Old 09-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #11

Merrykalia. . I've actually been here awhile. Not sure when I joined.. but my profile says I'm a "senior " member. Maybe they're referring to my age. Lol. Rember.. I had a 2010 forest river travel trailer (Wildwood) I bought in 2012. That's probably when I joined.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM-AZ View Post
Well it all depends on your perceptions, expectations, and the individual's perceived needs. If you expected cramped quarters, but were pleasantly surprised by the "adequacy" of an A-Frame, you will be pleased. If your baseline expectations stem from experiences with a 30 foot travel trailer or a 5ver, then the A-frame may be a unacceptable downgrade.

For me coming from a lifetime of tent camping, the A-frame is pure luxury. (A real sink! Amazing!) The fact that I can park it in my garage was the clinching factor.

There are many A-Frame owners who a very happy with the instant setup compared to tent campers. And no canvas to rot or replace over the years is great as well. But yes, those pull out bunks on tent campers give you enormous room.
True. Went and looked at them again today. They can order a 14 foot A-frame box trailer; new one by Flagstaff, but would need to see it in person.
Sure like the easy setup, not that the popup is hard, it is just more time consuming.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #13

I had a Wildwood 22rbxl travel trailer. . That's Forest River's lower end.. don't get me wrong. They are great units. I loved mine. But with that TT I had to haul most of my accessories in the bed of my pick up. Pretty Much 0 outside storage. In the a122s I can carry everything in the camper's storage compartments. Good to have my truck bed back.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #14

Newbies, A 12 volt battery needs to be connected so your breakaway switch will work for your trailer brakes. I also have an a122s and thought i was heavy on the tongue approaching 400lbs. Keep light stuff in the forward compartment, don't bog the tongue down with a bunch of heavy stuff there. I got a second battery but don't run with it connected. It remains in the slide out tray in the rear. I plan on rotating the two batteries and connect them for boondocking with a solar panel that sits back on the bed during travel. A couple of stubby 3 gallon water jugs goes under the bed. Haven't seen much of a balance difference between running with the 20 gallon tank filled or empty since it sits pretty close to center. Rearrange things, reweigh, keep doing that until your tongue weight is acceptable percentage of the trailer loaded weight. We haven't ran out the first propane tank after 8 trips out, so may go to a single tank set up.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #15

Thank you everyone for all your comments. we will be rearranging a bit more to achieve better tongue weight.

Newbies to Aframe

2015 A122S
2003 Toyota Highlander, V6
Old 09-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
However, compared to my 12 foot box popup, I can't figure out how I would survive in one with my two large dogs on a rainy day.
I have two dobermans and on a rainy day they are either both on the queen bed or one is on the floor. I have a lawn chair that fits between the door/range area so I can read. Bench seats don't do much for my back.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #17

Great to read that your are enjoying your A-Frame, Chuck! I still have a love affair with mine.

It is amazing how much room there is with thoughtful organization and storage systems. Everything fits in the trailer, no loading down the tow vehicle with excess that doesn't fit inside it.

It's not for everyone one and I agree, it is all about perception and user needs. Happy camping and enjoy your adventures!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122, first time