Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #1

Garage storage?

Looking into my garage I have to make a left turn to get into my space where the A-Frame will go. I can put it in back first if it is 17"1". If I put it in tongue first I can fit one that is 18' plus because of my built in shelving.

My question is it more difficult to push it in backwards or push it in tongue first. There is a 2" lip (up) going into garage from the concrete driveway. If I go in tongue first I should be able to get one with the storage rack in the front.

What do you think?
gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Mostly Harmless

Won't you have to unhitch to put it in tongue first? If so then I would think the 2" lip would be too much of an obstacle for the tongue wheel to get up over, what with all the weight on it. Maybe with a tongue dolly? D-mo installed an electric winch to pull his A frame into the garage. He posted pics a bit over a year ago.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
Looking into my garage I have to make a left turn to get into my space where the A-Frame will go. I can put it in back first if it is 17"1". If I put it in tongue first I can fit one that is 18' plus because of my built in shelving.

My question is it more difficult to push it in backwards or push it in tongue first. There is a 2" lip (up) going into garage from the concrete driveway. If I go in tongue first I should be able to get one with the storage rack in the front.

What do you think?
Since you can either push or back it in I would look at where your entry door and other access panels that you might need to get into when it is in the garage will be located after it is in the garage.

All things being equal, I have always found it easier to pull something up a lip than push it.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Since you can either push or back it in I would look at where your entry door and other access panels that you might need to get into when it is in the garage will be located after it is in the garage.

All things being equal, I have always found it easier to pull something up a lip than push it.
I was thinking that pulling on the tongue would be easier also. When I go to the dealer this coming Saturday I'll try to pick up the tongue up to see if I can lift the front wheel up over the lip. If I can't I think I could get some help.

Hopefully I will have the funds for it by the end of June.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #5

I tried pushing mine into the garage. Doable. but mostly for a younger person.

So I bought a manual tow dolly for $99. Works great, but still it takes a bit of power to get trailer started moving because there is a slight grade up into my garage.

There are powered dollys too, in the $300 range.
neil.ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.ervin View Post
I tried pushing mine into the garage. Doable. but mostly for a younger person.

So I bought a manual tow dolly for $99. Works great, but still it takes a bit of power to get trailer started moving because there is a slight grade up into my garage.

There are powered dollys too, in the $300 range.
We also push ours into the garage using the dolly. Hubby steers and I push from the front. It takes two of us but we have only a small lip of the garage to go over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2939192179.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	30883
K1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

I'd start by finding someone with a table saw that can rip a 2x4 corner to corner in a length that is a little wider than the camper tire track. See if that 2x4 'ramp' will allow you to push it in the way you like hitch first. I'd think with someone pushing and one pulling that would get up the 2" rise.

You won't be able to lift the tongue, it will be well over 300lbs with tanks and battery.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #8

I have a basement that has a block wall at the far end where I could drill a 1/2" hole through a block and attach a thick "I" bolt through the block. Then I could attach a medium size block & tackle (which I have) to the "I" bolt and attach the other "block" to the hitch & pull the rope end under the A-Frame and attach the rope to my 4X4 ATV and pull it in with it. I think this would work just fine. I hope. Might need the angled wood for the hitch wheel though. The tires should role right up on to the "lip" into the garage.

PS: I hope I don't pull the basement wall out!!!!!!!!
When there is a will there is a way.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
I have a basement that has a block wall at the far end where I could drill a 1/2" hole through a block and attach a thick "I" bolt through the block. Then I could attach a medium size block & tackle (which I have) to the "I" bolt and attach the other "block" to the hitch & pull the rope end under the A-Frame and attach the rope to my 4X4 ATV and pull it in with it. I think this would work just fine. I hope.
I hope so also, but it sounds like a lot of coordination and commutation is necessary as it sounds like at least a two person job from what you described.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #10

how about installing a folding tongue on you trailer like my boat had ? park trailer in it's spot pull the pin fold the tongue .now it fit
Old 05-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #11

I though about a folding tongue, but going under the lowest shelf I get a total of 21 feet. If I get my son to help me we may be able to just push it in with his mother guiding the hitch. He is a body builder and can bench press 450 lbs.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #12

I pull mine into the garage with my riding lawn mower using the trailer safety chains. Once on the level garage floor the trailer moves easily.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpickerington View Post
I pull mine into the garage with my riding lawn mower using the trailer safety chains. Once on the level garage floor the trailer moves easily.
This is the best idea yet for my situation. Thanks Dave.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Might be interesting to try to put it in nose first, using a lever to raise and move the tongue wheel over the hump. Once the wheel is over the hump it should roll easily. If it works it should take all of 10 seconds.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #15

Being in canada .. and wanting to escape to the south .. in Feb/march .. i have sunk a 12 volt winch into the back of of garage floor . This allows me to winch in the the Aframe ... in any conditions .. most likely snow .. once we come back ..
i can forward you the link .. if you wish ... it cost about 299 bucks including the winch ... and the tow tags ... which are hooked onto the 000 frame lopes ...

d-mo
Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #16

Uh I have become a little redneck but if you don't have too much slope on the driveway can't you put a ball on your ATV or riding mower & pull it in at least most of the way...... I pull my smaller trailers around the yard with a lawn tractor that way all the time

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #17

Anyone use a trailer dolly? Was thinking of buying one from Northern Tool, have one on sale this week. Was thinking of using it to tweak the exact position in my drive way instead of backing up, pulling fwd... I am new at parking and pulling a trailer.
Jsusluvsyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #18

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ame-16736.html
Old 05-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #19

Bought the trailer dolly just tried it and the trailer didn't budge. Thought it was going to be easy. My driveway is pretty flat, maybe a slight incline.
Jsusluvsyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #20
Mostly Harmless

Just brainstorming here, hoping I can stumble on something to help. When you put the dolly in the hitch coupler and pull down the Dolly's handle a bit, does it lift the tongue jack off the ground? I think it should, though I don't have that dolly.

This is farther out, but is it possible your trailer brakes are locked on? If, for example, the pin has been accidentally pulled out of the breakaway switch, the brakes will be fully on and will stay that way until the pin is reinstalled or the battery dies. On my unit, I can hear the electromagnets inside the brake drums humming when the brakes are on, so giving a listen up close to one of the wheels should tell you the answer there.

I hope by now you've already figured out the problem. If not, someone will be along with the answer. You're right that it should be easy to roll the trailer with the dolly on a nearly level surface once you've overcome inertia.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote