Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #1

First time out in a122s.

Doing a little one nighter test camp in the new2me camper. Close to home. No sites available for the weekend. (Labor day ). That's ok.. I have things to do at home. Nice to finally try it out, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1441315048133.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	87743  
Old 09-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #2

Have fun! Triangle campers are terrific.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:08 PM   #3

Heading to the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC for the weekend. I love what our campers offer. Congrats on your maiden venture.

2019 XLR Boost 36DSX13
2012 F-350 SuperCrew, 6.7L, FX4, 4x4, DRW, tow package, 3.55 axle, flatbed
cheriesgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #4

It's really strange.. maybe you guys will know what I mean, but it seems like this aframe is roomier than the 23 ft trave trailer I came out of.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #5

These things are all about efficiency. I never expected to spend a lot of daylight hours in ours. But a few rainy days later, we are still loving the camper. We get a lot of comments from neighbouring campers about how much space is inside.

2019 XLR Boost 36DSX13
2012 F-350 SuperCrew, 6.7L, FX4, 4x4, DRW, tow package, 3.55 axle, flatbed
cheriesgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

Wow. I guess I get a different opinion of the room. I was down the street looking at some Coachman Clipper 12RBST; 12 foot boxes, at least that is what I was told. (Seriously considering dumping the popup.

However, compared to my 12 foot box popup, I can't figure out how I would survive in one with my two large dogs on a rainy day.

They are nice, love the setup being as simple as simple can get. And would not have had to change camping locations next week due to bear problems (no popups or tents, but hardsides are ok).

But just don't see how they are roomy. Am I missing something?

I will say that I have read that Rockwood and Flagstaff now have 14' box models, and will go look at one, as soon as I can find a dealer who has one in stock.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #7

Well it all depends on your perceptions, expectations, and the individual's perceived needs. If you expected cramped quarters, but were pleasantly surprised by the "adequacy" of an A-Frame, you will be pleased. If your baseline expectations stem from experiences with a 30 foot travel trailer or a 5ver, then the A-frame may be a unacceptable downgrade.

For me coming from a lifetime of tent camping, the A-frame is pure luxury. (A real sink! Amazing!) The fact that I can park it in my garage was the clinching factor.

There are many A-Frame owners who a very happy with the instant setup compared to tent campers. And no canvas to rot or replace over the years is great as well. But yes, those pull out bunks on tent campers give you enormous room.

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #8

Hitch weight on A122S

Hello: Noticed your A122S - exact same one that we had just purchased. We just sold our tent trailer so that we do not need to worry about the airing of the trailer before and after and still can store in our home garage. We used to pull a 2004 Coachman Clipper Sport 1006ST with our 2003 Toyota Highlander with no problems. Loaded with stuff for the kids and firewood etc (except the tank as we never carry water in the trailer except for the reliant jug that everyone owns). Our SUV (V6) can only tow 3600lb which we thought no issues with A122S until we see how much sag the rear is shown once hitched.

I have questions:

(1) Does tongue weight 283 lb (according to the brochure) includes propane and batteries ?
(2) We weigh the trailer tongue hitch in our garage and found a whopping 600 lb !!! Is that even possible ? we moved the batteries (hubby opted for two 6V deep cycle instead of one 12V so that added extra weight to the hitch). We experimented and moved both batteries to the back behind the axle and found the weight dropped to within Highlander 350 lb spec - whew. My question for this is, how safe is it to constantly move the propane tanks and batteries to the storage (under the bed) in order to decrease the tongue weight.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Newbies to A122S (Calgary, Alta) - tow with 2003 V6 Highlander

Learning to post on this forum so please forgive me if I did not post it correctly. Thank you
Newbies to Aframe 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #9

Chuck, welcome to the FROG forum. I check out all the different forums on here.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbies to Aframe 2015 View Post
....Our SUV (V6) can only tow 3600lb which we thought no issues with A122S until we see how much sag the rear is shown once hitched.

I have questions:

(1) Does tongue weight 283 lb (according to the brochure) includes propane and batteries ?
(2) We weigh the trailer tongue hitch in our garage and found a whopping 600 lb !!! Is that even possible ? we moved the batteries (hubby opted for two 6V deep cycle instead of one 12V so that added extra weight to the hitch). We experimented and moved both batteries to the back behind the axle and found the weight dropped to within Highlander 350 lb spec - whew. My question for this is, how safe is it to constantly move the propane tanks and batteries to the storage (under the bed) in order to decrease the tongue weight.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I doubt you have 600lb tongue weight, but you could easily have 400lb. Anything stored in that forward storage trunk is also adding to your tongue weight (mostly).

What you really need is a WDH/anti-sway like an E2 Equalizer. I was very unhappy when I first test drove my 2014 A122 with my Hyundai Entourage (minivan). It porpoised pretty badly, even at 25-30 MPH around the dealer's lot. The dealer installed an Equalizer E2 600/6000, and the minivan now handles and rides like normal, and the A122 trailers obediently behind through the Rockies and on the Interstate. It rides and trailers well enough that my wife is comfortable driving in 35MPH crosswinds on the interstate. And it got rid of a very low-riding hitch. Absolutely worth the $500 or so (my dealer installed the WDH/anti-sway for $320, which is probably less than his cost including labor).

I will never again tow an RV of any kind with a soft suspension vehicle unless I have a WDH/anti-sway installed.

congratulations - we love our A122

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
next trip - Lincoln, Nebraska for Cornhusker football
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #11

Merrykalia. . I've actually been here awhile. Not sure when I joined.. but my profile says I'm a "senior " member. Maybe they're referring to my age. Lol. Rember.. I had a 2010 forest river travel trailer (Wildwood) I bought in 2012. That's probably when I joined.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM-AZ View Post
Well it all depends on your perceptions, expectations, and the individual's perceived needs. If you expected cramped quarters, but were pleasantly surprised by the "adequacy" of an A-Frame, you will be pleased. If your baseline expectations stem from experiences with a 30 foot travel trailer or a 5ver, then the A-frame may be a unacceptable downgrade.

For me coming from a lifetime of tent camping, the A-frame is pure luxury. (A real sink! Amazing!) The fact that I can park it in my garage was the clinching factor.

There are many A-Frame owners who a very happy with the instant setup compared to tent campers. And no canvas to rot or replace over the years is great as well. But yes, those pull out bunks on tent campers give you enormous room.
True. Went and looked at them again today. They can order a 14 foot A-frame box trailer; new one by Flagstaff, but would need to see it in person.
Sure like the easy setup, not that the popup is hard, it is just more time consuming.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #13

I had a Wildwood 22rbxl travel trailer. . That's Forest River's lower end.. don't get me wrong. They are great units. I loved mine. But with that TT I had to haul most of my accessories in the bed of my pick up. Pretty Much 0 outside storage. In the a122s I can carry everything in the camper's storage compartments. Good to have my truck bed back.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #14

Newbies, A 12 volt battery needs to be connected so your breakaway switch will work for your trailer brakes. I also have an a122s and thought i was heavy on the tongue approaching 400lbs. Keep light stuff in the forward compartment, don't bog the tongue down with a bunch of heavy stuff there. I got a second battery but don't run with it connected. It remains in the slide out tray in the rear. I plan on rotating the two batteries and connect them for boondocking with a solar panel that sits back on the bed during travel. A couple of stubby 3 gallon water jugs goes under the bed. Haven't seen much of a balance difference between running with the 20 gallon tank filled or empty since it sits pretty close to center. Rearrange things, reweigh, keep doing that until your tongue weight is acceptable percentage of the trailer loaded weight. We haven't ran out the first propane tank after 8 trips out, so may go to a single tank set up.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #15

Thank you everyone for all your comments. we will be rearranging a bit more to achieve better tongue weight.

Newbies to Aframe

2015 A122S
2003 Toyota Highlander, V6
Newbies to Aframe 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
However, compared to my 12 foot box popup, I can't figure out how I would survive in one with my two large dogs on a rainy day.
I have two dobermans and on a rainy day they are either both on the queen bed or one is on the floor. I have a lawn chair that fits between the door/range area so I can read. Bench seats don't do much for my back.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #17

Great to read that your are enjoying your A-Frame, Chuck! I still have a love affair with mine.

It is amazing how much room there is with thoughtful organization and storage systems. Everything fits in the trailer, no loading down the tow vehicle with excess that doesn't fit inside it.

It's not for everyone one and I agree, it is all about perception and user needs. Happy camping and enjoy your adventures!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122, first time