Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #1

First trip with NTU A122 - review

The first trip with our 2012 A122 went well overall, and we like our A frame.

Pros:
Setup and takedown was a smooth breeze, and very quick.
Koolcat works great for both a/c and heating.
Roof vent fan is quite impressive, moving air effectively.
A frame does not get "oven hot" from the afternoon sun.
Mattress, with 1 1/2" memory gel foam added, is very comfortable.
Feels in between a travel trailer and a popup.

Cons:

Entry step was sloppy, but I fixed that, as shown below.
Top half of door has a glitch latch, and could use advice about that, as shown below.

The entry step was sloppy, in that it was not balanced from right to left as horizontal.
I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut off about 1/4" by 5/8" to make it level from left to right, and also horizontal from front to back. The step was resting first on the left side, but not on the right side. When stepping on to the step, it would twist until the right side went down far enough to catch and stop on the stop plate. I trimmed the left edge, and now both the left and right sides are in balance.

My remaining issue is with this door latch on the upper half of the door.
It has actually bent the metal, as shown, and that was probably from the latch being out of position when the door shut. I have no idea of when or how that really did happen, and I would appreciate any advice about this situation.

We had curiosity seekers stop at our campsite, and ask about the Rockwood A122.
I gave positive reviews about it, and we can handle the minor issues that exist with any camper, and appreciate "the big camping picture".

mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
Mostly Harmless

First trip with NTU A122 - review

The turnbuckle on the upper door isn't intended as a latch, but more as a way to hold the door tight to its weatherstripping during bad weather. It does occasionally get turned sideways; if it bends the aluminum frame just grasp the frame with thumbs and forefingers and bend it back. Unless the design has changed since my 2011, you'll find it fairly easy to straighten.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #3

Hamguy - Ok, I straightened

it using a c clamp and a couple small blocks of wood.

I will also latch it whenever closing the top.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
Mostly Harmless

Your way will result in a nicer looking repair than mine. I hadn't thought about using it when folding down the camper but I'll try it next time. It might keep the upper left corner of the door from rubbing on the inner roof during travel. I've been using a cloth to cover that corner; don't know why I never thought about using the turnbuckle. Thanks for mentioning that.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrock View Post
it using a c clamp and a couple small blocks of wood.
I actually have a spot in a different place that needs just that treatment.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #6

Turnbuckle fix -

After straightening the door edge next to the turnbuckle with the c clamp and wood blocks, I realized the turnbuckle actually spun somewhat freely. This could be problematic, so I cut a small 3/4" length of wire tie(used for plastic bags). I then used a straightened out paper clip to work the wire tie into the small gap between the turnbuckle and the door. The wire tie actually goes around the special rivet for the turnbuckle.

Now the turnbuckle stays in place instead of spinning freely, but it can be easily turned when I want to use it.

My neighbor was running a leaf blower, making some noise, and I noticed that when I used the turnbuckle with a 45 degree turn onto the inside door, that the leaf blower noise decreased significantly. So, this improved sealing of the upper door will improve both thermal insulation and outside noise reduction.

If there are any friction buffs and/or missing white paint anywhere, rustoleum high gloss white will do the trick for touching up.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #7

Make sure your Rustoleum is fresh- mine was a little old and turned a lovely pink shade. Had to repaint.
kkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122