Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #21

Thanka

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
dmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #22

my Aframe is back from the dealer and all is well.
what happened was two of the rivets pulled away from the roof in the original repair ... causing the 3m tape to expand to the point that it failed ..
now what they have done is re-ripped the window out ... reseal it again with caulking between the bubble and roof ... double rivet the roof with expanding rivets ... then apply 3m extreme all around the outside ledges ...
looks great .. and i know now there will never be a leak .. just from experience.

cudos to travel-mor trailers in ottawa ..

d-mo
Old 09-13-2014, 03:54 AM   #23

So happy this thread came up because I'd live to get some thoughts from the group!

I'm typing this from Azalea Campground in Sequoia National Park- half way thru my 10-day trip. Just got to this CG today, and there is cell service- which is a double edged sword...and probably why this reply is so long winded.

I took my A122BH in to a local small dealer with a good reputation three weeks prior to the trip to have the wheel bearings repacked. As I was giving "Pop Tart" a bath before her trip to the service center, I noticed the lower right corner of the large window was lifting, and there was a water spot on the bed. I asked the tech if they could repair that while they had the trailer, and was assured it would be no problem.

When I picked up the trailer, two days before my trip, this was what I found:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410597553.609866.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	611.3 KB
ID:	62680Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410597581.139686.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	557.5 KB
ID:	62681Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410597610.286158.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	504.3 KB
ID:	62682

I was shocked! It looked to me like a third grader did the work. I expected a much cleaner look. I brought the trailer back the next day and had a frank discussion with the VP of service about it and she assured me that the "best tech in San Diego" did the work, and that it was very normal for the self-leveling sealer to look like that...and that I was being too "particular" about it. Between this caulking job and the scratches around the window, I feel like they lowered the value of my trailer.

I will be taking it back in after my trip to have them do it over. In the mean time, there have been two other A-Frames in the first CG I was in (Lodgepole), one Flagstaff and one Chalet- both of which had crappy looking repair jobs to the large windows. Am I destined to not achieve a factory-looking repair on this window? I told the service people that perhaps if this had been a skylight on the roof of a C-class motor home, it would be acceptable because no one would see it. However, the windows on A-frames are very visible and part of their character!

Despite my embarrassment over my window, I am having an amazing time! Thanks for listening to my rant!

Justbryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:49 AM   #24

I am 100% with you on this. That much caulking/sealant is not a sign of good work. The stuff is not made to be put on so thickly. And the "best tech" should not waste materials like that.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #25

I have seen a lot of work that looks like yours on other campers. I'm not sure what it is but I don't see the type of caulking application you'd see in a nice bathroom. Maybe it's the product used, this self-leveling stuff.

I think the 3M extreme tape is a great option, looks even and likely does a better job than any caulking.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #26

Many thanks to both of you! I hear a lot about the 3M tape. Might have to eat the $250 they charged me for this crap job and do the tape myself. Can't look any worse...

Justbryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #27

Stick to the dicor 501.
Manypalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #28

had this dicor stuff used on my aframe in on of the many attempts to fix my leaking bubble window... basically it looked like the job they did on your trailer .. which was totally unacceptable .. so i left it at the repair shop .. and they had to redo it ...
dicor i guess is fine on a flat roof . but many who come here ..do not realize the setup of the aframe ...

d-mo