Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2015, 04:02 PM   #1

Generator use

This is probably a dumb question, but I am new to generator use and want to do a lot of off-the-grid camping. My question is this: to use the generator, do I just attach the A122S 30-amp electrical cord to the generator's 30 amp outlet and run the cord to the inlet on the left side of the trailer? If so, is that all that needs to be done? I probably won't use the genie for more than lights and my wife's CPAP machine, possibly the furnace on cold nights. I may or may not try to run the AC off of it. Would all of this work, as long as I wasn't running a lot of stuff all at the same time? My Generator is the Honda EU2000i "Companion" model. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #2

That's it so far as connections go.

If it's just the interior lights you shouldn't need the generator to run them.
You do need the generator to run the a/c.
You don't need it to run the furnace.
rwarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #3

Generator hook-up

Thanks Kwarrin, that's what I suspected.

Kent
Old 08-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #4

I should clarify when I say "you don't need your generator to do xxxx" I am assuming you have a charged battery.
rwarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #5

Kdot, I believe that the CPAP runs on 110ac, so you would need to run the shore power cord. If the CPAP can run on 12vdc, then hooking up the genie's 12v straight to the battery would be fine.

The easiest way to think about it is:
Hooked to shore power, run anything.
Hooked to battery, run only 12v things.

My 2¢
Jim
Jim n Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:19 PM   #6

Generator use

Jim and Shari,

I discovered that the trailer shore power cable would not hook up to the 30 outlet on the generator, so I used an adaptor to attach the cable to the 110 outlet on the gennie, and hooked it up to the connector on the side of the trailer. I'm assuming, from what you've said, that doing it that way won't charge the battery or power any of the 12v stuff. Am I understanding that correctly? I'm really not sure I've got the hang of using this thing yet.

kdot
Old 08-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #7

The shore power line will power everything. Shore power goes into an inverter that charges the battery. When you unhook shore power all that you are left with is 12v.
Jim n Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #8

The Northern Tools site says you need two to power A/C
  • 120V, 2000 Watt max.; 1600 Watt rated output
  • One 20 amp 120V outlet and one 30 amp, 120V outlet which allows connection to another EU2000i to double the power
  • GX100 OHC engine
  • Will power most RV rooftop AC units when used in parallel with another EU2000i generator.
  • I don't know anything about generators though I had thought about getting a small one, but my A frame does all I need on shore power.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

The genny will power up the 120 volts and power the converter to use 12 volt power plus charge the battery.
If you have a good battery system you may be able to run a Cpap system with the use of a inverter plugged into to a 12 volt.
The Honda 2000 Companion needs an adapter from the 30amp plug to the 30 amp cord to the TT.
If you have a surge protector in the line you will need an adapter to allow the floating ground to be tied to the neutral of the generator. If you don't do this the surge protector will think there is a problem.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
My Generator is the Honda EU2000i "Companion" model.
That is a QUALITY Generator - and amongst the Quietest. (If you are looking to run it at night for Wife's CPAP, that will be IMPORTANT - unless you want the Ranger to come knocking to INSIST that you Turn It Off; or a Neighbor to simply walk over and Turn It Off.) If you ARE going to Dry Camp or Boondock, you really SHOULD get a 12V CPAP Machine. With a 110V CPAP System, if the Genie dies (mechanical issue or gas or ...) then you really have very few options but to pack-up in the middle of the night and make a drive to a Power Outlet. With a 12V System, you can power it from Genie or Battery (double-up your TT Batteries for even more insurance) or even the Car Battery. And all can sleep soundly knowing you have backup options and the Genie doesn't have to Break Curfew!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
I probably won't use the genie for more than lights and my wife's CPAP machine, possibly the furnace on cold nights. I may or may not try to run the AC off of it. Would all of this work, as long as I wasn't running a lot of stuff all at the same time?
Your Honda will possibly run your AC, but more likely not unless it is one of the smaller 10K units put on A-frames and smallest PUPs. Your Battery will run the Lights and the Furnace for the Night (maybe 2-3 if you are thrifty). Your Genie will be needed for a Microwave or Hairdryer or Coffee Pot - but if you run the Genie for Midnight Popcorn then you'd better expect Company...
Old 08-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #11

I agree about getting a 12V CPAP. There are some nice small ones that also come with 120V power supplies to double for regular travel machines. Even some that come with rechargeable battery packs that will power them for a full night.

Like others have said, I don't like being without options to make sure I can use my CPAP. I only skip the machine when backpacking and then only do backpack for overnights. But I feel the difference in the morning.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator