Old 09-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #1

Fridge on the fritz

Like to get my 2011 A122 fridge nice and cold before loading in the grub so I plug in the trailer and hit the 120vdc switch. Usually it gets cold in a short time, but today I got nuttin. I switched to 12vdc and the fridge started to operate. I checked for voltage at the outlet that the fridge is connected to and got no voltage. I checked all of the other outlets...no voltage. Checked the breakers...good. Checked the one and only GFI outlet and found it popped. Reset same and everything is now good to go, including the fridge.

I did not know the fridge is protected by the GFI outlet, and I figured some of you may not know it either.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleworks View Post
Like to get my 2011 A122 fridge nice and cold before loading in the grub so I plug in the trailer and hit the 120vdc switch. Usually it gets cold in a short time, but today I got nuttin. I switched to 12vdc and the fridge started to operate. I checked for voltage at the outlet that the fridge is connected to and got no voltage. I checked all of the other outlets...no voltage. Checked the breakers...good. Checked the one and only GFI outlet and found it popped. Reset same and everything is now good to go, including the fridge.

I did not know the fridge is protected by the GFI outlet, and I figured some of you may not know it either.
Ground Fault Current Interupters are normally required where people occupy the space and the risk is higher than normal for someone to be shocked by a electrical circuit due fault to excess grounding potential, normally water. These circuits are used in bathrooms, ie tubs and showers, kitchens, near the sink and outdoor outlets. Many folks blame these GFCI outlets for trouble in more areas than they really exist. A common refrig in a home is not GFCI protected nor would it be in a RV. Having said all that, the designer may have figured all the other nearby outlets must be protected therefore add the frig instead of running separate line just for one outlet.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #3

The above is true. A fridge wouldn't not
Ally be required to be on a GFCI.

However in an RV as small as our AFrames I would imagine the ease of running a single circuit trumps the lack of actual need.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #4

I didn't want to get all technical about it...just wanted other owners to know to check the GFCI if their fridge quits working.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Now the next question..............
Why did the Gfci trip ?
Turbs
Old 09-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #6

I found the Gfci tripped prior to our latest 5 day journey. After a reset, the outlet (and fridge) was ok for the entire time.