Old 04-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #1

Generator for a122

I have been doing some research on generators for longer summer trips.

The key requirement for me was recharging the battery. At least once a summer I go on a 9 day trip in July or August and keeping the battery topped off was a concern. But while I was looking i decided to see if I could also find one that would run the AC and Microwave (not at the same time).

I knew that the smaller hondas were hit or miss and there were some mods to add a start capacitor to the units but then i came across this unit from Westinghouse (WH2000i)

I was a bit skeptical due its smaller size engine and lower weight. I figured it was just over rated for marketing. After doing some more digging i came across a few test videos on youtube and they seemed pretty positive.

Well I figured for the price it was a better value than the Honda's out there and I knew westinghouse has some good frame generators and decided to give it a shot. Worst case i had a nice inverter generator that would charge everything and then some.

Well i just got the unit in today. Added oil and some gas and the thing started up on the second pull. Very smooth and easy start.

I hooked up the camper and everything was charging well. At this point I decided to run the deciding test, The AC.

For the first test I kept the generator on Eco mode and just fired up the AC. The fan turned on and then the compressor kicked in. There was a moment of hesitation on the AC unit while the generator fought to ramp up the load but it fought through it and a second later the generator was at full RPM and the AC was running.

Next I shut down the AC and tried the microwave. Same thing. I powered on the microwave and there was a brief moment of hesitation where the light went dim in the microwave before it was at full power and running fine.

At this point I repeated these tests this time with Eco mode off. And as expected both the AC and the Microwave (individually) ran without issue or hesitation as the unit was already at the higher RPM.

I did not test both at the same time as that is clearly beyond the 1800 watt rating of the unit.

Obviously I would turn the Eco mode off if i was planning on using the microwave or turn the AC on to cool off the trailer, but it was nice knowing that albeit with a slight hesitation that if I forgot to flip the Eco switch before using the microwave that it was able to handle the change in load.

Overall for the price i paid, I am VERY happy with the unit. It was a bit lighter than i expected (I was looking at the larger 2000 watt units prior) and is quiet. Under full RPM i was able to hear it from inside the unit when it was near the trailer tongue. But it is a very comfortable sound. A low purr and not distracting or bothersome at all (keep in mind that I am coming from using an open frame generator).

It may not be a Honda or Yamaha, but i would at this point I would call it a solid product. Time will tell if it lasts as well, but i suspect that it will.

Obviously your mileage may vary with the AC. It is my understanding that 1800/2200 watt is right on the fence with the power needed to run these units. But based on my use so far the generator seems to live up to its ratings.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

i would have advised you to get a Champion 2000w inverter generator, which is cheaper and has a superb customer support system nationwide.

it's been around for quite a while now and has been well tested by owners.

whose going to do the warranty work on your Westinghouse if you have problems? of course the Westinghouse name has been bought by Chinese companies to brand their tv's, appliances and now generators.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #3

That was pretty much my second choice. It was out of stock on amazon and only available through 3rd party sellers when I was ordering. otherwise the shipping was killing the deal for me if I recall.

I was also looking at the Hyundai 2200 watt unit but the weight was about 30 lbs more if I recall.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

yea, i understand.
it's just that this Westinghouse is the first time i've ever heard of it, on any of the 6 RV forums i'm on. and i read all the generator posts/threads.

i never seen anyone post about it, let alone own one.

i guess you're the Guinea Pig on this one.

it doesn't appear be paralleled, is this correct?

also, Costco is selling the Yamaha-powered Smarter Tools 2000w inverter generator that can be paralleled, for around $620.

Smarter Tools 2000W Gasoline Inverter Generator
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
yea, i understand.
it's just that this Westinghouse is the first time i've ever heard of it, on any of the 6 RV forums i'm on. and i read all the generator posts/threads.

i never seen anyone post about it, let alone own one.

i guess you're the Guinea Pig on this one.

it doesn't appear be paralleled, is this correct?

also, Costco is selling the Yamaha-powered Smarter Tools 2000w inverter generator that can be paralleled, for around $620.

Smarter Tools 2000W Gasoline Inverter Generator
My local costco does not carry any inverter generators. That was the first place I looked.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #6

EU-2000 amp draw

I just now got a chance to test the amperage draw of the cool cat. The EU-2000 is brand new, glad the honda runs the AC!

just the fan 2.25 amps
initial compressor kick in 18 amps
compressor running 9 amps

Not in Eco mode
Old 07-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
Mostly Harmless

Generator for a122

18 amps, hmmm. That explains why my dealer took such pains to impress on me not to try using the cool cat while plugged in to my garage's 15 amp circuit. I assumed it was a high amperage draw but didn't have the numbers 'till now. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
18 amps, hmmm. That explains why my dealer took such pains to impress on me not to try using the cool cat while plugged in to my garage's 15 amp circuit. I assumed it was a high amperage draw but didn't have the numbers 'till now. Thanks!

It's funny you say that. In an effort to beat the heat I took a nap in the driveway parked camper with the AC on. 15 amps, no problem.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
Mostly Harmless

Enlightening. You're sure the outlet you were plugged into was 15 amps? Code (at least the code here) says garage outlets should be on a 20 amp circuit but somehow the folks who built my house got by with putting just 15 amps out there.

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:32 AM   #10

I ran the roof top ac on my old trailer on a fifteen amp circuit through the 30 amp cable. I have also run the Coolcat on the same circuit. What ever the start up draw, it was not enough to trip the breaker.

Modern code may now require 20 amp plugs, a good thing, but my house was built in the early 60's with 15 amps circuits. At the time copper was very costly. A few houses that used to be in the neighborhood had all aluminum wiring, thus "the used to be."

I have subsequently put in 20 amp circuits in some places because the heavier gauge wire is not that much more expensive now. I am going to a state park in a few weeks, staying at a screen shelter with a 20 amp circuit and planning on running my Coolcat there through a 10 gauge extension cord and dog bone adapter.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122, generator