Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #1

First Post - Mattress Upgrade

Hi everyone! First post here. I've got a Rockwood A122s.

The number one reason I purchased this trailer was for comfort (specifically a good night's sleep). I was tired of sleeping on the ground in a tent and my wife says it's freezing when it's 70 degrees out...so we needed something with a dedicated bed and decent heat/insulation.

The mattress that comes with this trailer is pretty good, for a camper mattress. But I wanted something with more cushion and there appeared to be plenty of room for a thicker Full XL mattress. After doing a lot of research I landed on this one:

Amazon.com - LUCID 10 Inch Memory Foam Mattress - Dual-Layered - CertiPUR-US Certified - 25-Year Warranty - FULL XL - Lucid Matreess Foam

It's a Lucid 10 inch memory foam mattress available on Amazon. I got it for about $310.

I removed the factory mattress, rolled out this new one and let it sit for 24 hours with the trailer popped up and the vent open a crack to allow the air to circulate. When I returned the next day the mattress was fully expanded and ready to go! And it's a perfect fit. It's about 2" taller than the factory mattress, but there's still plenty of clearance to fold down the sides.

I took it out last week and got the best night's sleep I've ever had in a trailer. And, it's actually easier to lift the mattress to get into the under-mattress storage because this mattress bends more easily.

I know these mattresses aren't for everyone, but for me it was great. Especially if you're a side sleeper and get tired of bruised hips & elbows!

I haven't found a fitted sheet for it yet...just using a queen flat sheet for now.
dheinig97007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:08 AM   #2

Thanks!

Hi:

Thanks for this post. We are looking for a replacement mattress too. Now if only we could get that mattress heater installed on a new memory foam.
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
My YouTube Channel
Days Camped 2016/2017/2018/2019: 98/106/109/73
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the post and links. And welcome to the forum.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #4
World Traveler Member

I got the 2 inch memory foam and put it on top of the regular pads and it works great and cheaper.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #5

Welcome to the Forum! Looks like you are starting off well with your first mod! Congrats on your new trailer!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #6

Great to hear that you're able to replace the mattress. We've been thinking about doing the same thing!
mikeandclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:41 PM   #7

We went with a 4" Walmart foam topper. It is working out fine for us.
Bwofford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #8

We went with a foam topper as well and it is very comfortable. It also makes putting on bedding much easier as I just dress the topper and let it fall back down into place. Someone on here had talked about military sheets that the top and bottom sheet were seen together at the bottom. So I tacked the bottom of the sheets together in 5 places and it worked perfectly! Sheets and blankets stayed over the whole bed instead of pulling up and bunching.

ThePoms
Rockwood
2016 A212HW
thepoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:00 PM   #9

Awesome on the foam topper. We just washed ours and readied it for trip #10. We go out on Thursday for 4 nights The Wofford's from Tennessee
Bwofford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:47 PM   #10

We have a 10" Nova foam from Costco, here in WA 400. worth every penny. Slept like we were on our tempurpedic at home.
GmanHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:01 AM   #11

Sleeping in the Camper Now!

After reading this thread, DW and I did some research and decided on this mattress.

We had a discussion about buying the 9" or 7" and decided on the 7". The 9" would have extended above the counter a bit and put me 2" closer to the angled wall and bubble window. We were concerned 7" of memory foam would not be thick enough.

The mattress came FedEx the day before we were leaving for a week-long trip. It comes rolled up with a lot of the air removed, not too bulky at all. Took it out of the box and put it the camper while we unwrapped it. It expands quite a bit and it fits a little better than the original. While unwrapping it we thought we were smelling the mattress but it turned out to be the plastic it is wrapped in. There was no odor or funny smell at all.

DW took a nap on the mattress within 15 minutes of installation and pronounced it good.

We left the next day for our trip and slept better than ever. With the old mattress, I found I had to flip to sleeping on my left side, then my right side every two hours or so, but with this mattress I don't think I ever moved all night.

Once home we realized our mattress in the house is not as comfortable so now I am sneaking out to the camper to sleep!
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
My YouTube Channel
Old 10-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #12

Update after a full season

This mattress is still great! Spent 18 nights in the U.P. on it and we would recommend it. We thought it might not be thick enough but it has proven to be enough.
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
My YouTube Channel
Old 10-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #13

Upgrade - Memory Foam Mattress

I suspect that mattress comfort is as individual as temperature. My wife also thinks it's cold when it's 70 outside. We put 2" of memory foam on top of our mattress in the 213HW and it sleeps great.

Kdot:
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #14
Rockwood A192HW Camper

6" foam topper here. very nice.
ronmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #15
Rodney & Patty

Being in the same boat as the rest above, we have suffered with our original mattress for longer than we should have. We hated the idea of spending too much on a mattress that we only sleep on 30-40 nights year. Even with the $200 topper it was still terrible for more than a night or two. We decided today to hit up the local mattress stores to see what we could muster. Most of which only had the standard residential sizes available but when we stopped at Imex furniture (New Hartford, NY 315-738-7976) they are an Eclipse Mattress dealer - made in America, NJ plant serves our area. The sales manager, Paul knew that they had nothing but standard sizes and would have nothing that would perfectly replace our Olympic Queen (66x80) so he called the factory directly to see if they could custom make us a mattress. We picked the pocketed innerspring, plush, that we liked from the floor displays and they are custom making us a one of a kind. I was almost afraid to ask the price but it is the same price as the next standard size up - in our case a king. We have went down the road of buying a mail order, rolled up foam mattress and have no desire to go down that path again. I am very heat sensitive and since we camp in warmer weather, I feel like I am melting and am unable to sleep on memory foam. Can't wait for our mattress to come in - it's about a 2 week wait being a special order.

2015 Salem Hemishere 337 BAR
2014 Ram 3500SRW Laramie 6.7 I6
rdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #16

Nice post, rdenslow. I have been hesitant about a foam mattress. Also for the heat reasons and the occasional dry camping I do along the Gulf Coast. (Corpus Christi beach on Labor Day weekend was a treat) I'll start looking around for custom sized innersprings.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade