Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #1

Furnace working properly? I'm not sure!

I have a question regarding my furnace. The dealer service department is useless. They just tell you what you want to hear.

The other day we were out camping in our new A-frame. It is only my third time using the new camper. It was a little chilly, so we decided to use the heat. I was connected to electricity on a 30 amp circuit. First I put on the heat pump. It seems to work pretty good. We then got ready for bed So we decided to use the furnace instead of the heat pump so be as noisy. I switched from heat pump furnace. When the furnace came on, the cool cat unit also started blowing air. They seem to both be running at the same time. I'm not sure if this is the way it should operate. I tried a few different things. I turned everything off for about five minutes and then put the furnace back on. The heat pump kicked on as well the second time. It was not blowing hot air, it was just on blowing air with the fan. Can anyone tell me if this is the proper operation? It doesn't seem like it should work that way. I was able to get it to stop by turning off the circuit to the cool cat. It was a workaround but I'm not sure I want to keep doing that.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks everyone for your help.
proskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #2

I seem to recall other threads that mentioned this. My 2011 A126 doesn't do it. Furnace mode results in furnace only.

I'm wondering if maybe the factory is having the cool cat fan run to better circulate the heat from the furnace. If not they must be making a wiring mistake in the thermostat on a regular basis.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Check the setting for the fan on the thermostat...it should be set on 'Auto' not the 'On' position. The fan controls on the thermostat (Auto/On, Hi/Low) work the fan on the AC unit not the propane furnace.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #4

Thanks Dave_Monica. I checked the setting. It was on LOW. I changed it to AUTO but was not able to check it yet. Seems logical. I will post my findings when I can plug the unit in. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Check the setting for the fan on the thermostat...it should be set on 'Auto' not the 'On' position. The fan controls on the thermostat (Auto/On, Hi/Low) work the fan on the AC unit not the propane furnace.

Dave
Not on A frames with the Cool Cat. The same thermostat controls cooling and heating with both the heat pump and the furnace.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #6

OK. All is well. The setting was changed to "AUTO" on the fan setting and that fixed the problem. Thanks for your help! The CoolCat no longer comes on when the furnace comes on.

Tags
furnace