Old 06-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
First Post - Mattress Upgrade

Hi everyone! First post here. I've got a Rockwood A122s.

The number one reason I purchased this trailer was for comfort (specifically a good night's sleep). I was tired of sleeping on the ground in a tent and my wife says it's freezing when it's 70 degrees we needed something with a dedicated bed and decent heat/insulation.

The mattress that comes with this trailer is pretty good, for a camper mattress. But I wanted something with more cushion and there appeared to be plenty of room for a thicker Full XL mattress. After doing a lot of research I landed on this one: - LUCID 10 Inch Memory Foam Mattress - Dual-Layered - CertiPUR-US Certified - 25-Year Warranty - FULL XL - Lucid Matreess Foam

It's a Lucid 10 inch memory foam mattress available on Amazon. I got it for about $310.

I removed the factory mattress, rolled out this new one and let it sit for 24 hours with the trailer popped up and the vent open a crack to allow the air to circulate. When I returned the next day the mattress was fully expanded and ready to go! And it's a perfect fit. It's about 2" taller than the factory mattress, but there's still plenty of clearance to fold down the sides.

I took it out last week and got the best night's sleep I've ever had in a trailer. And, it's actually easier to lift the mattress to get into the under-mattress storage because this mattress bends more easily.

I know these mattresses aren't for everyone, but for me it was great. Especially if you're a side sleeper and get tired of bruised hips & elbows!

I haven't found a fitted sheet for it yet...just using a queen flat sheet for now.

dheinig97007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:08 AM   #2

Thanks for this post. We are looking for a replacement mattress too. Now if only we could get that mattress heater installed on a new memory foam.

Mark and Dawn
2014 a122s
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
MinneweeseMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
Thanks for the post and links. And welcome to the forum.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #4
World Traveler Member
I got the 2 inch memory foam and put it on top of the regular pads and it works great and cheaper.
2014 A194HW
2004 Toyota 4runner V8 4WD
abdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
Welcome to the Forum! Looks like you are starting off well with your first mod! Congrats on your new trailer!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
Great to hear that you're able to replace the mattress. We've been thinking about doing the same thing!
mikeandclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
We went with a 4" Walmart foam topper. It is working out fine for us.
Bwofford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #8
We went with a foam topper as well and it is very comfortable. It also makes putting on bedding much easier as I just dress the topper and let it fall back down into place. Someone on here had talked about military sheets that the top and bottom sheet were seen together at the bottom. So I tacked the bottom of the sheets together in 5 places and it worked perfectly! Sheets and blankets stayed over the whole bed instead of pulling up and bunching.

2016 A212HW
thepoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:00 PM   #9
Awesome on the foam topper. We just washed ours and readied it for trip #10. We go out on Thursday for 4 nights The Wofford's from Tennessee
Bwofford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:47 PM   #10
We have a 10" Nova foam from Costco, here in WA 400. worth every penny. Slept like we were on our tempurpedic at home.

GmanHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote