Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
mgtann

Gas Tanks in Tunnels

We will be going on a long trip and would like to know the rules for traveling thru tunnels with propane gas tanks. A friend thought we had to undo the hoses and shut them off. If anyone knows I would appreciate the info.

Thanks
mgtann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #2

Different tunnels / states have different rules. Some you do nothing, some you turn the gas off, some you can not go through at all. Check your route before you leave.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Different tunnels / states have different rules. Some you do nothing, some you turn the gas off, some you can not go through at all. Check your route before you leave.

I see that you're in PA. The PA turnpike's rule is that the tanks are supposed to be off (just closed at the tank). You don't have to actually disconnect any hoses or anything like that. I've never been stopped and asked. And, I've been through those tunnels many times with my tanks on (before I knew the rules).

The tunnels in Baltimore prohibit any propane tank greater than 10 lbs. If you're stopped and checked, supposedly they'll make you exit into the city which would be a mess to deal with.

The Virginia Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel makes you have them off and they'll ask you at the toll. If it is on, they'll make you stop and turn it off.

So, like said- different rules for different roads and tunnels.

Tags
gas, tank