Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #1

First "trip" in the A127

...and...we're camping!!!

We finally got out and spent our first night camping....in the backyard! Far enough from the house to call it "roughing it", but not far enough for the "oops, forgot the ...". I spent all day preparing for the "trip", and learning the entire time. I'm a list person, and I now have at least 4 lists going strong!!

Thank you to everyone on this forum who has posted tips and tricks, as they sure did come in handy for the initial step. The next trip, no matter how far, will be another learning experience for us...and we are really looking forward to it!!

Dinner was chicken and asparagus on the grill - grill works (check that one off the list) - and a bottle of Moscato. Life is good!

2012 Ford Raptor
Camping born-on date: 21 July 2012
Nights camped: 2014-3 (so far!!); 2013-16; 2012-2 nights
FarFromStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #2

I had planned the same type of backyard shake down cruise, but instead will be planning a mini vacation around the time I am picking up my new trailer which is about 900 miles from where I live. Good advice for new owners...
Maranatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #3

Excited to hear that your first trip was a success. Hope there is many more...(does that mean you will be buying moscato by the case? :-)
2lvrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #4

MOSCATO? I knew I liked you from your first post! LoL

Looks like a great time! Good for you two, to practice! I took off and improvised as needed. It was a different adjustment to minimize from TT to smaller interior storage areas...It didnt matter how many times I took my TT out, I still made notes and a list for whay to bring along next time...this Hard Side is no different...I jist checked off my list...I did add a clear bladed squeegee to my box of trailer 'must haves' after getting caught in the rainstorm and taking down in between showers bursts...a squeegee would have been great...I used an already wet towel to try to wipe excess water off the side walls that fold inside.

I am very excited to see where you two venture off to....dont forget the pictures!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
Site Team

I love reading about new owners camping in the backyard or driveway. I wished I had thought of doing that when I brought my TT.

Please do keep on sharing your experience with us & keep the pictures coming too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lvrvn View Post
Excited to hear that your first trip was a success. Hope there is many more...(does that mean you will be buying moscato by the case? :-)
That's a great idea!! (improvised wine glasses clinking!!!)
2012 Ford Raptor
Old 07-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #7

Now that the first trip is under our belts, it's time for the big mods to begin!! First, we stole ThunderRoad's shelving idea - an awesome and cost effective mod! (search on "aframe shelving" for his video) Not a permanent mod, but one that I can't live without!

Interior lights are being replaced with LEDs - thank you handbuilder for the info on those! They are scheduled to arrive at the house today!

I want to get a couple more of the removable tables and additional wall cargo nets. I haven't done much searching on those items yet, but I'm sure someone has posted about those...if not, I'll send out an APB in a different thread.

The weekend ended with the installation of a storage box on the storage deck. LOVE IT!! Easily holds the Honda EU2000 gennie, EZ-up, 2 chairs, outdoor mats and still plenty of room for the tool box, splice kit, and other essentials.

2012 Ford Raptor
Old 07-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #8

Looking good! I have been on the fence to place a large toolbox on the deck...as Carey wants to carry Enduro bike when we do desert camping/gemming..so I am packing the awning and chairs inside to distribute weight. Cooler, fold down dog crates on on the deck & gennie (if is use is tiantcipated)..still working out a happy medium. The tool box looks great & has me reconsidering its use for my needs.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Looking good! I have been on the fence to place a large toolbox on the deck...as Carey wants to carry Enduro bike when we do desert camping/gemming..so I am packing the awning and chairs inside to distribute weight. Cooler, fold down dog crates on on the deck & gennie (if is use is tiantcipated)..still working out a happy medium. The tool box looks great & has me reconsidering its use for my needs.
Thanks Tamara!! If you decide to do the box, just be aware that you'll need to secure it to the frame. We used several self-tapping screws since it will be a permanent component of the trailer. There is still room between the box and the front of the storage deck for a couple of bicycles, or other items (coolers, additional spare tire, etc)...not sure an Enduro bike will fit though.
2012 Ford Raptor
Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #10

Just did a driveway camping this weekend for the maiden voyage of my new A122. It was great. It is a less stressful way to fix up the camper, organize things, and learn what all these buttons and switches do.

One small problem I noted was that the large window was hard to pull open. After pulling about halfway, then it was easy. The smaller one slide open fine. Has anyone had a similar issue?
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
Flagstaff 22FBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsu View Post
Just did a driveway camping this weekend for the maiden voyage of my new A122. It was great. It is a less stressful way to fix up the camper, organize things, and learn what all these buttons and switches do.

One small problem I noted was that the large window was hard to pull open. After pulling about halfway, then it was easy. The smaller one slide open fine. Has anyone had a similar issue?
Yes, in ours they are both difficult to open, but the small one is even more so. I'll be optimistic and say that since they are tight fitting, hopefully they will not leak in the future? Another issue we had was the large window screen always fell out when we traveled. To hold it in place I used 2" strips of black electrical tape in several areas around the screen frame. We don't open the screen, so that's not an issue, and the black tape blends right in and isn't noticeable.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #12

Glad my shelving mini-mod was helpful. We've found it basically mandatory at this point for us.

If you find a source for those wall cargo nets, please fire up a thread with the info. I've been googling like crazy and haven't been able to find anything, and I feel silly calling FR to ask if I can get some from them or where they source from.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #13

Thanks again for the recommendation ThuderRoad. We don't care for clutter and find that the shelving allows us to get things off of the table and counter but still keeps it within arms reach.

We placed a call to our dealer to inquire about the cargo nets. They are researching it with FR and I'll let everyone know what they come back with.
2012 Ford Raptor