Old 09-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

Smile Getting Closer to Purchase

Hello Everyone,
I have been lurking for 6 months while I have tried to decide if the A Frame is best for our family. Your information and tips on this form are wonderful. I am looking for a Rockwood A128/ Flagstaff T12DD without the storage in the front. I have a first quote for an A128S $12928 that includes the screen room plus tax and tags. I have no idea if this is fair or what is the bottom price I should try for. Thank you for help. I hope to be an owner in the next few months.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi and welcome to the FR forums! Doing your research now can help you make a good & fair deal. There will always be someone that got a better deal but that's part of life. Don't be quick to accept the first price offer. This is like buying a car with lots of wiggle room built in.

Take care,
Terier

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #3

I got the A128S and it is front heavy. If your tow vehicle has a max of over 400 pds tongue weight, go for the extra storage you won't regret it. I was able to manage by removing both propane tanks and move them to the rear storage during the trip and put light stuff in the storage.
I like the screen room and always use it. Since I cook and have the dining table in there I don't have to break the bed to a table.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1896143402.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	19346
As you could see in the pic I carry 2 bikes in front. Putting a bike carrier in the rear is not recommended by FR. I also just hook up 1 propane during camping.

Good luck on your shopping and welcome here
Old 09-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #4

Differant dealers offer differant prices for their campers so it is wise to shop around if at all possible. I have the 2012 A128S, it listed for 14k and we got it for 11k. I was very happy with the price. I did not get the screen room, seemed way over priced for my needs.
Good Luck in your decision.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Where you from ?
Maybe others can direct you to a dealer close by that has a good reputation and competitive pricing .

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1050
Hello Everyone,
I have been lurking for 6 months while I have tried to decide if the A Frame is best for our family. Your information and tips on this form are wonderful. I am looking for a Rockwood A128/ Flagstaff T12DD without the storage in the front. I have a first quote for an A128S $12928 that includes the screen room plus tax and tags. I have no idea if this is fair or what is the bottom price I should try for. Thank you for help. I hope to be an owner in the next few months.
Hi, I am a new member and shopping also. We have looked at several different brands, had sticker shock, nasty dealer experience with Chalet in Grand Junction, Colorado, great dealer experience in Oregon City, Oregon and finally home surprised to find Forest River Rockwood fairly near our Oklahoma home base. Pricing taking some getting used to. We are old folks and not new to camping or RVs, just the reduced size. We've had pickup campers years ago, fifth wheels now sitting at a lake place serving as cabins, a roof top tent (now that's been a real experience for our stiff old bodies) a living quarters horse trailer complete with two trail horses and now things are changing again. Chevy Duramax 2500 and last big LQ horse trailer replaced by 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser and european fiberglass two horse bumper pull for horses. Still have tent, deciding weather to sell or mount on hubby old truck or a trailer, decisions, decisions. And then enter the A frame campers. They seem like a great solution too our camping needs but finding one we can afford on our retirement income and still be able to go some too has been the hold up. Finally narrowed it down to two places but final model........ I like to go but do tend to enjoy cool when it's hot and warm when it's cold, a potty and shower with out an outdoor stroll so my bank account is definitely going to take a hit. I just love the little buggers I've seen so far and since our son just purchased a new Forest River fifth wheel to go with his new Ford F250 we are impressed with their quality and value. Well probably go to the same dealer he did in north Texas as their prices are the best and include awning/screen room. It sure seems strange though that a 28' fifth wheel with all the fancies can be had for $18,000.00 and a 17' "tiny tim" runs $12-13,000.+ Go figure. Since the FJ Cruiser will be our tow/tour vehicle the Rockwood seems the best fix for us. Can't wait to get to dealer and get serious. With our two Honda 2000s we can camp comfortable anywhere.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

get quotes from RVDirect for price comparisons.
they should have them for about as cheap as you can buy them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #8

Thanks

Thanks for suggestion on price comparisons. Sorry for the lengthy post. Enjoy all the info on the forum. Get tickled at some as I see my husband and I in some of them when we first started camping. If it can be done or screwed up we've been there and done that.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #9

I think the price you are quoted is great if it is truly your outthe door price. I think you will fond a price as low as 10k but one tax and licensing is added it would put you near the 12k range. I negotiated my trailer for 12.5 w/screenroom (its the longer, heavier and priciest of the FR hardsided pop ups) - the MSRP on my unit varied from dealer to dealer and state to state because freight prices were so different...west coast being higher. In the end, I decided to biy in the region because my personal time is more valuable to me than saving a few hundred dollars and time/stress on the road...there is false perception re: tax savings for people buyimg out of state.....as once you register in your state, they will charge the difference accordingly...I bought in my state, however- the tax rate varies county to county. My county charges less than the county I bought in and in the end the dealership issued a refund of that difference once the plates came in....a nice 135- check back to me. LOL

As long as you feel like you did your research in ensuring the A Frame is really what you want & you shop the price regionally and find the average price for what you want, you can negotiate from there. I liketo buy big ticket items and love negotiating...I started my offer at 40% less than the MSRP - remember, you can ALWAYS go up. If you come in too "high" then you didnt leave any wiggle room to negotiate for your bet deal. Of course they will act wounded/offended at your low ball offer....give them a day or two to come back to you...believe me, they will call you back with a counter offer.

My friend is in process of buying a trailer like mine. I stopped in the dealership and spoke w/GM, told him how they lost my business due to rude salesman BUT I had a friend who was looking & sure hoped they might treat her better. She then contacted them the next day & they discussed her offer. They would not budge. They called her back the next day with a counter offer which she declined but made her own counter offer which they declined. 2 days passed, they called her back with another counter offer. She still did not like so she said she'd think about and is now biding her time. I recc she wait until weather starts turning...they are not going to want to floor thru the season if they can sell it before. LOL

Best of luck and enjoy maling the purchase - you are the one with the pocketbook...so you have the upper hand in negotiting...;-)

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #10

We had a real unique sales experience in Colorado. Price was as listed, no wiggle, no conversation, very abrupt and dismissive, no call back and unit was "sold" when we had a relative go by to check it out. All of their stuff was the same. Nasty folks. We are in Oklahoma no man's landso to speak, andwas reallyxurprised to find a dealer only 3 hours away. Next best option is 6 hour drive from home but only 1 1/2 hours from lake place we are getting ready to put on market so will kill two birds with onestone ina week or so. We won't be driving far soon so will be firm in our offer while on the lot. May be shooting ourselves in foot but is what it is for us. We don't have to be ina hurry. Have horses and trailer to haul to Illinois for sale so that is another place to look in next couple weeks. Think maybe the hunt is the exciting part? I wouldrather just settle it and be able to enjoy, now.