Old 07-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #1

Gas spring roof raising helper

HI here is part of an article written by Brian Hovander on a frame club un facebook about help raising roof panel in older aframe camper
"Adding Gas Springs to an A-Frame Trailer
Section I: The Long-Standing Problem of Lifting A-Frame Trailer Roof Panels
As our Aliners (and other A-Frame trailers) age the factory springs that help raise the panels generally become weaker. Replacing these springs is not a very easy or economical task. I have noticed that Aliner owners have tried a variety of methods to aid them in raising their roof panels. For some the only option has been to sell their Aliners. " He goes on saying that there are places we can buy these gas spring helper that we see on the newer aframe camper.. Does anyone know if we can get get them from rockwood.They are placed on the 4 corners

Emile

Old 07-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #2

Our units use torsion bars....not springs like aliners, or chalets.
Non issue for us...
These two other manufacturers do not work the same as our units..nor do the owners have the same aditude.
D-mo

Old 07-25-2016, 06:45 AM   #3

Take a look at the pictures in the linked thread ! Looks like Forest River has them installed on the 2017 hard sides.
L@@K 2017 Hardside Interiors Are Here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	115202  
Old 08-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #4

I would like to add gas springs to my aframe,could you tell me where I can find the article you mention? Thanks
Old 08-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Wilson View Post
Take a look at the pictures in the linked thread ! Looks like Forest River has them installed on the 2017 hard sides.
L@@K 2017 Hardside Interiors Are Here
I would be very leery of how those gas lift units are mounted at the lower end. The closer the lift units are to the end of the camper, the shorter they can be, and the more leverage works against them. I see significant stress being put on the lower mount point when the roof is not latched open.

The wall would need some reinforcement, and probably more than just a pad like is under the roof latches. To me, the better route would be some form of torsion spring at the hinges, similar to what garage and swinging doors commonly use.

just my thoughts
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
Old 08-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #6

My Aframe has these and there are reinforcements in the lower installation area. They are hidden from sight by the mattress and the dinette cushion.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:23 PM   #7

gas spring

Here is where the article is ..as written in july by Tom Hovander on Facebook
"A Frame Campers: Aliner, Chalet, Rockwood/Flagstaff, Starcraft, ".
But you must be a member .. but as all Facebook links it is very easy to do.. Just apply and wait to be accepted to this fine group. This site is a must for all aframe owners. Full of ideals and discussion, photos , events, rallies. Yoy can then scroll to this well written article..

Emile
Old 09-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #8

I have finished writing the final version of the article on how I installed gas springs on an older A-Frame trailer. It incorporates all my findings to date and would likely help anybody wanting to do this. I have chosen the location being used by Flagstaff for the lower pivot ball

You are welcome to have a copy of the final document in PDF format if you want it. It has a recommended source for buying the gas springs. They are less than $30.00 each in Stainless Steel from my recommended source.

It is a pretty easy installation using my procedures. Mine has aluminum side walls. If you have a newer Aliner trailer the walls are of thin fiberglass. Subsequently Aliner trailers from the factory don't use the location that is optimum for lifting torque as does Flagstaff who apparently use thicker and stronger fiberglass walls.

But there is hope. Another Aliner owner came up with a fix for that weakness in his newer Aliner trailer that has these thin fiberglass walls. His fix is included in that article.

My article is not available on any forum at present. I have been consulting with the original (retired mechanical engineer) designer of the concept who introduced the concept in Australia. Several local folks are opposed to the concept of adding gas springs and instead seem to think that we should just replace the large internal factory springs. they also oppose the factories installing these. I don't agree. But I am the kind of person who got the first mouse-type computer, automatic sprinkler controls, first microwave, etc. There are always those who stand opposed to new ideas, progress, and change. I would bet alot of folks never thought the concept of an A-Frame trailer would work or sell.

If you want to learn more about how some of us have installed gas springs, rather than dealing with the ever-weakening factory internal springs, just request a free copy of my article. It was written for people who also want a simple fix to the age-old problem of metal springs weakening over time.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #9

Can you tell me how they transferred the vertical force to the inside? A couple of us retired engineers have some ideas for transferring the force through the wall and your comment leaves more to be revealed.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #10

An Answer to Your Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by couzi View Post
HI here is part of an article written by Brian Hovander on a frame club un facebook about help raising roof panel in older aframe camper
"Adding Gas Springs to an A-Frame Trailer
Section I: The Long-Standing Problem of Lifting A-Frame Trailer Roof Panels
As our Aliners (and other A-Frame trailers) age the factory springs that help raise the panels generally become weaker. Replacing these springs is not a very easy or economical task. I have noticed that Aliner owners have tried a variety of methods to aid them in raising their roof panels. For some the only option has been to sell their Aliners. " He goes on saying that there are places we can buy these gas spring helper that we see on the newer aframe camper.. Does anyone know if we can get get them from rockwood.They are placed on the 4 corners

Emile
I can send you the final version of the article if you are going to also do this to your trailer. My source was "go2marine.com". They have a great selection and good prices.

Tags
gas, roo, roof