Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Gap in corner where roof panels meet

I just wanted to get some thoughts from some A-framers on this one.

I have about a 1/2" gap between the two roof panels on the "shower side" of the camper. The gap is above where the gaskets meet at the apex. I noticed this when inspecting the interior after rinsing off pollen. A little bit of water (maybe a dozen drops) had penetrated above the gasket because of this gap. The roof panels on the doorside are pretty snug and I had no water penetration. I guess all of the clearance went to one side during the installation of the roof panels leaving a noticeable gap. Has anyone else noticed this with their unit.? I am wondering how it would fare in a good rainstorm or if the wasps might find it appealing. I installed a small piece of gasket to fill the void but I have reservations on how well it will hold with repeated opening and closing. Any thoughts?

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Mostly Harmless

I think you're referring to water entering the overlap between the side flanges (for lack of a better term) of the two roof sections. On my unit there's a short piece of white rubber or vinyl gasket material in the shape of a half-round that sits in the overlap between the two side flanges when the camper is set up. It's stuck onto the inside of the wider flange (the one on the forward roof). There's one on both sides of the camper. It's about 3 or 4" long and a quarter inch wide. Its purpose is to deflect downward any water that gets into the overlap area. [It's frustrating not being able to explain better where the location is. In my avatar photo, the location is almost exactly where my ham radio antenna is mounted, at the peak. Maybe I can take a photo tomorrow and post it before we take off.] Anyway, if yours doesn't have those gaskets it's an oversight your dealer can fix. We all need to check those places frequently, though, because as you say the setups and takedowns will take their toll eventually. I had to reglue one of them last summer.

If I've misunderstood where you meant, someone will have a better answer.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
I think you're referring to water entering the overlap between the side flanges (for lack of a better term) of the two roof sections. On my unit there's a short piece of white rubber or vinyl gasket material in the shape of a half-round that sits in the overlap between the two side flanges when the camper is set up. It's stuck onto the inside of the wider flange (the one on the forward roof). There's one on both sides of the camper. It's about 3 or 4" long and a quarter inch wide. Its purpose is to deflect downward any water that gets into the overlap area. [It's frustrating not being able to explain better where the location is. In my avatar photo, the location is almost exactly where my ham radio antenna is mounted, at the peak. Maybe I can take a photo tomorrow and post it before we take off.] Anyway, if yours doesn't have those gaskets it's an oversight your dealer can fix. We all need to check those places frequently, though, because as you say the setups and takedowns will take their toll eventually. I had to reglue one of them last summer.

If I've misunderstood where you meant, someone will have a better answer.
Thanks Lee...that is precisely what I'm referring to. Your explanation sheds some light on the matter...I do appreciate it. If you can get me a picture before you leave than great...BUT...it can definitely wait until after your trip this weekend..(I would never get in the way of a man's 1st outing of the season.lol). I have fashioned a piece of rubber weatherseal for the short term and it is supposed to be bone dry for our camping this weekend so we shall survive. I was really scratching my head about it though. I'll just add it to my list. Thanks again for the help troubleshooting.

LM
Old 03-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #4

These units are pretty darn airtight when set up. We have noted that if the fantastic fan is on low , will all the windows closed it runs much faster as it cannot suck enough air out of the trailer. Once a window is open, the fan slows to its origional specs .. and pushes out the air.
If this does not apply to your trailer, then there are air leak issues, which maybe due to misplaced seals like hamguy says.
hope this helps ...

d-mo
Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Mostly Harmless

I'll post a photo or two when we get back. Because of their location you can only see those gaskets when the roof is partway up, so I'll try to get a shot when either setting up or closing down.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 03-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
I'll post a photo or two when we get back. Because of their location you can only see those gaskets when the roof is partway up, so I'll try to get a shot when either setting up or closing down.
Sounds good...have a great trip!

LM
Old 03-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
These units are pretty darn airtight when set up. We have noted that if the fantastic fan is on low , will all the windows closed it runs much faster as it cannot suck enough air out of the trailer. Once a window is open, the fan slows to its origional specs .. and pushes out the air.
If this does not apply to your trailer, then there are air leak issues, which maybe due to misplaced seals like hamguy says.
hope this helps ...

d-mo
Yes, I noticed my fan doing the same. I have been tweaking a lot of the seals to get them just right and this roof overlap on the one side was the only one that left me puzzled. The u-shaped gasket makes sense...maybe my unit never had it or they scavenged it for another unit. In any event, I fashioned a piece that will work until I take it in for warranty at the end of the season.

LM
Old 04-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
Mostly Harmless

Here's the pic I promised. It shows the white strip (held on with a dirty strip of double-stick tape) and the plastic clip that wraps around the end of the flange. I discovered there isn't a white strip on both sides, only on the door side. Either I've lost the other one or I never had it. On mine the gap at the overlap is wider on the door side, so maybe they only needed one strip to seal it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3328260403.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	11562  
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Here's the pic I promised. It shows the white strip (held on with a dirty strip of double-stick tape) and the plastic clip that wraps around the end of the flange. I discovered there isn't a white strip on both sides, only on the door side. Either I've lost the other one or I never had it. On mine the gap at the overlap is wider on the door side, so maybe they only needed one strip to seal it.
Thanks Lee. I can use this pic to illustrate my issue when I take it in for warranty work. I had affixed my makeshift gasket to the "rear" or inner roof overhang but yours looks much more efficient being attached to the outer panel. Thanks again for the troubleshooting help!

LM