Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #1

FR Rockwood A122BH - Satellite Radio and Broken Bungee

We just took our FR RP A122BH out for the first time. We loved it. It's our first camper, and we're super stoked. We didn't want something big, but we wanted a ready to go camper with some amenities that were conducive for our climate and active lifestyle. This rig is perfect. It's easy to go, easy to maneuver, and more than enough comfort when we aren't backpacking. It's also going to keep us warm, some flurries today in our town, and offer some protection from bears, etc.

Our only issue on our first outing... the dealer didn't warn us about winds. The a-frame blew past it's upward "A" shape in the high winds. When we pulled it back together one of the bungee's broke. There are two bungee's on each side. From what I can tell, it wraps into a riveted joint and also uses some type of glue to secure it. It doesn't look like something I could fix but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this issue. My dealer will take care of it, but he's 4.5 hours away or about $160 in gas plus time. Any thoughts?

Does anyone have satellite radio on their a-frame? My stereo is in the cabinet just to the left as you open the door. I already want satellite radio, but I wasn't sure where you place an antenna on an a frame. Maybe get an antenna with an extra long cord so the a-frame can expand without pulling on the cord? Maybe just have the antenna loose on a long cord and run it out the door to the top every time? If you have it installed on one side or the other before it pops up, I'd imagine you wouldn't have reception consistently.
"But one also finds in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to want to bring the strong down to their level, and which reduces men to preferring equality in servitude to inequality in freedom"- Alexis deTocqueville
kavorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #2

Sorry to hear that! How fast were the winds that day? That's something I worry a bit about myself!
Old 05-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #3

I use a SkyFi old xm receiver and a home adaptor with a c crane fm transmitter. Antenna is placed where reception is best.
Its Cute but......
Total (2104-2017) 319 2018 (59)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #4

The wind gusts we're only supposed to be as high as 35mph in town, but on the range at the time I think they were more like 50mph. It seems like it would be common sense to worry about that, but since it was never mentioned by the dealer at all we didn't think about it. I think if I had been prepared by holding more firmly and ready we would have been fine. However, I'm a tall and large. I'm not sure a shorter individual would have had the leverage. Lesson learned, and warning to others. Regardless, it's still under warranty and it will get fixed.
"But one also finds in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to want to bring the strong down to their level, and which reduces men to preferring equality in servitude to inequality in freedom"- Alexis deTocqueville
Old 05-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dts3204 View Post
I use a SkyFi old xm receiver and a home adaptor with a c crane fm transmitter. Antenna is placed where reception is best.
That's a great option, but I'd love to streamline everything by having it direct connected to the radio. I still have an old boom box type, but batteries, space and such are a pain.

I was thinking I might be able to run the antenna to the front of the hitch area through the same way the electrical wires are run to the battery. If it's a magnetic antenna, I can just hopefully move it from one side or the other for reception. Someone might have a better setup though. ??
Old 05-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #6

I have also taken an FM transmitter I had for an auto and plug it in to a 12 VDC adapter in my trailer and transmit that way antenna is an inside one but since I use the auto adapter you could use the auto antenna. I also have the Boombox. Yeah I was heavy into XM, also have order a 12 VDC adapter for that also. This Last is just FYI for you.
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #7

Thanks, dts. All knowledge is good.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #8

Something to think about when setting up in windy conditions is to move your unit to a sheltered area, if there is one , put it up there and gently drive it to the targeted campsite ..this will prevent this from happen again. As for the bungees, im not sure how to replace but i have read people have done this with their A-liners, they are basically the same system.

d-mo
Old 05-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #9

This may be something of interest in high wind conditions.-http://www.aframewindkits.com/
Kenny M. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122, a122bh, radio, rockwood, satellite