Old 07-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #1

Formica Top and Trim Coming Loose

I Don't know if I'm posting in the right place but I couldn't find a spot to post my question.

On my third trip with my 2013 Flagstaff T12RB, when I opened the camper up, I noticed that the formica top and the trim around the top of the cabinet that houses the microwave oven have come loose. The formica is de-laminating and has buckled. Has anyone else had this problem? It's not happening to anywhere else that has formica or trim work around the top. Just the one cabinet.

The dealer has been notified, pictures of the damage have been emailed to him, and apparently he is going to order the parts and get the problem resolved.

(Sorry if I posted in the wrong place.)

Jim
jjdcamper@gmail.com

Old 07-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #2

By chance are you covering with a Blue tarp????? If so may be traped moisture.

2013 days camped 16
wayne in florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #3

Wayne:

No, it's never been covered with anything. Appears to be poor workmanship as the dinette table and sink and stove countertops are made of the same formica and trim, and they are fine.

Jim
Old 07-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #4

Our countertop around the sink is showing signs of something bad going on, just more cheap crap from the factory.
I will eventually take the countertop off and take it to a place that can make up a Corian duplicate.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #5

Jim
Just a shot.... Lots do use the trrps and wonder why they have mold and bugs.
So True on the workmanship
2013 days camped 16
wayne in florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #6

And now problem #2. The air conditioner won't shut off, is blowing slightly cool air, and won't switch over to heat pump. In other words, the whole unit is malfunctioning. It's a Dometic unit, which I never had any trouble with Dometic products in other campers I've had. The camper is a 2013 Flagstaff T12RB - A Frame hard sided. I pulled the filter out and it's not the least bit clogged. (This is only my third trip with this camper.) I tried shutting the unit off, waiting ten minutes and then turning it back on. Same results. That's why I tried turning on the heat pump to see if the unit would switch over. I'm on shore power so it's not my batteries.

Anyone have similar experiences to the ones I described? Should I try shutting off the main breaker to the shore power and turning it back on to try and reset everything?

MODERATOR(s): Can you transfer this entire post to the A Frame-Hard sided Forum? I think I'm posting in the wrong place.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 07-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #7

I would certainly try cycling the breaker. Leave it for at least 5 minutes to allow the controls to fully reset.

Mine has had no issues like that, but I have the analog thermostat. I suspect a thermostat issue here and the power cycle should help.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #8

Jeep4Two:

I turned the main breaker off at the park supply, waited about 30 minutes and turned it back on. The unit started blowing colder air but not as cold as before and it still won't shut off. I suspect the thermostat also. I left it running about 3 hours and now the vent on the outside is heating up and blowing hot air out. I shut the unit down completely and now I'm depending on the ceiling/exhaust fan to try and move some air around inside the camper. I'm hoping the dealer calls me tomorrow with an answer. I have 4 days left to go on this trip and the forecast is for the mid 90's all week. Ugh!

Thanks for your help.

Jim
Old 07-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #9

Bummer. Was hoping a reset might take care of it. The thermostat is only half the equation in these cool cat units. There is a control box that the thermostat connects to so that may be the problem.

Here's to cooler weather until you can get back to the dealer.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #10

Jeep4Two:
Does anyone from Forest River/Flagstaff/Rockwood monitor the forums on this site? I have more problems than the ones I listed on this site and it would be nice if those guys monitored the comments here and offered help or suggestions. They could also use the consumer information in future design changes, such as outlet placement. If this many major things are going wrong with a brand new camper, what do we have to look forward to in 3 or 4 years? If Forest River isn't monitoring this forum, perhaps the moderators should forward all Forest River related comments on to them. I'm at the point that if one more major problem arises I'm going to ask for a new camper.
Jim