trailer and then place the jacks under the frame and snug them up. Easy removal as well.
Wally world carries them as well as other places.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44560-Ol...076771&sr=1-10

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:34 PM   #9

Go Solar

Your batteries will love you if you charge them every day with solar. Once I started using a small solar panel, my batteries lasted much longer. Start small and work up if you're not sure. The panels also keep your batteries topped off while in storage.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
Growing up my family used the aluminum jack stands for many years.
We would level the trailer and then place the jacks under the frame and snug them up. Easy removal as well.
Wally world carries them as well as other places.

Amazon.com: Camco 44560 Olympian Aluminum Stack Jack Stand - 4 pack: Automotive
Thanks! I just might have to get a pair of those for the rear of my rig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
Your batteries will love you if you charge them every day with solar. Once I started using a small solar panel, my batteries lasted much longer. Start small and work up if you're not sure. The panels also keep your batteries topped off while in storage.
I ordered the 100W Renogy on Friday. I'll hopefully get around to installing it this coming week/weekend. Thanks for your input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
Camping World sells some removable jack attachments so you can remove the jacks easily. I haven't tried them, but I'm thinking about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenT231 View Post
I swapped out the 12v for two 6volts.I use the Renogy 100w suitcase with built in charge controller and 20ft cable,there is a quick disconnect on the cable so I just leave the clips on the battery all the time so there is no messing with the battery box cover. That way I can park in the shade and have the pannel in the sun.
I think I like the idea of the "non-installed" method of using solar. Very rarely will I have the choice of how my trailer will be facing or parked. We try to go to very remote places so having the freedom to move the panels around VS being installed on the roof will give us more flexibility I think. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2016, 08:49 AM   #11

I've always thought about removing the water filter. Seems a waste of space.

Also, I'm a huge fan of command hooks! They hold everything in our camper!
mikeandclay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications