Old 06-24-2018, 10:56 PM   #1

First trip down. Actuator, water, and other revelations.

The first outing with our new (2016 hold over) 194HW is done. Now it's time to reflect.
Positives:
1. My Jeep CRD (common rail diesel) pulled through some pretty hilly terrain without any concerns what so ever. No wiggle. No float. No lugging. It was just a one handed, casual conversation drive. Not concerned about that anymore.
2. My actuator is shot, and I'm waiting on the new one. I was concerned about manually lifting the roof, but that, too, is no problem. As a matter of fact, I'm not installing the new one when it arrives. This is just too fast and easy.
3. We have the tiny bathroom and it was worth every penny and every inch of space.
3. I learned a lot. Camping isn't new to me. I spent most of the 1980's and 90's in duck blinds for days at a time. But these little rigs are complex, and my first class is over.
4. My wife, previously on the fence, is tilting this way. She's not off the fence yet, but we made some progress.
Negatives:
1. Storage. WOW, these things are little! We're moving forward pretty quickly with some organizing skills and tools.
2. Water. WOW, it doesn't take long to go through 25(ish) gallons of water! New plan, there, too, in place.
3. My electric jack likes to over travel and eat fuses.

Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions. Feedback is always appreciated.

jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:31 PM   #2

1. Don't pack so much stuff, LOL.
2. Water is always an issue in one sence or another. Hauling it away is my hardest job. I bought a wheeled water tank off eBay for sink water. Ya learn to shave using the campground bathroom or just a basin of warm water.
3. Paint the electric jack pipe with red or orange paint for a do not cross line to stop the jack at.

MontyPP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPP View Post
1. Don't pack so much stuff, LOL.
2. Water is always an issue in one sence or another. Hauling it away is my hardest job. I bought a wheeled water tank off eBay for sink water. Ya learn to shave using the campground bathroom or just a basin of warm water.
3. Paint the electric jack pipe with red or orange paint for a do not cross line to stop the jack at.
1. Shave?

2. I learned that, too. I no longer wait for my 5 gallon bucket to get full, OR, I bring two and fill two. Carrying one full bucket can be a monster. I grew up on the farm, and I should know better. Lesson re-learned.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:35 PM   #4

Make sure you use Slo-blow fuses on the jack, they are a little more forgiving once you hit the stops. I also find just raising/lowering the roof by hand much easier, and dont have to worry about possible damage some have received with the power lift
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first trip, water