Old 09-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #11

I'm very glad to find you here,I tried to join the aframe group on facebook to view your article two months ago and still waiting for a reply. Yes please,I would like to see all your info. Like to add the gas springs to my 2013 t12rb. thank you

Old 09-04-2016, 12:00 AM   #12

Installing A-Frame and Aliner Gas Springs

Hi Judielle,

Thanks for writing. What is a 2013 t12rb? Could you send a link or a photo?

I sent the article in another reply. Let me know if you received it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDF - Adding A-Frame Gas Springs.pdf (3.24 MB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf 2015 Gas Struts for Lifting Avan Roofs - revised.pdf (322.0 KB, 28 views)

Old 09-04-2016, 12:16 AM   #13

Here is the Article on Adding Gas Springs to an A-Frame Trailer

Here is the article. If you need considerable uplift help I think it best to use longer springs than I did and keep the force down to 20, 30 or 40 pound springs. They are reportedly 25% above that when compressed.

I could have been happy with 4 each 30 pound springs but only trial and error will tell you what works best. The greater the force the more effort required to close the trailer. These springs keep pushing all the way up and don't give out as do the huge original springs at the end of their travel.

This is a new concept and you will need to take some risks as is the case for trying anything new. I was willing to do this because replacing the giant internal springs is not something I would choose to do every 5 years when I could swap these out in less than 5 minutes and for a lot less money!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDF - Adding A-Frame Gas Springs.pdf (3.24 MB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf 2015 Gas Struts for Lifting Avan Roofs - revised.pdf (322.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #14

Thank you so much for all your information. Sorry for my delay in replying. One more question,Flagstaff suggested two struts on the side opposite the door, your info seems to suggest four struts, four does sound better. Couple of photos attached, its a Flagstaff Classic,similar to an Aliner, and our camping dog. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0068.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	461.2 KB
ID:	119593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0023.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	568.0 KB
ID:	119594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0042.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	119595  
Old 09-07-2016, 01:19 AM   #15

I had to start from scratch without any help from anyone. I hope my findings and the original article from the concept founder in Australia put you further ahead.

Using more gas springs means lower force springs can be used with each one. When compressed I understand the force goes up 25%. The indicated force is apparently at the end of the travel. I would go with four each 30 pound springs in mine if it wasn't for the refrigerator in the way of the 4th.

If your roof is getting really heavy to lift I would likely recommend using longer springs to get a bigger moment arm instead of higher force springs. This would also place the load closer to where the internal springs originally provided sufficient force to lift the roof panels.

The only concern I have heard about is the impact of the upper pivot ball to the roof panel area with high force gas springs. Flagstaff seems to see no need to reinforce the outer wall area where the lower pivot ball is mounted to obtain maximum torque with low-force gas springs.

Whatever you come up with please send me your findings and conclusions, especially when road tested. This is still a new concept and the feedback from the factory installations is just coming in. Sounds like using the lowest force gas spring is the key to success. This could mean using longer springs at the maximum distance from the pivot end.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #16

Sounds a little complicated to me..

My a122 was built in October of 2010, and i have had zero problems with lifting the roof.
I lube the sidewall runners each year...and ensure the mid pads on the overlap roof section are also lubed.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #17

I would like to add that I have continued to work toward finding the optimum solution for adding gas springs to an A-Frame trailer.

Here is the link to the latest version of "Adding Gas Springs to an A-Frame Trailer - November 2016". Since this can't be included on this forum, it can be found at another site you can peruse at:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/A-FrameTeam/files

This and other ideas I (and hopefully others) have come up with are being added to that site for your benefit. These are mainly solutions to issues where the information on the web is lacking. Hope this helps. Join the team at that site if you are so inclined and upload your contributions for others to peruse.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #18

How Do You Delete or Change a Prior Post?

I can't seem to remove prior posts or attachments.

I only want the most recent article with the most recent developments on how to add gas springs to your A-Frame posted on this site.

Until I can delete superceded versions it appears that I need to discontinue using this site.

For now I recommend that anybody interested in using a more functional site go to the Yahoo Group (and join if you like) called "A-FrameTeam" where I will keep the most current information available and delete superceded information.

So please ignore all my uploaded posts on this site since better solutions have been developed with the help of a team effort.

This site seems to be not set up to remove a post so I certainly need to discontinue using it for sharing any documents and realize any updated information seems to be locked in stone!

NOT GOOD!

Tags
gas, roo, roof