Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 56
Furnace Blower on A122

I took delivery of my A122 yesterday and spent the night in it. it was in the mid 30's so I had the furnace on (no 30 amp plug at home and adapter is not in yet so no shorepower).

The only "issue" I really had was boy is that blower startling when it cycles over night. Is there any way to quiet it down a bit, or change the speed? I found that it woke me up just about every time it kicked on.

I read some people mentioned leaving the fan on, but i assume they are talking about the heatpump fan while on shore power? Is this correct?
__________________

__________________
loki008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
I wired a switch to the fan motor and run it continuously when I use it and the furnace burner just cycles. HOWEVER, I am plugged into shore power when I do this. I don't think your battery would last if not plugged into shore power.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Mostly Harmless
 
thehamguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 835
Furnace Blower on A122

I don't know of a way to slow the blower on our A frames. I think it could be bad for the heat exchanger if we did slow the fans, because heat exchangers need a certain minimum amount of air flow to keep them from overheating and cracking. But I agree the fan noise is significant in the small space. I try to imagine the sound as reassuring so I can sleep through it. I used to live half a block from railroad tracks so I should be able to do that, but it takes some getting used to for sure.

P.S. Interesting you didn't mention the new furnace smell. Most new owners complain about it until it burns off. Your dealer must have taken care of it during prep.
__________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lee, WU0V, and Courtenay, N0ZDT
2011 Rockwood A128
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
I don't know of a way to slow the blower on our A frames. I think it could be bad for the heat exchanger if we did slow the fans, because heat exchangers need a certain minimum amount of air flow to keep them from overheating and cracking. But I agree the fan noise is significant in the small space. I try to imagine the sound as reassuring so I can sleep through it. I used to live half a block from railroad tracks so I should be able to do that, but it takes some getting used to for sure.

P.S. Interesting you didn't mention the new furnace smell. Most new owners complain about it until it burns off. Your dealer must have taken care of it during prep.
There was a little, but it the dealer did run it during the prep. I was expecting it and had the vent open when i first fired it up.
__________________
loki008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
ko777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 525
Furnace Blower on A122

Ditto...it still wakes me up even after 60 plus nights camping...I sleep on the front bed of my A128S which is on top of the blower but I don't mind hearing the heater kicking in and letting me know the thing is working fine....

FYI...the blower still blows even when the propane tank gets empty, this happen to me in one of those cold nights at 5am...it got cold fast, this time the noise did not wake me up but the temperature did...lol
__________________
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
Ditto...it still wakes me up even after 60 plus nights camping...I sleep on the front bed of my A128S which is on top of the blower but I don't mind hearing the heater kicking in and letting me know the thing is working fine....

FYI...the blower still blows even when the propane tank gets empty, this happen to me in one of those cold nights at 5am...it got cold fast, this time the noise did not wake me up but the temperature did...lol
The fan, unless it has a switch on it, should shut off when the combustion chamber cools off. I think you have something amiss in the wiring.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
ko777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 525
Furnace Blower on A122

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The fan, unless it has a switch on it, should shut off when the combustion chamber cools off. I think you have something amiss in the wiring.

It kicks in and shut off after a few minutes...I'm not sure when it does it again because of the thermostat reading...I'll test this out by turning off the gas line...I'm uncovering my rig today...hopefully no surprises inside. I could test my furnace since it is still cold here.
__________________
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:51 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
MinneweeseMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 104
We just uncovered our 2014 A122 yesterday and the fan turned on for about 2-3 minutes as soon I reconnected the battery. It stayed on while I cycled through all the options on the thermostat control. I finally just left it in the off position while I went to look this issue up online. I was just about to walk in the house, my wife yelled, "Hey, it just shut off."

I went back and all was good. It did seem like it took a bit to return to full heat but after all it was only 35 degrees and had not run for 5 months.
__________________
Mark and Dawn
Michigan
2014 a122s
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
Our YouTube Channel
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,729
The furnaces in our AFrames have what is know as a "sail" switch that detects if the fan is blowing a sufficient volume of air for the furnace to operate safely. Any attempt to quite the blower by slowing down the airflow is likely to result in failure of the furnace to work at all.

All I can say is that if the noise continues to bother you, like it does many of us, some alternatives are, a warmer sleeping bag, a catalytic heater or earplugs.
__________________
Tom

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Grand Juncction, CO
Posts: 35
Re slowing speed down!

The fan moto has 2 fans on it. One, of course it to circulate air. The other provides air movement through the flue and removes the products of combustion. Thus, slowing the fan down is not a good idea as the furnace could be damaged due to incomplete combustion. My take.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________

__________________
2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 crew cab 4X4 V6 TRD
2014 Flagstaff T12RB
bobrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
a122, furnace

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.