Old 03-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

Generator for cool cat?

I've searched for this specific topic on FRF and elsewhere without luck but if I've missed this question, I apologize in advance. We bought a Rockwood A122S ESP last fall and AC wasn't needed on our one camping trip. But, we're headed west soon and I'm shopping for a generator/inverter to run the Dometic Cool Cat heat pump (#441003-701). If that's the only thing we can run off the generator that's fine, but AC is a must and I don't want to be dependent on shore power. Dometic's power specs calls for 2.8kw. Whether this is surge or continuous isn't stated so I'm assuming continuous which means 3.1kw surge. Given the limited number of locations available for generator/fuel on the A122S most generators capable of 3.1kw are too big physically so at this point I'm concluding two ganged 2200 watt Hondas are my best option unless I fabricate a platform for a larger generator above the LP tanks (any suggestions appreciated). A rear bumper carrier isn't an option - the frame is too wimpy to hang an 90 lb. generator on plus the spare tire would interfere. Are there other options I'm missing? It's the Dick Cheney conundrum: I feel like I know what I know but, I don't know what I don't know and half of what I knew I forgot. Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1812_small.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	507.7 KB
ID:	166534  

Cloudrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #2

I put my 3100 Champion in the back of the truck. You don't mention your tow vehicle.

MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Site Team

I read posts from A-frame owners that they ran their Cool Cat with a 2000w INVERTER generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #4

Not Likely on a 2k genset/inverter

We found that with our Yamaha 2k inverter we could not consistently power the Cool-Cat A/C in our A214HW which appears to have the same unit as yours. Usually it would just put the inverter into overload as soon as the compressor kicked on. There were a few times where it ran for a few minutes once the compressor was on but then the inverter would again go into overload.
I tried wiring in a hard-start capacitor in the circuit for the compressor which did not have any impact. I have heard stories where this low-cost option has worked for folks and figured I would start with this as it was the cheapest option.
As we enjoy the size and quietness of the Yamaha 2k we are still looking for a way to make it work. I will be ordering the EasyStart soft-starter product from www.micro-air.net within the next several months and give it a shot. There are some hopeful testimonials and reviews that make me think it is worth a shot at $300 bucks.
Worst case scenario I can send it back and start looking at a bigger generator but I really hope it doesn't come down to that.

Cheers,
Ugorico
ugorico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:45 PM   #5

A Honda EU2200i with a smart starter from microair.net will run your Coolcat A/C.
Alben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #6

I found I was able to run mine with a Honda 2000, though not in eco mode. In use I thought it needed refueling too frequently so I gave up on it!

Here's a video of it in operation at home:

It worked very similarly at around 5000ft.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #7

What does the micro-air do?
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPP View Post
What does the micro-air do?
The Micro-Air link has detailed information. It is not a simple, cheap, capacitor that hard start kits are. The Micro-Air EasyStart is an electronic microprocessor controlled unit that "learns" after five start cycles what the ideal compressor start ramp power for your particular compressor is.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:33 PM   #9

Hello Cloudrider,

You are correct regarding the 2.8 kW requirement when using the AC on the Cool Cat. I faced the same issues as you regarding purchasing a single big generator that had the minimum 2.8kW capacity which would be too heavy to load/unload and move around.

I've heard others state that they purchased a 2,000 watt generator and it worked for them but when considering the stated specs on the Cool Cat at a 2,800 watt draw, I didn't want to consider one generator with specs of 2,000 max watts of power.

I instead opted to go with the Honda EU2000i & Companion. This provides two generators working in Parallel. The combined continuous output for them is 3200 watts and 26.7 amps. This allows for operation of the AC on the Cool Cat with extra power available for some other stuff.

When we need generator power but not using the AC like in the fall of the year, we just use the EU2000i and don't combine it with the companion generator. The 2000 watt power of the single generator has worked great for us in the fall camping seasons.

The Honda EU2000i and Companion also has a maximum output for 30 minutes or shorter of 4000 watts and 33.3 amps.

These Hondas are quite while in the eco-throttle mode. I mean really quite!! They weigh about 45 lbs. each so they can easily be lifted into the back of a truck bed, etc. We have been very pleased with the purchase of these and have ALWAYS had enough power. I purchased a couple heavy duty storage tubs....(I think at Walmart) to store them in. If this is something you want to do, I could take a picture of the tubs I purchased. They needed a little retrofitting.....cutting away of some of lid structure on the inside so the handles of the generators would fit.

This subject (just like what is the best tow vehicle) typically draws many responses in this forum with folks having strong feelings regarding their generator choices and opinions. This is just my experience as one option. Hope this might be helpful for you in making your decision.

Best regards,

Terry

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:33 PM   #10

When I bought my T-12 I already had a Honda EU3000is that I used as a home backup. I cut a plywood deck and mounted it where the propane bottles go.

Works real well, but only combined with my motorcycle carried on the rear as a counter-balance for the extra weight on the tongue.

BTW, you can carry weight on the rear of the camper with a suitable carrier:

Heavy duty rear hitch receiver for hardside

Because the camper axle is 2/3 of the way back from the coupler, the ratio of tongue weight to rear carry weight is 2 to 1 - i.e. 300 lbs. rear weight is balanced by 150 lbs. front weight.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, generator