Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 12:41 AM   #1

Fun with the water system

I'm the new owner of a used 2012 A128. I've been on one 2-day campout with it so far, but sour weather keeps spoiling my plans for a second outing. So while waiting for good weekend weather, I decided to clean and flush my water system. Who knows how old the water in my system was?

So the first thing I do is open the drain on the main water tank. Then I pull the two low-point valves. Then half-way crack both hot and cold faucets on the sink and on the shower.

Next, after figuring out that I needed a 1-1/16" socket for the anode rod, I drain the hot water heater. In that process, I cracked open the pressure relief valve. The anode rod was indeed past 75% consumed. I stuck my hose with jet nozzle into the anode rod hole and squirted around in there. All kinds of white calcium and I suppose magnesium crystals came pouring out of the water heater. I kept jetting water into there until it mostly ran clear. Then I replaced with a new anode rod and closed the pressure relief valve.

So the trailer has been sitting thus drained for about two weeks. Bad weather is forecast again for this weekend, but I'm still planning to go on Saturday after the weather event is supposed to start leaving the state.

I'm a boondocker so I set out to refill the water system. After switching the water heater valves to bypass (I don't need hot water) I refilled the tank and turned on the water pump. I hear the water pump chug a few times then stop. The water system must be pressurized. So I turn on the faucets, nothing. Scratch head. I go outside and turn on the shower. Twist this way and that, switch the head valve both ways. No water. Scratch head.

What's going on? What am I missing? So now for the first time I plug my hose into the city water connection and turn on the hose. Still no water from sink faucets nor from the shower. Scratch head.

So now I go to the low-point drain valves. Pull each one and water flows! So this proves that my plumbing is indeed pressurized. But why won't water come from the taps? Scratch head. Unhook city water connection. Pump is still switched on. Open low-point drain valves. Water flows out of the bottom of the trailer, and pump runs until the valves are closed. No water from either tap. Scratch head.

Finally I decide to unscrew the shower head from the shower hose. Water flows! Water is controllable from the faucets! Aha! I take the shower head inside and flush it in the house sink. Put it back onto the trailer and now water does all that it is supposed to do from the shower! Now we're getting somewhere.

I go back to the sink and verify that it still does not flow water. I remove the aerator and water flows! Flush aerator components under the now running sink. Reassemble aerator. Now the sink faucet is finally doing what IT is supposed to do.

So what happened? When I flushed the hot water heater, some of that white crystalline junk made it into the plumbing and clogged up my taps. I learned a bit about my plumbing system today

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #2

LOL! Great story.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #3

LOL good deal you are back in business. I boondock also and with the solar system I put in it is like being connected to shore power where ever I boondock now. You might want to check into putting yourself a solar system and battery bank and inverter in, you will love the convienance it gives you while boondocking. Happy camping and I'm doing the same as you in waiting on the weather to clear up, its flooded everywhere around here in East Texas. Guess I might just have to camp in the pasture. LOL
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #4

Mud Yapster,
Concerning solar, please see my introductory message!

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #5

More fun to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM-AZ View Post
I'm the new owner of a used 2012 A128. I've been on one 2-day campout with it so far, but sour weather keeps spoiling my plans for a second outing. So while waiting for good weekend weather, I decided to clean and flush my water system. Who knows how old the water in my system was?

So the first thing I do is open the drain on the main water tank. Then I pull the two low-point valves. Then half-way crack both hot and cold faucets on the sink and on the shower.

Next, after figuring out that I needed a 1-1/16" socket for the anode rod, I drain the hot water heater. In that process, I cracked open the pressure relief valve. The anode rod was indeed past 75% consumed. I stuck my hose with jet nozzle into the anode rod hole and squirted around in there. All kinds of white calcium and I suppose magnesium crystals came pouring out of the water heater. I kept jetting water into there until it mostly ran clear. Then I replaced with a new anode rod and closed the pressure relief valve.

So the trailer has been sitting thus drained for about two weeks. Bad weather is forecast again for this weekend, but I'm still planning to go on Saturday after the weather event is supposed to start leaving the state.

I'm a boondocker so I set out to refill the water system. After switching the water heater valves to bypass (I don't need hot water) I refilled the tank and turned on the water pump. I hear the water pump chug a few times then stop. The water system must be pressurized. So I turn on the faucets, nothing. Scratch head. I go outside and turn on the shower. Twist this way and that, switch the head valve both ways. No water. Scratch head.

What's going on? What am I missing? So now for the first time I plug my hose into the city water connection and turn on the hose. Still no water from sink faucets nor from the shower. Scratch head.

So now I go to the low-point drain valves. Pull each one and water flows! So this proves that my plumbing is indeed pressurized. But why won't water come from the taps? Scratch head. Unhook city water connection. Pump is still switched on. Open low-point drain valves. Water flows out of the bottom of the trailer, and pump runs until the valves are closed. No water from either tap. Scratch head.

Finally I decide to unscrew the shower head from the shower hose. Water flows! Water is controllable from the faucets! Aha! I take the shower head inside and flush it in the house sink. Put it back onto the trailer and now water does all that it is supposed to do from the shower! Now we're getting somewhere.

I go back to the sink and verify that it still does not flow water. I remove the aerator and water flows! Flush aerator components under the now running sink. Reassemble aerator. Now the sink faucet is finally doing what IT is supposed to do.

So what happened? When I flushed the hot water heater, some of that white crystalline junk made it into the plumbing and clogged up my taps. I learned a bit about my plumbing system today
I had a similar experience in my Georgetown 373. After going down the road more gunk settled in the faucet heads and I had to clean everything out again. Keep your wrenches handy and keep smiling��
Blackcloud7999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud7999 View Post
Keep your wrenches handy and keep smiling
Word to live by. Welcome to the forum.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water