Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #51
Retread Popup Owner

Ours also towed extremely well unloaded, during the 1 1/2 hour drive home from the dealer. She tracked straight as an arrow whether at speed on the freeway or on county two lanes, even when large semis were blowing by.

The front storage trunk has a label on the door, limiting the amount of weight to be stowed there to 150 pounds. I weighed each item I'll be putting in there individually (used a bathroom scale with me and the item on it, then deducted my weight), and I'm coming in at 140 pounds. The front is lightened a little with the items we have stowed in the rear dinette storage...but not that much because the majority of the fulcrum is in front of the axle. To add a bit more to the rear of the fulcrum, I will stow my EZ Up canopy inside the camper, positioned so that more of it is behind the axle than in front. That gets my tongue weight right about where I need it.

I'm going to take the loaded camper out for a test drive this weekend, in preparation for the 5 hour drive for the Labor Day weekend.

I'm not sure any of that helps, but there it is.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #52

Thanks Wojo that helps me a lot. I have to thank everyone else that has been posting all this helpful info. I wish the dealer here had at least one of each version to compare. I'd rather buy the one I "really" want instead of buying the one I think I want and then find out later I should have gotten a different one.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #53
Retread Popup Owner

I know what you mean. I looked for a long time for a dealer that had one with the front deck...or any at all for that matter. It wasn't until I extended my search to include both Rockwood and Flagstaff that I found a relatively close dealer with any in stock.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #54

Even tho I have a front deck, I always carry the ez up canopy inside the trailer, against the fridge. Its my insurance to keep the door from accidentally opening while enroute. Lee's & Dan's experience of spilled contents was all I needed to hear. When my best friend bought her TH, I told her about the door opening but she wasnt worried. We caravaned to the show & when she opened her trailer, her fridge contents were all over the floor. She's tightened the screw & its stayed closed, but I dont mind carrying the canopy in for travel.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote