Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2013, 03:38 AM   #61

D-mo:

The hot water was not on. I run on cold water only. (I tested the hot water heater in April just to make sure it worked and turned it off after one day. It hasn't been on since.)

My real concern is the A/C, the stove hinge, the heat pump & of course the formica top.

Thanks,

Jim
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #62

Jim I hope you get the trailer back soon! I would call them every couple days to see what progress they have made in fixing the issues. With the exception of your cabinet, they seem like easy fixes that shouldnt take them long to address once they begin work on it. My stove hinge was flimsy, I noted on the hinge side that the little piano hinge peg was 3/4 sticking out. I pushed it back in place and not so flimsy now. (reminded me of the bathroom door at my office, the peg in the top hinge always seems to work its way up and I have to periodically tap it down or call maintenance to do it)

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #63

Handbuilder:

Thank you for your concern.

I think this forum is tired of reading about my problems and I don't want to bore the forum with any more details. I'll let the forum move on to someone elses posts.

Jim
Old 08-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #64
Flagstaff 22FBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
Handbuilder:

Thank you for your concern.

I think this forum is tired of reading about my problems and I don't want to bore the forum with any more details. I'll let the forum move on to someone elses posts.

Jim
Not really Jim, we are interested in how the "powers that be" handle your Aframe problems and wish only the best outcome for you.

However, I imagine you are exhausted by the whole process.

Owning your Aframe should be a fun experience, not the bummer it has been for you.

We should let you be for now, but please let us know (in a new thread if you wish) the final (successful ) outcome, even if it is later in the year.

May the Force be with you Jim!
Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #65

Thank you Deb for echoing similar thoughts for Jim & his trailer!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #66

The final post on this fiasco. Going on since July 9th, 2013 and ending on Oct. 1, 2013.

A Forest River rep, Mr. Sam Buckles, sent me to a dealer within 15 miles of my home and they fixed all the major problems. (Replacing the formica top and installing a new stove top lid.) They completed the work in 3 days. All the rest of the broken stuff I repaired myself. The camper is finally repaired to my satisfaction and I will see on Oct. 7 as I going to go camping for 10 days and start my shakedown cruise all over again.

WilmingtonRV, located in Wilmington, N.C., the dealer I bought the camper from, fixed nothing, despite all the picture taking nonsense, and who had the camper for almost 4 weeks. Carolina RV, located in Myrtle Beach, S.C. was a tremendous help, as was Mr. Sam Buckles, and even thanked me for bringing my camper in for warranty service. The camper was there 4 days and it was fixed, ahead of the allotted time, and without the picture taking scenario. I would never buy ANYTHING from WilmingtonRV but I would sure do business with Carolina RV.

So, thanks to all who tried to help. I sincerely appreciate it.

jjdcamper
Old 10-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #67

Glad FR came through for you. I still will never understand the poor service attitude from dealers who seem to think service is just a chore not a profit center that can also build customer loyalty. Thanks for reporting back with your experiences. I am glad your camper is whole again.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #68

Seriously consider trading that thing in for something else. You'll always be uneasy wondering 'what next'?
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Seriously consider trading that thing in for something else. You'll always be uneasy wondering 'what next'?
I was thinking the same thing. I only have a few more payments and then it may be time to consider something similar. Although Forest River had deep concerns, it's the dealers that are the cog in the wheel.

Thanks for the advice and your concern,

jjdcamper
Old 10-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #70

jjdcamper

Your patience is commendable, I would not have done as well.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #71

Chapter Umteen in my ongoing saga of this camper:

Fri., Oct. 11, 2013, I returned to my camper around one o'clock in the afternoon to find my camper completely flooded. Fortunately, the folks in the next site saw the water running out of my camper and shut off the main supply.

I opened the cabinet door beneath the sink, and there's the water filter housing sitting on the shelf. The housing split apart about two inches below the threads. Somewhere along the line, the housing must have been cracked, and not by me, as I'm always careful putting things in the cabinet and am very careful not to bump the housing. I suspect it was cracked from the very beginning and just finally broke in half. What a mess! Took me two hours to sop up the water with all the windows and front door wide open, all the doors to the storage compartments underneath wide open and the ceiling fan on high. Turned the heat up to 80 degrees and then looked at the filter housing.

I removed the entire unit, bracket and all, and found the in and out sides of the filter housing were connected by unions. I used one of the unions to connect the two blue hoses, water in and water out, together, and so far it seems to be holding and nice and dry at the connections I made. I don't need the water filter that came with the camper since I installed a Camco water filter unit, connected directly to the camper where the water in fitting is located on the camper, back in May.

Has this ever happened to anybody else or is this part of my "Lemon Camper"? I swear I never bumped that housing and nobody has been under there to work on anything. If the housing broke due to traveling then it should happen to everyone who owns a camper with a clear plastic housing. I can't figure out how it broke unless, like I said, it was cracked all along. I don't see the necessity to report this incident to Forest River as they would probably blame me for breaking it. There's no way to prove when or how the housing cracked.

And while I'm at it, does anyone know how to turn down the temperature on the hot water heater? The water is so hot, I can't put my hands under it.

Well, what's going to break next? Nothing would surprise me anymore despite this camper is a 2013.

Jim
Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
And while I'm at it, does anyone know how to turn down the temperature on the hot water heater? The water is so hot, I can't put my hands under it.
Jim
The manual does not give any advice on changing the setting. It appears the thermostat temperatures are not adjustable.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #73

Just went out and looked mine. The decal on the water heater, say factory set to 130* not adjustable. ......will cause burn.

I think you could beat on the water filter all day and not break it. I bet if you called FR they would send you a new one. I would think it had to be a defect in the plastic.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper
Chapter Umteen in my ongoing saga of this camper:

Well, what's going to break next? Nothing would surprise me anymore despite this camper is a 2013.

Jim
Yes you can buy thermostats from Mfg or dealers with a higher or lower settings I think 110 is the lowest. Give service a call.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
Just went out and looked mine. The decal on the water heater, say factory set to 130* not adjustable. ......will cause burn.

I think you could beat on the water filter all day and not break it. I bet if you called FR they would send you a new one. I would think it had to be a defect in the plastic.
I think the same as you. It had to be defective from the git go. That housing is pretty thick and would take more than a bump to snap it in half. And it broke below the threaded portion, which would be the weakest part of the housing. I should post a picture of it for all to see.

But on the bright side: Without that housing in there, it gives me more storage room in the cabinet. I do not plan on replacing it. I'll go with the outside Camco filter and give myself more storage, which is at a premium in these A-Frames. I may tape the two hoses to the wall to keep them from moving about while the camper is being towed.

Jim